• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pirates Moves?

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I was wondering, with Albert now going to the Angels, their is talk that the Angels may make 1 of 2 moves...

The speculation is, that the Angels may non - tender Kendrys Morales or that if they decide to keep Morales (Who is recovering from a broken ankle & leg) that the Angels may trade young 1B\OF Mark Trumbo?

What do you guys think of the Pirates possibly making a play for either player?

Which of the 2 players would you prefer?

How likely is it, do you think that the Pirates would actively explore such a move?

How good a fit, do you guys think either player would be for the Bucs & what do you think it would cost, in either money for Morales & or prospects for Trumbo?

Does anyone like the idea of the Pirates going after either player?

Thanks.

Thoughts...

Burgh.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally, I don't follow AL teams closely enough to address your questions. However, given the potential black hole the Pirates have at 1B, I did a little reading..... and came up with the following thoughts:

- On the surface, I would prefer Morales to Trumbo, IF Morales is healthy. Morales appears to be a better offensive player and he's a switch hitter. But he's been out for a LONG time with that injury, which indicates that it was a very serious break. That makes me wary.

- On the other hand, Trumbo is the better defensive player (apparently, significantly better than Pujols) and clearly has power. But his low OBP (.291 as a rookie last season) and lack of plate discipline scare me. Trumbo is a couple years younger than Morales and WAS a rookie..... so perhaps he will improve (and he certainly would be better than Overbay).

- Seems possible that the Angels will convert Pujols to DH immediately, to reduce the risk of injury and increase the possibility of a positive long-term return on their (ridiculous) investment. In that case, they will need either Trumbo or Morales to play 1B.

- I read that Trumbo also can play the outfield. I don't know what the Angels' outfield picture looks like..... so I don't know whether it's possible that Pujols will DH, Morales will play 1B, and Trumbo will move full-time to the outfield.

Bottom line: Given our 1B situation, it would be worth it for Huntington to "kick the tires" on a deal for Trumbo or Morales. However, I have no idea what the Angels would demand in return..... or how far the Pirates would be willing to go. I have no energy for speculation, but I will say that I would NOT be willing to offer one of the Pirates' top prospects for either guy.