• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Clinching Player Rankings

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alright, since it seems like out seed is almost locked in stone at this point, let's have some fun. Score of 1-10, rate the following players based on their 11-12 season.

Kovalchuk: 8.5, we saw the start of this total transformation last season with Lemaire last season, and it's obvious that Deboer got Ilya hooked on the same message from day 1. I'm sure I wasn't the only person horrified by the start of last season, with the "temper tantrum" over moving to right to make room for our eventual Captain, and his total disgust with MacLean (hindsight it was deserved ;)) His -500 through 30 games, etc. etc. The -12 is still ugly, and that's really the only thing that sticks out from his stat. He's a top minutes guy in the league, he even had 5 SHP. Jeez. I basically took a point off for his "-", and half a point for 9 PPG. The PPG at only 9 isn't really something bad, but I had hoped for something closer to 15. Wonder if a full year with Zid would improve that number. Frankly, I thought he would double up the next closest guy on the team for PP goals this season.

Parise: 7.5 He started out pretty damn slow, so his point totals aren't going to hit that p/game plateau, or come close to that 90 plat promised land that we were hoping for. However, Zach has had a successful 1st regular season as captain. He's stills saying all the right things about wanting to stay, and everything I've read lately, and watched in interviews, seems to indicate that this lockerroom is the best we've had in years. Anyone else wonder if grumpy langs being gone has helped that? Zach also loses a point for his "-" total. And all the rest for only being under contract for a limited time, ATM (not his fault I know.)

Marty: TBD, I think we all know how his season will be judged at this point. (Hint: it won't be the next 3 games.)

Henrique: 9.999 repeating. He has surpassed even the most generous of expectations anyone could have had for him entering this season. He wasn't even on the opening day radar.

Clarkson 8. I always hoped that he had it in him. Assists could be higher, BUT he kind of had to shoot and score all the goals with his unfortunate early season linemates.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
clarkson is going to be the x factor. or the 3rd line in general will be. they have to be able to wear down the defenders in the corners right from the get go. that will prove to be huge in the later games.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
clarkson is going to be the x factor. or the 3rd line in general will be. they have to be able to wear down the defenders in the corners right from the get go. that will prove to be huge in the later games.

100% agree. Come playoff time, when an opposing team can and will send out their best pair for 25-28 minutes per night you need to have that depth to wear them down. They can't just be playing easy minutes when Kovy/Parise are on the bench. Luckily, the 3rd/4th lines are playing well ATM.

Poni/Clarkson/Henrique/JJ. That's were that extra push needs to come from.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The 3rd and 4th lines are certainly more talented then previous playoffs. Hell they won the cup in 2003 with rupp rheaum and some other no name russian can anyone come up with it? Anyway they all got steady mins. No reason this 3rd line cant come up with a goal here and there

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kovy - 8.5 -I actually agree with that ranking. For me personally, I expected a huge season in goals from Kovy entering the season. He didn't necessarily went there in goals, but he was great at everything else for an all around solid year. In the playoffs, having him on our team in PP or come from behind situations, I feel a lot better than previous years w/o him.

Parise - 8 - Almost went 9 here. Guy is constantly fighting out there, for goals, breakaways, "steals", hustle, everything... Heart & Spirit of the team is right there in Parise. A MUST MUST resign by any means IMHO.

Marty - 8 - Solid year considering how he started, age, injuries and I think he regain his confidence more so than form. Can't expect shutouts anymore, Marty is beatable but he is able to make those NHL Classic saves from time to time. Not ready to call it quits and I hope he pulls through for us in the postseason. Plus, one more gm to another 30 win season? WOW.

Henrique - 9 - No real expectations for him at the start of the season. But big ones from me for the playoffs. He raised the bar, played very well in his rookie year(yes between Kovy and Parise), I like it. I like what he's done for himself and others on the ice. Makes the occasional "wtf" TO from time to time, but his complete effort and confidence will keep him for a long time. Some say Clarkson is the X factor, I might push it to Henrique for the time being.

Clarkson - 8.5 - Individually, his hard work and efforts allowed him to blossom into a real contributor. He raised his game and molded it differently than past times and its really paying off. His 30 goals is a shocker for most fans and perhaps most devils, but congrats! Keep it up cause w/o Clarkson, who knows where we'd be at this point?

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 3rd and 4th lines are certainly more talented then previous playoffs. Hell they won the cup in 2003 with rupp rheaum and some other no name russian can anyone come up with it? Anyway they all got steady mins. No reason this 3rd line cant come up with a goal here and there

I thought that Sarge and Marshall were on the 4th line that year. Rupp only played a few games once a spot opened up after Niewendyk got injured in the sens series. That 2003 team had good depth and the 2000/2001 teams had even better depth at forward.