• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick you love. Pick you hated

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So rather than a bunch of navel gazing about how awful/great the draft was, let's just talk about the guys we really loved or really hated. 1 for each and explain why.

Loved - Colby Parkinson. This guy seems like he could be a dominant player in the NFL. Great size. Good speed. Great hand. One thing that is clear in the NFL today is having a great TE tilts the field. Dissly was a great find and, when healthy, he's been solid to really good. But I think Parkinson could be a game changer and couple him with DK, and Russ is just going to love all the jump balls he can throw, a throw he excels at.

Hated - DeeJay Dallas. Granted this is based on pretty limited information of watching YouTube clips and I'm not an expert on college players in any way. But he just slow to me. Decent cut moves but no burst at all and little top end speed. I'm concerned that in the NFL he just won't have enough time to do much. Maybe as a screener but I would like to see more from a 4th rounder.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved - Basically everyone, but if I have to pick one it's Brooks. Brooks is great against the run and led the NCAAF for all linebackers in TFL and QB pressures. He had the lowest missed tackle % in the NCAAF and it just so happens our run defense was bottom of the barrel last year. Kendricks is gone, KJ Wright just hasn't been the same since his injury, and Wagner is on borrowed time. I loved this pick, I just wish we could've traded back several spots for him. That said, I have a pretty sure feeling that Cincy would've taken him #33 overall given they went LBer/LBer with their 3rd/4th and Brooks' speed/lateral quickness would be a HUGE asset against Lamar Jackson. We have a glaring hole at SAM linebacker (Brooks did play some OLB) so I expect Brooks to be a day 1 starter. One of the things Seattle was always known for on D was speed/lateral quickness and that has been lost in the last few years. Brooks re-introduces that.

Hated - Colby Parkinson. We have 6 tight ends on the roster right now. We need to keep Dissly around because he was the best TE in football to start last year until injury, Olsen we spent $8M on, Hollister stepped up and played fine... that's 3... which means already Willson and Johnson would be cut, and that means entering the season with FOUR tight ends? I mean... okay, but... If we end up releasing Olsen I'm going to be fuckin' pissed because that means we could've resigned Jefferson or made a run at Clowney. I wanted RB/DL/CB with our first three day 3 picks. We met two of those needs.

Also Colby has a weakness with blocking. Jesus Christ we couldn't figure out how to use Jimmy Graham properly so are we just going to sit Parkinson for 3 years until he learns how to block (if ever)? Ugh... feel like we're going in circles here. I'm going to bet Parkinson rarely if ever sees the field and will be a wasted pick. He doesn't fit our scheme and what we like to do with tight ends at all.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved - Basically everyone, but if I have to pick one it's Brooks. Brooks is great against the run and led the NCAAF for all linebackers in TFL and QB pressures. He had the lowest missed tackle % in the NCAAF and it just so happens our run defense was bottom of the barrel last year. Kendricks is gone, KJ Wright just hasn't been the same since his injury, and Wagner is on borrowed time. I loved this pick, I just wish we could've traded back several spots for him. That said, I have a pretty sure feeling that Cincy would've taken him #33 overall given they went LBer/LBer with their 3rd/4th and Brooks' speed/lateral quickness would be a HUGE asset against Lamar Jackson. We have a glaring hole at SAM linebacker (Brooks did play some OLB) so I expect Brooks to be a day 1 starter. One of the things Seattle was always known for on D was speed/lateral quickness and that has been lost in the last few years. Brooks re-introduces that.

Hated - Colby Parkinson. We have 6 tight ends on the roster right now. We need to keep Dissly around because he was the best TE in football to start last year until injury, Olsen we spent $8M on, Hollister stepped up and played fine... that's 3... which means already Willson and Johnson would be cut, and that means entering the season with FOUR tight ends? I mean... okay, but... If we end up releasing Olsen I'm going to be fuckin' pissed because that means we could've resigned Jefferson or made a run at Clowney. I wanted RB/DL/CB with our first three day 3 picks. We met two of those needs.

Also Colby has a weakness with blocking. Jesus Christ we couldn't figure out how to use Jimmy Graham properly so are we just going to sit Parkinson for 3 years until he learns how to block (if ever)? Ugh... feel like we're going in circles here. I'm going to bet Parkinson rarely if ever sees the field and will be a wasted pick. He doesn't fit our scheme and what we like to do with tight ends at all.

Great comments.

