• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players wearing the number '0'.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just learned about this. I saw 4 or 5 guys today wearing number 0. I was wondering what that was about. I figured it was a social justice thing as in 0 tolerance for this or that. Since it doesn't seem to signify that I think it's pretty cool.

The NCAA held a rules committee conference call with reporters on Friday (FEB 27) about a group of new rule changes, and among them is one that quite literally amounts to nothing. Starting next season, players will be allowed to wear the No. 0 on their jersey, in an effort to cut down on teams having numerous players with single-digit numbers. The rule still needs to clear one more hurdle before it is fully approved.

With No. 0 now being allowed....in addition to giving teams another jersey number to use, it also inadvertently creates a wonderful collection of possibilities for celebrations and trash-talking from players. Think about it: a cornerback wearing that number could use it to represent the number of yards a quarterback, or receiver, will get if the ball is thrown his way. A receiver could wear it to represent how many people can guard him, a nose tackle could wear it to signal how many runs are getting past him, and a punter could even wear it without any real reason because it'd be one of the few things that could make a punter actually look tough on the football field.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Otto, Oakland Raiders, wore 00. I think he played center. The old AFL let him wear it, and the NFL let him after the merger.