• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Draft Scenario

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a mock draft that had the following:

1. Jags: Trevor Lawrence QB
2. Jets: Justin Fields QB
3. Dolphins: Ja'Marr Chase
4. Falcons: Kyle Pitts
5. Bengals: Penei Sewell
6. Eagles: Mac Jones QB
7. Lions: Davonte Smith
8. Panthers: Zach Wilson QB
9. Broncos: Trey Lance QB
10. Cowboys : Patrick Surtain II

In a scenario like this, do you think the Broncos would be willing to give up a 1st next year and a 2nd this year to land their QB in Zach Wilson? Granted, you don't know how the draft plays out from the 6 to 9 if you are the Broncos, but if the top of the draft was to play out like this up to the Bengals, and Wilson is sitting there, do you think that is a move they may be willing to make? We still probably land Sewell, and even if we don't they are debating on whether or not Slater might be a better long term player at T.

If we made that trade and Sewell is gone, I almost consider trading down again if there are any takers around the mid teens, and pick up another 2nd this year and and a 2nd next year and start shooting for guys like: Parsons, Waddle, Rousseau, Samuels.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a mock draft that had the following:

1. Jags: Trevor Lawrence QB
2. Jets: Justin Fields QB
3. Dolphins: Ja'Marr Chase
4. Falcons: Kyle Pitts
5. Bengals: Penei Sewell
6. Eagles: Mac Jones QB
7. Lions: Davonte Smith
8. Panthers: Zach Wilson QB
9. Broncos: Trey Lance QB
10. Cowboys : Patrick Surtain II

In a scenario like this, do you think the Broncos would be willing to give up a 1st next year and a 2nd this year to land their QB in Zach Wilson? Granted, you don't know how the draft plays out from the 6 to 9 if you are the Broncos, but if the top of the draft was to play out like this up to the Bengals, and Wilson is sitting there, do you think that is a move they may be willing to make? We still probably land Sewell, and even if we don't they are debating on whether or not Slater might be a better long term player at T.

If we made that trade and Sewell is gone, I almost consider trading down again if there are any takers around the mid teens, and pick up another 2nd this year and and a 2nd next year and start shooting for guys like: Parsons, Waddle, Rousseau, Samuels.
I could see trading down. Absolutely. I like Sewell, but this draft is really deep at OL - and from how Tobin talked today, you have to think they are going to address OL with at least 2 signings. Who that will be, time will tell, but I think they are going to hit F/A allowing the Bengals a lot of draft flexibility.

At the Bronco's spot, I would certainly be OK with either Parsons at LB or Surtain at CB. Slater would be another interesting guy who can play some OT or kick inside to guard. I'm not sure I see enough in the back half of the 1st round to drop down again. I think if we could make a trade with Denver, that I'd stick there and take one of those 3 based on how F/A plays out. I'd probably lean towards the LB/CB pick as guys like Cosmi and Leatherwood would be available in round 2. If you landed the Bronco's 2nd round pick, you could also land Moore, WR from Ole Miss who many think is one of the better WR's in the draft.

In round 3 I would really look at Brevin Jordan at TE out of Miami. He had a really good year, and is kind of overshadowed a bit by Pitts since they are in close proximity, but I think he could turn into a really good TE down the road.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also in round 3, if you wanted to take a project OT/OG - I am really high on James Hudson from UC. Not just because he's a local guy, but if you go back and look at his tape - the kid is legit. The guy had an insane Sr Bowl against guys who will be going in the 1st 3 rounds, and was a huge reason why UC struggled in the 2nd half against GA in the Peach Bowl after he got ejected for targeting.