I would caution about comparing him to how we used Jimmy. Truth be told, I think fans have a misunderstanding of how we used Jimmy. He was PRIMARILY a target but he was asked to occasionally asked to block. But that wasn't what did him in with us. It was the maddening DROPS. How many times did he drop routine balls for us? Anyway, it doesn't really matter because that was the previous offensive regime. Olsen is a 1 year guy no matter what so I really don't think he is relevant to Parkinson as TEs RARELY have immediate impact as rookies.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great comments.

I would caution about comparing him to how we used Jimmy. Truth be told, I think fans have a misunderstanding of how we used Jimmy. He was PRIMARILY a target but he was asked to occasionally asked to block. But that wasn't what did him in with us. It was the maddening DROPS. How many times did he drop routine balls for us? Anyway, it doesn't really matter because that was the previous offensive regime. Olsen is a 1 year guy no matter what so I really don't think he is relevant to Parkinson as TEs RARELY have immediate impact as rookies.

Fair, I'm just thinking about this year and how the fuck we're going to carry all these TEs. I know the PC mentality of 'competition at all positions' etc.... but carrying 4 tight ends? Eh... okay. Either way I have to imagine Luke Willson is gone.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, I'm just thinking about this year and how the fuck we're going to carry all these TEs. I know the PC mentality of 'competition at all positions' etc.... but carrying 4 tight ends? Eh... okay. Either way I have to imagine Luke Willson is gone.

I think 4 is a real possibility. The Seahawks got burned last when they traded Vannett because Dissly got knocked out a week later.

Dissly needs to show he can stay healthy and Olsen is one hit away from retirement.

I think Hollister is good as gone. I think he might be good by June 1st. He made some nice catches but he is physically overmatched.

I think that our opening day roster will have Dissly/Olsen/Parkinson and maybe Willson.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved - Jordyn Brooks. I know a lot here didn't have LB as a first round target, but Patrick Queen was on the top of my board, over Gross-Matos, so I personally thought there was a chance we could go that route. Brooks could develop into a great LB.

Hated - Not sure. Maybe Sullivan. Not sure what about him made us trade back into the 7th round to get him. I don't see him making the team as a WR or a TE, so it would seem to be a little aggressive for a player who likely isn't on the team to start the season. That late, maybe he's there in UDFA signings, but in the end, the Hawks gave up something for a player I just don't see making the team right now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 4 is a real possibility. The Seahawks got burned last when they traded Vannett because Dissly got knocked out a week later.

Dissly needs to show he can stay healthy and Olsen is one hit away from retirement.

I think Hollister is good as gone. I think he might be good by June 1st. He made some nice catches but he is physically overmatched.

I think that our opening day roster will have Dissly/Olsen/Parkinson and maybe Willson.

Very good points... I do agree Dissly needs to prove he can stay healthy and Olsen IMO is simply insurance and some veteran leadership and a great locker room presence for this year (which I'm fine with, if half our offense didn't get injured good chance we won the division last year and potentially get to the SBOWL). Our tight end situation is such a mess... lol, I just feel we can't seem to strike on that position. Course there's very few teams that have GREAT tight ends... of course the fuckin' 49ers had to find one.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good points... I do agree Dissly needs to prove he can stay healthy and Olsen IMO is simply insurance and some veteran leadership and a great locker room presence. Our tight end situation is such a mess... lol, I just feel we can't seem to strike on that position. Course there's very few teams that have GREAT tight ends... of course the fuckin' 49ers had to find one.

That's the thing. I am reading a lot of rando pundits talking about the logjam at TE we have. The problem is that they ALL have huge question marks. I was saying that TE was actually a need position a month or so ago. Moreso than RB or WR, IMO.

Parkinson may never turn into a great player. But I think he is the type of player that COULD be one.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing. I am reading a lot of rando pundits talking about the logjam at TE we have. The problem is that they ALL have huge question marks. I was saying that TE was actually a need position a month or so ago. Moreso than RB or WR, IMO.

Parkinson may never turn into a great player. But I think he is the type of player that COULD be one.

The rest of the Seahawks fans and I on this board will hold you personally responsible if he's not :D

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the pick of dj dallas, i think he fits everything they want in a RB

hated trading up for taylor, we could have stood pat and drafted uche and kept our 3rd. im not hating the player, im hating what we gave up for him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordyn Brooks is my favorite pick because I think he may be what we thought we had with Aaron Curry, which is someone who knows where to go, gets there in a hurry, and arrives with violence. Curry was missing the first one despite being dubbed as the "safest" pick of the class, and unfortunately we had to find that out the hard way. The most common knock on the pick is that it doesn't address an immediate need, but I think there are 2 legit comebacks to that: 1) we still play a lot of 3 LB sets, and right now we only have 2 proven vets at the position and 2) at 1.27 I don't think there was anyone we were going to pick that would be looked at right away to fill an "immediate need" if we define that as the starting 22. With the way KJ's health has been over the past few years, I think Brooks starts 4 games minimum. Even if he doesn't start any, I think he'll be on the field a lot. And a year from now, he'll be walking into camp as a starter.

