• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Lockout for the NFL during the 2021 season?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they should be content. But too many posters here like to try and make them out to be a victim.

The average Joe makes about $55k. He/she needs to pay medical, life and retirement if they want it. Majority do not have any guarentees. They can be let go tomorrow. A business owner may need to close. Why can't someone making 10x that amount not afford it? 10x is the minimum a player makes.

What you’re saying is because their bottom end pay is so much higher than the avg Joe, they should be able to make good with the income they have. I don’t disagree with that at all, but that’s a different topic.

What happens after the player deposits the check is 100% on the player…same with you and me. In that regard they are just like us. To hear about the guy that makes $50k a yr and what his life is like, I get that side of it.

Even the player I was talking to about this was not in the whoa is me mode. He fully recognizes that no one feels sorry for pro athletes when it comes to financial issues when they make more than our entire lifetime earnings in just 3 or 4 yrs.

Relative to other pro sports leagues…that’s really what this about and why NFL players drag up the rear in earning when they work in the most lucrative sports league.

They really need to fix their own house (the NFLPA) first….also another topic.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like every Company everywhere. Owners start it up, take the risk and reap the rewards. If the players don't like their salaries or their jobs they can look elsewhere for work just like the rest of us. I think what they are paid is more than fair already and I have no sympathy for them.

At the same time I applaud any of them that feels it's not a good deal for them and wants to leave for another field. I guess sooner or later that may happen, or maybe not...So I guess it is a pretty damn good deal for them

At what point of this where you not “Fuck players, the owners get all the say”

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports coming out of CBS Sports:

NFLPA apparently advising players to plan for an NFL work stoppage of at least one year!

Link posted below:

NFLPA apparently advising players to plan for an NFL work stoppage of at least one year
Fuck 'em. Bring in replacements.

tdy_tren_football_150429.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point of this where you not “Fuck players, the owners get all the say”
You again completely bastardize what I wrote and pretend it means something that fits your drama Queen narrative. The use of "quotes" are cute though. Almost reads as if I said that to someone not paying attention

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK
I'll pay you x million to play 16 games. Or I pay you slightly more but guarenteed to play 162. I know which one I'm picking.
You can't put a value on time.
You want to attend Spring Training or go through an NFL training camp?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL players work just as many hours in a year as baseball players do.

I'd pick the 16 games because I like football more than baseball. But I'd do so knowing I would be putting in an equal amount of work....and the work was a lot harder.
Exactly....people don't take into account practice is harder than games for football players. Baseball players? None of it is really taxing (other than boredom during the baseball game).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working out and getting treatments is not work. Many of us pay to do it after an 8 hour + day. Studying plays while on vacation in the Caribean isn't work either.
Bottom line even practice (as limited as it is in the NFL now) is not work. They're getting paid to play a game, many of us (depending on the sport and level) paid to play growing up. Thanks Mom and Dad.
I like many others here would trade anything to play a pro sport. Especially one that only had a 16 game season.
You really think no difference between Spring Training and an NFL camp?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My arguement is simple. 81 games away from home a year. That doesn't include travel. Baseball is the closest thing to a year round sport. They did do themselves well. Especially considering how viewership has dropped. The baseball owners should be complaining big time. Crazy the contracts they are giving out.
Fair points, but each series is usually 3-4 games in one place. BBall teams I would think are doing actual travel a bit more. Not to mention baseball not exactly a tiring sport when it comes to games.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to attend Spring Training or go through an NFL training camp?
Either way I'm getting paid to workout or play a game. Even during the season NFL contact during practice is limited.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think no difference between Spring Training and an NFL camp?
I'm not afraid of a little exercise, studying, best trainers and latest technology.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, are you more afraid of standing around and occasionally jogging?
Again not afraid of either.
I'll let you off the hook.
Yes football is more strenuous. Big deal. For $500k I'll let them use me as a tackling dummy.

You do realize during the season a team engages in heavy contact 3x on a given week. Less during the off season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again not afraid of either.
I'll let you off the hook.
Yes football is more strenuous. Big deal. For $500k I'll let them use me as a tackling dummy.

You do realize during the season a team engages in heavy contact 3x on a given week. Less during the off season.
And baseball players engage in heavy contact...well....never. There is no playbook to learn, no scheme, no gameplan. Have you ever been to Spring Training? A lot of standing around. Not much strenuous activity.

Yes, less contact in offseason, but they do have OTAs and other camps. Baseball ends the season and has nothing until ST. Though I guess you could say baseball players can mimic ST during the offseason as they can stand around and do nothing all they want.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And baseball players engage in heavy contact...well....never. There is no playbook to learn, no scheme, no gameplan. Have you ever been to Spring Training? A lot of standing around. Not much strenuous activity.

Yes, less contact in offseason, but they do have OTAs and other camps. Baseball ends the season and has nothing until ST. Though I guess you could say baseball players can mimic ST during the offseason as they can stand around and do nothing all they want.

The majority of bb players workout all year. Most want to stay agile, so no you won't see the majority bulking up.

Again a bb player is away for 81 games. Football 8. I'll take I'll take home cooking and a four month schedule all day. Even with a couple of weeks of OTAs and camp. Half of which isn't mandatory.

OBTW any decent baseball player studies their opponent as well.

For a minimum of $500k I'll go sit in the film room and take my playbook home about 325 days/nights a year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of bb players workout all year. Most want to stay agile, so no you won't see the majority bulking up.

Again a bb player is away for 81 games. Football 8. I'll take I'll take home cooking and a four month schedule all day. Even with a couple of weeks of OTAs and camp. Half of which isn't mandatory.

OBTW any decent baseball player studies their opponent as well.

For a minimum of $500k I'll go sit in the film room and take my playbook home about 325 days/nights a year.
You get these guys aren't flying commercial, sleeping in a Days Inn and eating White castle, right (no offense to the sliders)?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get these guys aren't flying commercial, sleeping in a Days Inn and eating White castle, right (no offense to the sliders)?

Apparently you haven't travelled much?

I have and have stayed in shit holes and 5 stars all over the world. With all my miles and perks I was upgraded quite often. I had both airport lounge access as well as hotel executive lounge access. I really was lucky as that certainly made travel as manageable as it could be.

One thing I didn't have or couldn't buy was time. Time with family and friends. Time to just telax. Time to come and go as I pleased. Time to just be in my own home. You never can get lost time back.

I'll take the NFL schedule along with the rigors everyTIME.