• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff expansion, for reelz?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's too much. If you're a top-tier player, are you really going to risk playing an extra 4 games that may cost you millions?

I said 8 before, but the problem they're trying to address would realistically only require 6 teams, as it's unlikely #7 or lower is the best team in the country. Seed the top two, and they get byes, then 3-6, 4-5 and winner advances. This means at most two teams are going to play 3.
That's what I had been advocating all along, if the playoffs expand; but I could go along with an 8-team model. I don't want to see 3-loss teams in the playoffs.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind 12, but I think 16 is more preferable.

- Shave off the cupcake game . 11 regular season games, 1 conference championship game.
- Give all the conference champions an automatic playoff bid.
- Have the committee pick the 6 wildcards.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind 12, but I think 16 is more preferable.

- Shave off the cupcake game . 11 regular season games, 1 conference championship game.
- Give all the conference champions an automatic playoff bid.
- Have the committee pick the 6 wildcards.
No.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be a reduction in regular season games. That's just crazy talk.

There are two things going on here that I can see -

1) People are bored with the 4 team playoffs because it is always (or nearly so) the same teams. This way, the whiny Group of 5's can shut up because at least one of them will get in.

2) If Ohio State doesn't make the playoffs after expansion, the coach should be fired.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like that the expanded playoff will include byes for the top 4 teams. That is a HUGE advantage and will keep the regular season and Conference Championships meaningful because you are going to really want one of those byes.

I also think it was smart to not include any auto bids for any conferences. Now, if some fluky things happens and a 4-5 loss teams win the conference, they won't get an auto bid.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the correct decision. 4 wasn't eligible to be called a playoff, 8 is too small, and 16 might've been pushing it with the doubt factor. 12 teams is perfect.
  • The Regular season would still matter (even though it would've worked no matter how large the playoffs would be)
  • Little to no complaints for not getting in. No more 1 or 2 loss teams being left out, if you can't make it under this format than you simply didn't deserve it
  • 100% will counteract the recruiting walking frenzy that only a handful of teams are enjoying, it'll likely even it all out which results in less blowouts due to the lack of a gap in talent
  • Also yeah, we finally won't get to watch an entire tournament filled with blowouts like before. I could care less if Bama boat races one year, if I get an incredible matchup between Georgia-PSU & Oklahoma-Washington it'd be all worth it.
Overall this is truly the best option to go with, the ones who don't like this are as per usual the ones who benefit from the 4 team playoff.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be a reduction in regular season games. That's just crazy talk.

There are two things going on here that I can see -

1) People are bored with the 4 team playoffs because it is always (or nearly so) the same teams. This way, the whiny Group of 5's can shut up because at least one of them will get in.

2) If Ohio State doesn't make the playoffs after expansion, the coach should be fired.

Definitely agree with #2, but I think this expansion is totally going to happen due to football teams losing massive amounts of money last season. They need the revenue made up, and one quick way to do it is sign a MASSIVE playoff expanding deal. I imagine just about every power 5 team will see well into a seven figure boost to their income due to this expansion. Possible CFP expansion could increase revenue to more than $2 billion

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 11.52.04 AM.png

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like that the expanded playoff will include byes for the top 4 teams. That is a HUGE advantage and will keep the regular season and Conference Championships meaningful because you are going to really want one of those byes.

I also think it was smart to not include any auto bids for any conferences. Now, if some fluky things happens and a 4-5 loss teams win the conference, they won't get an auto bid.
You could actually have byes with an 8-team playoff.

5th v 8th...winner plays 4th
6th v 7th...winner plays 3rd

1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

1st v 2nd

The top-2 seeds would only have to win one game to reach the Championship. Seeds 3 and 4 would have to win two and 5-8 would have to win three.

I'm not advocating this with 8 teams, but it could be done.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

1st v 2nd

The top-2 seeds would only have to win one game to reach the Championship. Seeds 3 and 4 would have to win two and 5-8 would have to win three.

I'd rather go to 12 teams than have double-byes.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

1st v 2nd

I'm not a fan of double byes. I like the 12 team format a lot more than this