He's still a little raw, but he's just scratching the surface. He needs to add a bit more strength and weight, but his feet and lateral movement is insane, and is a reason I wouldn't worry too much about his arm length being just 33" (below the 34" "target" by teams). His ability to absorb blows and redirect and slide with them is elite, and will have the ability to either slide into guard or stay at LT.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if trading down nets us more picks, we might take that offer. You can't put all your eggs in one basket, even if it's a good player, this team has multiple needs and we always tank after a few players get injured.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if trading down nets us more picks, we might take that offer. You can't put all your eggs in one basket, even if it's a good player, this team has multiple needs and we always tank after a few players get injured.
Agreed. If you really wanted to double down on the OL - you can take Slater with the Bronco's pick, and still nab Leatherwood/Cosmi in the 2nd round, and end up with another pick to still land a WR with that 2nd pick in the 2nd round. If you ended up with an additional 3rd, you can still land Hudson and a TE.

Or you can go LB or CB with that 1st pick and take both Cosmi and Leatherwood in round 2 and then the TE from Miami in round 3. Not bad.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. If you really wanted to double down on the OL - you can take Slater with the Bronco's pick, and still nab Leatherwood/Cosmi in the 2nd round, and end up with another pick to still land a WR with that 2nd pick in the 2nd round. If you ended up with an additional 3rd, you can still land Hudson and a TE.

Or you can go LB or CB with that 1st pick and take both Cosmi and Leatherwood in round 2 and then the TE from Miami in round 3. Not bad.
So let's say things panned out the way I had mentioned

Bengals trade #5 to Broncos for their #9, 2nd round pick this year, and next years 3rd.

Bengals then turn around and trade #9 to Las Vegas for their 2nd round pick.

That would give us:

#17 - OT Teven Jenkins (I think he will start flying up boards and could be the best tackle in the draft eventually)
#38 - CB Asante Samuel Jr. (defense)
#40 - LB Dylan Moses (defense)
#48 - DE Carlos Basham Jr. (defense)
#70 - OG James Hudson (offensive line / depth)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's say things panned out the way I had mentioned

Bengals trade #5 to Broncos for their #9, 2nd round pick this year, and next years 3rd.

Bengals then turn around and trade #9 to Las Vegas for their 2nd round pick.

That would give us:

#17 - OT Teven Jenkins (I think he will start flying up boards and could be the best tackle in the draft eventually)
#38 - CB Asante Samuel Jr. (defense)
#40 - LB Dylan Moses (defense)
#48 - DE Carlos Basham Jr. (defense)
#70 - OG James Hudson (offensive line / depth)
That's not bad, either. I think they land an OT/OG in the F/A period, and I think I'd still stick and take Slater, but that works.

I'd probably still look to add either Cosmi or Leatherwood in round 2 just because, you can't have enough OL here. Have to make sure that some of them actually pan out.

But, that add a lot of value across the board for the team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not bad, either. I think they land an OT/OG in the F/A period, and I think I'd still stick and take Slater, but that works.

I'd probably still look to add either Cosmi or Leatherwood in round 2 just because, you can't have enough OL here. Have to make sure that some of them actually pan out.

But, that add a lot of value across the board for the team.
I don't think they are going to see it that way. If you add two in FA and you add two in the draft, they will not add anymore.

They still have some okay players in Williams, Hopkins, Price, Su-a-Filo and Spain. Most those guys are backups, but I think quality backups once you get Pollack back in here and fix the line blocking and the assignments. I see them adding 1 FA on the line and drafting 2 guys in the first 3 rounds I think is most realistic scenario.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they are going to see it that way. If you add two in FA and you add two in the draft, they will not add anymore.

They still have some okay players in Williams, Hopkins, Price, Su-a-Filo and Spain. Most those guys are backups, but I think quality backups once you get Pollack back in here and fix the line blocking and the assignments. I see them adding 1 FA on the line and drafting 2 guys in the first 3 rounds I think is most realistic scenario.
Right - I was just thinking more of developing those guys and having them ready to take over. Either via cap-cut in year 3 or 4, injury, or just replacement. Those guys would be ready to sign their 2nd contract and slide into the starting roles that the previous veterans would be vacating, and would have had a good 2 years to train, learn, and follow those vets and how things get done.

None of the guys who are backups now, I count Williams as a starter for now, will likely be around or are good enough to be keeping an eye on them for the future.