• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pirates Deal for Lee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Lee will be the newest Pirates after the Bucs sent Single A 1B Aaron Baker to the Orioles.

That's kind of a steal, I think. Now let's get after one more bat.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted they have lost both games he has been here. Not sure how others feel but as a fan you seem more confident with their offense with him at 1B.

Anyway I liked the trade because they gave up a non-prospect for a 1B. What I find interesting is the fact the O's got Davis right after this. So Baker, I think is 4 or 5 on their 1B depth in the minors.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's time.....

.....to put this before the board:

What do you think about the Pirates trying to re-sign Lee for 2012?

My take: I was OK with the acquisition of Derrek Lee, but only because it spelled the end of Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Yes, Lee has done very well in his 27 at bats for the Pirates. But it's a very small sample, and Lee usually comes on late in the season. On the negative side, Lee will be 36 tomorrow, his numbers have been showing a downward trend season-to-season, and he will block Matt Hague from sniffing a serious look. The ONLY way re-signing Lee would be marginally acceptable to me would be if Huntington can get him for $5 million or less..... and that seems unlikely..... and even $5 mill seems too much to me.

For reference, Lee's 2011 contract pays him a $7.25 million base, plus a string of bonuses for plate appearances. His bonuses start to kick in with 400 PA's ($0.5 mill), and he's almost there. He gets additional money for every 25 PA's beyond 400. That may be a primary reason that the Pirates feel obligated to play him regularly for the remainder of the season.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way:

Before being traded for Lee, Aaron Baker was playing at A+ Bradenton. In 103 games and 386 at bats for Bradenton, Baker put up a slash line of .282/.351/.469/.820 with 15 HR's and 73 RBI's.

In 12 games and 44 at bats for A+ Frederick, Baker's slash line was .386/.472/.591/1.063..... which won him a promotion to AA, where he's off to a slow start.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it's Lee, or another free agent first baseman, the Pirates must find one for next year. If it ends up being Derek Lee, I'm supportive of it, as you pointed out with the financing.

In any case, they need to get someone on the corner infield who can hit 4th in the lineup, and protect McCutchen and Walker. Presley and Tabata at the top sounds right, as well, but neither Andrew or Walker are #4 hitters, and it's nice to watch Lee hit from that position, which also allows Walker and McCutchen to hit in the order from where they truly should... imo, Andrew in the three spot, and Neil in the five spot.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The organization doesn't seem too high on Hague either. I would support a Lee signing, but I would guarantee him more like 3 million, with incentives to 5 million.

I think the Pirates will have to do some work, on and off the field, to sell him the idea to stay here at a reasonable rate. He seems like a great guy to have around though, he has a presence about him. But his bat is certainly declining, so it isn't a no brainer.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
sign lee and spend next season complaining about him like we did about overbay?

I would be thrilled to sign the best hitter in our price range - whatever position he happens to play - and work things out from there. I'd prefer a righty.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for the Pirates to resign Lee too.

Pick up Cedeno's option, decline Synder, Doumit and Maholm.

Then, find a catcher somewhere.

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of signing Lee for one year. He's definitely on the downside, but he's got some pop left (certainly better than Overbay) and he's always been a top-flight defender, which is especially important for a team with a pitching staff like the Pirates. Besides, there aren't many power-hitting firstbasemen available. Who could the Pirates obtain who could do any better? If the Buccos can sign him for a reasonable salary (about $5 mil by Magnumo's figuring), I say go for it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get him at the deal level mentioned above I don't see an issue with it. Just like the SS FA's the 1B list is not deep. They won't even come close to Pujols or Fielder, looks like Pena is staying a Cub, Berkman will stay in St. Louis and Cuddyer would be a nice piece but would fill RF more than 1B.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lee is too old..... unless you spend big and bring other pieces(SS, C, one top of rotation guy) around and believe alvarez will rebound from the sophomore slump. Then lee is a great piece to try and win in 2012.
Doubtful we will do those other things, so save the 7M it will cost(similar to this year) and add some more to it and go get someone younger and really good by signing or if you need to package good prospects in a trade, strongly consider it.
we need to audition hague and see if he can at least platoon with jones next year.

outfield is set with presley, cutch, tabata, paul, and marte and lambo will do well in AAA next year and be periodic callups after june.
walker is set.
sign cedeno. he isnt bad for a #8 hitter and fielded great till his concussion. (has actually hit better since the concussion tho).
bullpen will be fine when they get hanny, meek, resop, mccutcheon, and whatever 3 from the rest.
starters will be ok. pass on maholm unless he signs for 3.5M.
big holes at 3B, 1B, C - assuming no big spending on a free agent or trade
pray for alvarez platoon with d'arnaud/harrison righty
jones platoon with a wood/hague righty
see who will sign for 3.5, doumit or snyder and keep with mchenry as backup.
wood and darnaud can play all the infield spots.
darnaud brings speed, and wood(with a whole offseason and spring with hurdle might evolve into a miracle) with some pop.