• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Posey.....

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!! although, to be fair, I wouldn't have been outraged if Hayward got it.

My head says Heyward deserved it equally, but my heart would have been pissed off and blamed the East Coast media bias blah blah.

The baseball gods got one right this time...even though the votes were in before the playoffs it's almost like some message from the future and how Posey was going to be >>> Heyward in the postseason got through!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well-deserved. Can't wait to see what he can do with a full season.

This is an interesting point...I'm equally excited and worried about a full season. Remember his hitting tailed off some once he started catching. He's young and all but can he produce like that all year and catch? Does Whiteside catch once a week and then we put Posey at 1B?

What do folks here project him for the full year with the questions above?

I'd be thrilled with .300/.350/.475 and 20-25HRs, but those aren't exactly MVP numbers.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting point...I'm equally excited and worried about a full season. Remember his hitting tailed off some once he started catching. He's young and all but can he produce like that all year and catch? Does Whiteside catch once a week and then we put Posey at 1B?

I'd be thrilled with .300/.350/.475 and 20-25HRs, but those aren't exactly MVP numbers.

I definitely think he will have "off-days" at first, like you suggested. I also agree with your expectations for his full season. He doesn't need be an MVP. If he puts up those numbers, that should allow Torres, Sanchez and Huff to see more fastballs. The big question marks in the line-up are DeRosa, and of course, our buddy, Panda. A solid defensive shortstop with a little speed in the 8-hole should be sufficient even if Ross doesn't continue with the improvements he made to his year in September and October (apparently, the Giants might outbid the Dodgers for the right to sign Nishioka).

In closing, I think Buster will play 135 games or so at catcher and 20-25 at first, depending on his overall health. I think if Panda poops the bed again this year, you'll likely see Posey as the starting third baseman in 2012.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think he will have "off-days" at first, like you suggested. I also agree with your expectations for his full season. He doesn't need be an MVP. If he puts up those numbers, that should allow Torres, Sanchez and Huff to see more fastballs. The big question marks in the line-up are DeRosa, and of course, our buddy, Panda. A solid defensive shortstop with a little speed in the 8-hole should be sufficient even if Ross doesn't continue with the improvements he made to his year in September and October (apparently, the Giants might outbid the Dodgers for the right to sign Nishioka).

In closing, I think Buster will play 135 games or so at catcher and 20-25 at first, depending on his overall health. I think if Panda poops the bed again this year, you'll likely see Posey as the starting third baseman in 2012.

On the surface, I do not disagree with this.

A lot depends on 2 factors, though.

1) How do Sanchez and Joseph develop? Both are higher-end prospects and could be ready for the discussion by mid-season '12.

2) One of the reasons Posey moved from short to catcher was that his body does not project as a nimble infielder. 3B is not exactly SS, though, so he may still be a good fit there. Remember, Kevin Mitchell made it to the bigs as a catcher, was moved to SS then 3B before finally finding his home in the OF...

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never thought comparing #s that Heyward deserved it over Posey.If you look at the #s you see that Posey came close to equaling Heyward's #s in less games and ABs posting a much higher BA.:cool:Now lets get Belt up here to play 1B and get 2 in a row:D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

His hitting tailed off because he was catching EVERY DAY down the stretch. Even guys like Mauer and V-Mart play on average about 130-135 games per year. Except for us, Posey was our 2nd best hitter and Boch couldn't afford to take him out of the lineup.

I've always thought a good comp. in terms of swing type for Buster is David Wright. Obviously Wright plays 3rd but as hitters I see a lot of similarities.

Posey(2010) 443 PA .305/.357/.505 wOBA .368
Wright(2004) 283 PA .293/.332/.525 wOBA .367

The sample is smaller with Wright's first year but it's surprisingly similar. And that year Wright had a BB rate of 4.9%, and the next year it spiked to 11.0%. I think Posey will have a higher BB total next year and I'm guessing his line will be around .290/.365/.515

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought comparing #s that Heyward deserved it over Posey.If you look at the #s you see that Posey came close to equaling Heyward's #s in less games and ABs posting a much higher BA.:cool:Now lets get Belt up here to play 1B and get 2 in a row:D

And if Sandoval had like 20 less AB's in 08', we could be talking 3-peat!

But seriously, don't forget about the MadBum, he was dominating too.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, checkout who left Posey off the ballot and Heyward off of a seperat ballot.

DeJan Kovacevic of the Pittsburg Post-Gazette had his ballot of Posey-Neil Walker- Jose Tabata.

In case you didn't know who these guys were, they are both Pirates, Walker plays 2B and Tabata plays OF. Now, Walker is deserving of a few votes but Tabata? WTF over Heyward and Stanton? I don't even think this is east-coast bias, it's homerism!

Jose Tabata Stats, News, Photos - Pittsburgh Pirates - ESPN

And from our friends in LA, Yasushi Kikuchi's ballot was Sanchez-Heyward-Garcia

All I need to say is that he is a Doyer fan.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If by "butter knife" you mean "annoying 14 year old who won't shut the fuck up" then, yeah.

I got the butter knife comment from Zito. He mocked Ralphie-poop one time with Urban, instead of "the razor" he's a "butter knife".

I always laugh when Ralph calls out athletes for off the field incidents. He always forgets he's a 3 time DUI offender. Guy is about as scumbag as you can get.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His hitting tailed off because he was catching EVERY DAY down the stretch. Even guys like Mauer and V-Mart play on average about 130-135 games per year. Except for us, Posey was our 2nd best hitter and Boch couldn't afford to take him out of the lineup.

I've always thought a good comp. in terms of swing type for Buster is David Wright. Obviously Wright plays 3rd but as hitters I see a lot of similarities.

Posey(2010) 443 PA .305/.357/.505 wOBA .368
Wright(2004) 283 PA .293/.332/.525 wOBA .367

The sample is smaller with Wright's first year but it's surprisingly similar. And that year Wright had a BB rate of 4.9%, and the next year it spiked to 11.0%. I think Posey will have a higher BB total next year and I'm guessing his line will be around .290/.365/.515

I totally agree with the reason for the tail-off.

Not only did the Giants need him to start every game..they always seem to play tight close ballgames, so he had to play almost all the innings, lest they lose one of their best offensive weapons.

Managing Posey's AB at catcher will be a priority and I still see a rotation being implemented with him at 1B (unless Belt is as advertised and tears the cover off the ball from the get go..please oh please..)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with the reason for the tail-off.

Not only did the Giants need him to start every game..they always seem to play tight close ballgames, so he had to play almost all the innings, lest they lose one of their best offensive weapons.

Managing Posey's AB at catcher will be a priority and I still see a rotation being implemented with him at 1B (unless Belt is as advertised and tears the cover off the ball from the get go..please oh please..)

I have full confidence that Bochy, a former catcher, will know how to handle Posey next year. And I'm not just saying this because everyone is prasing him all of a sudden, but because he has been through this, he knows the position.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Buster! Well deserved.