Tough call to tag my least favorite because I don't see any picks that appear to be longshots to make the team. Every draft there are usually at least 2 that just seem like throwaways with no realistic chance to be on the final roster, but I don't think that happened this year. The way I'll do it is look at who I think the most redundant pick was, and to me that is Freddie Swain. The only thing I know about him is his highlights, and from that brief look I don't know what he's going to give us a WR that we don't already have. He doesn't seem to be special in any certain area but pretty good all over. I definitely don't hate the pick though. If he was taken with the intent of being a returner, then that makes huge sense (and even something I said I wanted the team to address on Day 3).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hated trading up for taylor, we could have stood pat and drafted uche and kept our 3rd. im not hating the player, im hating what we gave up for him.

Out of curiosity, where did you think Seattle would play Uche? Personally, I would've seen him as a LB in Seattle, and as such would've been very interested in the reasoning for Seattle to use their first 2 picks at LB.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the Brooks Pick I like the idea of having another linebacker that can attack the ball carrier If he can show that he can drop into coverage and play well doing that its an awesome pick.

I will say any picks going back the 4th round really is a crap shoot and at that point most teams are going off of who they can talk to about a player and seeing some of their college highlights

With that being said I am not the biggest fan of the Colby Parkinson pick I get he is 6''7' 250 but he is not very athletic literally all his highlights are just him catching back shoulder passes into the endzone which is great but we dont want another Jimmy Graham that cant block or literally anything else at that unless its time to catch passes near the goal line. Of course when it comes to highlights if you arent on the offensive line nobody will make a video of a TE making blocks or much of that. So I dont know what this guys blocking ability is

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, where did you think Seattle would play Uche? Personally, I would've seen him as a LB in Seattle, and as such would've been very interested in the reasoning for Seattle to use their first 2 picks at LB.

i see no reason why he couldnt have played edge rusher here, similar size to avril and irvin minus a few inches.

i think he will be a very good player on the patriots.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Brooks. I was pissed at the start but if you sit back and think about it. Alot of the stuff that were weakness for us, expect pass rush, he's does:

TFL- 20 at tech
Speed- 4.5 40
He can cover backs and TE. Gives Wags a break so he can double cover sometimes.

Honorable mention: Robinson/Taylor. I can't get over that second highlight of Robinsons.

I don't like using the word Hate, raised on the fact that is a strong word that should never be used, so I'll used head scratcher. Freddie Swain is a pristine example of this. Yes he is fast as Fuck bit my issue is simple...

WHERE DOES HE FIT?

Return game: Lockett and Dallas I think have that locked down.
Slot: Maybe but I think we are making the move to physical Wr's.

Honorable mention: Sullivan. Same reason.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see no reason why he couldnt have played edge rusher here, similar size to avril and irvin minus a few inches.

i think he will be a very good player on the patriots.

They moved Irvin to LB and Avril had 15-20 pounds on him. Not saying he isn't going to be good, just saying I think PC sees him as a LB.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts as well... He wasn't a good fit in our defensive scheme/philosophy...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Brooks. I was pissed at the start but if you sit back and think about it. Alot of the stuff that were weakness for us, expect pass rush, he's does:

TFL- 20 at tech
Speed- 4.5 40
He can cover backs and TE. Gives Wags a break so he can double cover sometimes.

Honorable mention: Robinson/Taylor. I can't get over that second highlight of Robinsons.

I don't like using the word Hate, raised on the fact that is a strong word that should never be used, so I'll used head scratcher. Freddie Swain is a pristine example of this. Yes he is fast as Fuck bit my issue is simple...

WHERE DOES HE FIT?

Return game: Lockett and Dallas I think have that locked down.
Slot: Maybe but I think we are making the move to physical Wr's.

Honorable mention: Sullivan. Same reason.

Personally, get Lockett completely off the return team. Not only is he more important to the offense, he really sucks at returning and has for the last 3 years - at least, especially punts

Last edited:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, get Lockett completely off the return team. Not only is he more important to the offense, he really sucks at returning and has for the last 3 years - at least.

So KR. That's only one thing.

Honestly. Why not "Sherman" him and move him to CB?