• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Player Of The Year...why are there still TWO Awards?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks Koepka won the PGA of America's version of this award. Shortly the PGAT will reveal their version of this award.

Is the PGAT and the PGA of America that far apart in their processes that someone else could win the TOUR's version? I still think Koepka's major should edge out Rory.

Is the Tour still pissed that the PGA has a major and the players don't?

Don't get it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks Koepka won the PGA of America's version of this award. Shortly the PGAT will reveal their version of this award.

Is the PGAT and the PGA of America that far apart in their processes that someone else could win the TOUR's version? I still think Koepka's major should edge out Rory.

Is the Tour still pissed that the PGA has a major and the players don't?

Don't get it.

What is funny is that the 2 marquee events that the Tour hosts is The Players and the Tour Championship.
And it runs the Fed Ex Cup. As you said, they host no majors.

So you have a situation here where Rory has won everything that the PGA Tour holds dear.
So what are they going to do here? That is a real pickle in not giving it to Rory looking at in that light.

And ...are they going to give it to a guy who admittedly only really gets up for the majors and mails it in on the regular tournaments? ...that is not something the tour wants to hear or see. That's not really a fair description of Brooks
but that optic has been thrown around.

Not an issue at all in my eyes if they give it to Brooks with the major and his over all performance in majors as well.

But I would not be surprised to see some fireworks here considering the tournaments he won.

I checked ..the first year that there were 2 separate awards was the first & last time they had different winners.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is funny is that the 2 marquee events that the Tour hosts is The Players and the Tour Championship.
And it runs the Fed Ex Cup. As you said, they host no majors.

So you have a situation here where Rory has won everything that the PGA Tour holds dear.
So what are they going to do here? That is a real pickle in not giving it to Rory looking at in that light.

And ...are they going to give it to a guy who admittedly only really gets up for the majors and mails it in on the regular tournaments? ...that is not something the tour wants to hear or see. That's not really a fair description of Brooks
but that optic has been thrown around.

Not an issue at all in my eyes if they give it to Brooks with the major and his over all performance in majors as well.

But I would not be surprised to see some fireworks here considering the tournaments he won.

I checked ..the first year that there were 2 separate awards was the first & last time they had different winners.

Good points...the only one I would kinda push back on is mailing it in for regular events....he has admitted to not practicing as much or at all for PGAT events, but he still had ten top 10s to Rory's 14 and cashed in more official money...$9.6 mil to $7.8 mil....Rory gets him on scoring average...69.057 to 69.395

Rory's top win is the Players...that will fall below the PGA

The TOUR Championship...imo that should fall below the WGC

RBC Canadian is a national open that should outweigh the CJ Cup...but the purse was considerably larger for CJ Cup

FedExCup...1st and 3rd...it's gaining steam, but imo it's still trying to find its way on the prestige stage.

It really depends on who is actually voting imo...if the players actually vote (I think they do) for POTY for their version of the award...the PGA should tilt it to Koepka. On the flip side, if the FE Cup win was enough to tilt it to Rory...it wouldn't bother me at all.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points...the only one I would kinda push back on is mailing it in for regular events....he has admitted to not practicing as much or at all for PGAT events, but he still had ten top 10s to Rory's 14 and cashed in more official money...$9.6 mil to $7.8 mil....Rory gets him on scoring average...69.057 to 69.395

Rory's top win is the Players...that will fall below the PGA

The TOUR Championship...imo that should fall below the WGC

RBC Canadian is a national open that should outweigh the CJ Cup...but the purse was considerably larger for CJ Cup

FedExCup...1st and 3rd...it's gaining steam, but imo it's still trying to find its way on the prestige stage.

It really depends on who is actually voting imo...if the players actually vote (I think they do) for POTY for their version of the award...the PGA should tilt it to Koepka. On the flip side, if the FE Cup win was enough to tilt it to Rory...it wouldn't bother me at all.

Yes, mailing it in is more of an impression based on comments from him. But in reality ...ANY Tournament that guy is in ..you better have your A game and more to beat him.

But it will be interesting to see the PGA Tour pick Brooks ..although very deserving .. it undermines the importance of there very own tournaments and their huge partnership with FED Ex and their playoff system.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, mailing it in is more of an impression based on comments from him. But in reality ...ANY Tournament that guy is in ..you better have your A game and more to beat him.

But it will be interesting to see the PGA Tour pick Brooks ..although very deserving .. it undermines the importance of there very own tournaments and their huge partnership with FED Ex and their playoff system.

You're right on the FE Cup, but I don't see how a season long event that's been around for maybe 8 or 9 yrs would pull rank on an event that's been around for 20, 30, yrs or longer.

While no one can blame the PGAT for taking a sponsors money, but it might've been a mistake to name the playoff or the Cup after a sponsor because at some point their sponsorship will end...then what? Now it's the American Express Cup?

It probably should've been XYZ Cup sponsored by FedEx.

The Euro tour has their Race To Dubai...somewhat similar...I wonder how they award their winner?

I've said before I think for winner it needs to be more than just money...to give it more clout I really think it should have the strongest exemption status of any event on tour.