• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Position Evaluation: 1st Base

How should the Giants address 1st base for the 2020 season?

• Keep Belt as the starter

• Platoon Belt & Posey

• Trade Belt & sign a free agent

• Trade Belt for a new 1st baseman (make suggestions of who to trade for in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the free agents who mostly played 1st base in 2019 (age) - 2019 OPS:
Eric Thames (33) - .851
Mitch Moreland (34) - .835
Matt Adams (31) - .741
Neil Walker (34) - .738
Ryan Zimmerman (35) - .736
Logan Forsythe (33) - .678
Mark Reynolds (36) - .601
Lucas Duda (34) - .576
Martin Prado (36) - .559

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are talking 2020 Pre-Bart, or 2020 Post-Bart?

If this is pre-Bart, than Belt should get approx 75% of the reps at 1B, with Posey getting about 15%. Posey get about 65% time at C with Garcia getting the bulk of the remaining.

if we are adding Bart to the equation, Posey should get about 45% time at C, Bart should get about 35% with Garcia making up the difference. Posey should then get about 25% time at 1B with Belt getting about 65% time.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are talking 2020 Pre-Bart, or 2020 Post-Bart?

If this is pre-Bart, than Belt should get approx 75% of the reps at 1B, with Posey getting about 15%. Posey get about 65% time at C with Garcia getting the bulk of the remaining.

if we are adding Bart to the equation, Posey should get about 45% time at C, Bart should get about 35% with Garcia making up the difference. Posey should then get about 25% time at 1B with Belt getting about 65% time.
I don't anticipate Bart being in the equation until late in the 2020 season. I know that he could force his way with a strong showing at AAA (I think we've discussed, before, where he could be assigned to start the year) but I have a feeling that he may only come up toward the end of the season. It will be interesting to see how rookies playing well in the minors will be treated with the new September rules.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isn't belt virtually un-tradable given his contract?

at this point keep both belt and posey until their contracts run out unless some 'too good to pass on' trade materializes

definitely keep posey to coach/bridge the bart transition

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Thames (33) - .851
Matt Adams (31) - .741
Neil Walker (34) - .738
Mark Reynolds (36) - .601
Lucas Duda (34) - .576
Martin Prado (36) - .559
All of those are awful, except for Thames.....but he’s a short term “fix” for a long term answer. So even he is out.

I say, keep Belt and hope for a bounce back year and if he gets “fixed” keep him or maybe look for a trade at the deadline -whatever makes the most sense based off of production/prospects.

At this point, unless Posey rediscovers/redefines his stroke or has successfully rehabbed that hip, I’d rather keep him behind the plate. Why platoon a guy who can’t hit? I’m ok with a bad hitter behind the plate. If Posey’s ego is ok with it, I’d love to have him as a 7/8 hitter because he’s smart for situational hitting. He’s much better as a mentor for Bart if he stays catching as much as possible and I’d imagine he’d be awesome for the young pitchers.

I’m ok with platooning Belt, but not with a guy who’s bat has declined so much. “Saving” Posey’s legs now feels like taking the shackles off of a 12 year old dog.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those are awful, except for Thames.....but he’s a short term “fix” for a long term answer. So even he is out.

I say, keep Belt and hope for a bounce back year and if he gets “fixed” keep him or maybe look for a trade at the deadline -whatever makes the most sense based off of production/prospects.

At this point, unless Posey rediscovers/redefines his stroke or has successfully rehabbed that hip, I’d rather keep him behind the plate. Why platoon a guy who can’t hit? I’m ok with a bad hitter behind the plate. If Posey’s ego is ok with it, I’d love to have him as a 7/8 hitter because he’s smart for situational hitting. He’s much better as a mentor for Bart if he stays catching as much as possible and I’d imagine he’d be awesome for the young pitchers.

I’m ok with platooning Belt, but not with a guy who’s bat has declined so much. “Saving” Posey’s legs now feels like taking the shackles off of a 12 year old dog.

I love Posey, but I have be yipping for years that he is not a top/middle of the order hitter. Noggin just was himself, and was loyal to Posey until September, when Posey was FINALLY moved down in the order to 6 or 7.

Agreed with the take. As long as Posey remains a non-clutch hitter, then it is stoopid to put him at a run producing position. If he hits and remains at C, he is still a fine defensive catcher, and is a plus. A move to first is a downgrade in hitting and a downgrade in defense from Belt.

That said, I think Belt would flourish in another ballpark than the Phone Booth, or whateverthehellwearecallingittoday.

BTW, my annual dues are, er, uh, in the mail. :yo:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isn't belt virtually un-tradable given his contract?

at this point keep both belt and posey until their contracts run out unless some 'too good to pass on' trade materializes

definitely keep posey to coach/bridge the bart transition
Yes, unless the Giants want to dump him and add a prospect or two in a trade. But that would not be dealing from a place of strength.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, unless the Giants want to dump him and add a prospect or two in a trade. But that would not be dealing from a place of strength.

So, for better or worse, Belt is here to stay for the duration of his contract. We’re not going to find a better defensive 1 bagger, so we’ll live with his streakinest (awk, sp). The money’s sunk regardless

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complain!

But I haven't complained!

I love Belt. I'd love to see him rebound and hit the ball! He won't because of our ballpark and I believe his time has passed.

I love Madbum! I'd love to see him win 20. He won't because his time has passed. He'll beat us out of spite I'm sure. But he won't win 12 games.

I love Buster. Even his stupid ass first pitch swinging attack at the plate. But injuries and Father Time have taken their toll on all three.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing how FZ values versatility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Belt in left field for a few games again, and lose some playing time at 1st base to both catchers, as well as some random reclamation project FZ hopes becomes the new Chris Taylor.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for Making Posey full time FB after this season and platoon Belt and Posey this season. But this should be Posey's last season as mainly a catcher. Mid year bring Bart up and platoon them both

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for Making Posey full time FB after this season and platoon Belt and Posey this season. But this should be Posey's last season as mainly a catcher. Mid year bring Bart up and platoon them both

Posey's worth is his defense as a catcher. His hitting has declined horribly the past several seasons. First base is a power/run producing position. Belt is an above average/elite defender. What if Posey hits as he has while being the FT first baseman? There is no advantage to him being at 1st unless his bat/power returns. I'd like to see Bart by midyear, too. The new regime seems more inclined to that than the previous one, which might have held Bart in the minors for another season or three.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey's worth is his defense as a catcher. His hitting has declined horribly the past several seasons. First base is a power/run producing position. Belt is an above average/elite defender. What if Posey hits as he has while being the FT first baseman? There is no advantage to him being at 1st unless his bat/power returns. I'd like to see Bart by midyear, too. The new regime seems more inclined to that than the previous one, which might have held Bart in the minors for another season or three.
While I agree the new brass is cleaning the deck and the dynasty is deader than disco, I don't see any reason to hurry Bart to the bigs this year. If they think he can develop more platooning here ok, but it's not like they are trying to win ballgames yet.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I am confused by your none of the above answer. Keep Belt as the starter was the first choice on the poll.

To know me is to love me...

Here's a thought... Can Yaz play first?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Thames (33) - .851
Matt Adams (31) - .741
Neil Walker (34) - .738