• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick 43: TE Cole Kmet

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best tight end in the draft. Best comp appears to be Kyle Rudolph. He's not going to put up massive numbers like Jimmy Graham of yesteryear or a guy like Travis Kelce but he's the Y tight end we need to complement Jimmy Graham in the short-term. Could be a staple of this offense for years to come as a guy you can count on in both the run and pass game. He's also from Barrington.

Thoughts?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really, really like Kmet as a prospect. However, TE's will 100% never contribute in their rookie season. So, it's a bit puzzling to me. This team and regime needs to win right f'ing now. He won't help that.

That being said, I will re-iterate, I think he can absolutely be our main TE (and a good one) through the duration of the 2020's.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really, really like Kmet as a prospect. However, TE's will 100% never contribute in their rookie season. So, it's a bit puzzling to me. This team and regime needs to win right f'ing now. He won't help that.

That being said, I will re-iterate, I think he can absolutely be our main TE (and a good one) through the duration of the 2020's.

Some of the better TEs of late have had decent success in their rookie years. I see him starting day one, and being a nice compliment to Graham.

With that said, I don't like the pick at that number. There is a very good chance he would've been there at 50, and there's also a couple of other solid TE prospects in this draft.

I do think the position is a need, as it was historically awful last year, and I don't have a ton of confidence in Graham staying healthy, but I think SS and OL is a bigger need.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he can contribute in a limited role as the 2nd TE in the passing game? Sort of like Olsen in his rookie season? He didn't do much, at all, but he did make some plays and had a role in matchups which were advantageous for TE's.

I see us rolling into Week 1 with 4 TE's. Graham is our U. Kmet our F. Harris as the Y (power blocker). Then, we might just carry Holtz since he's a great blocker, can play the H back, SPT's and isn't "incompetent" as a receiver.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the better TEs of late have had decent success in their rookie years. I see him starting day one, and being a nice compliment to Graham.

With that said, I don't like the pick at that number. There is a very good chance he would've been there at 50, and there's also a couple of other solid TE prospects in this draft.

I do think the position is a need, as it was historically awful last year, and I don't have a ton of confidence in Graham staying healthy, but I think SS and OL is a bigger need.

You know that Graham has only had one injury in his entire career, right? He missed 7 games because of a patellar tendon tear (worse than an ACL). He's missed only one other game in his entire career (concussion, I believe). Durability is actually apart of the case for Jimmy Graham.

I know that guys have "contributed" in their rookie seasons (Engram and Hockenson come to mind) but I don't know if anyone has actually played at a high level.

I'm with you on TE being a need. I'm sick of hearing the "we have 9 TE's" thing. Like... yeah... of course, we do. We IR'd 4 last year. That doesn't mean anyone outside of Graham/Harris are worthy of regularly being on an NFL field.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that Graham has only had one injury in his entire career, right? He missed 7 games because of a patellar tendon tear (worse than an ACL). He's missed only one other game in his entire career (concussion, I believe). Durability is actually apart of the case for Jimmy Graham.

I know that guys have "contributed" in their rookie seasons (Engram and Hockenson come to mind) but I don't know if anyone has actually played at a high level.

I'm with you on TE being a need. I'm sick of hearing the "we have 9 TE's" thing. Like... yeah... of course, we do. We IR'd 4 last year. That doesn't mean anyone outside of Graham/Harris are worthy of regularly being on an NFL field.

Graham is 33 tho, bro.(Be 34 this season) The odds are not in his favor, despite his track record.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live in NW IN and have followed Bears whole life. I'm puzzled by this pick. Was this the #1 need for the team this year, I think not.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live in NW IN and have followed Bears whole life. I'm puzzled by this pick. Was this the #1 need for the team this year, I think not.

Depends on how you gauge it, I suppose. It was easily the worst position last year.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears definitely could've pulled a good TE out of this draft later.

Delpit should've been the pick IMO.

I actually think Winfield is the better player, but he seems suited for Free Safety, where Delpit looks like a stud SS.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is 33 tho, bro.(Be 34 this season) The odds are not in his favor, despite his track record.

I agree that his best days are behind him and that the signing has risk attached to it.

I just have a feeling about him, though. You ever get that? Lol. I truly just have a gut instinct that is saying he's going to have some big games for us.

Could be the homer in me. There's a lot of reasons to criticize the signing.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just revisiting this...

If this Kmet kid pans out, our look back at the Jimmy Graham signing-which upon instant reaction looks to be a horrible deal for us-will probably be looked at favorably in a few years as it would have allowed us to spread that rookie TE gap.

Graham should be serviceable for a year while the kid learns the ropes and is somebody we don't have to be tied down to at the TE position like a few others that were out there for the taking.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just revisiting this...

If this Kmet kid pans out, our look back at the Jimmy Graham signing-which upon instant reaction looks to be a horrible deal for us-will probably be looked at favorably in a few years as it would have allowed us to spread that rookie TE gap.

Graham should be serviceable for a year while the kid learns the ropes and is somebody we don't have to be tied down to at the TE position like a few others that were out there for the taking.
There was no guarantee the Bears were going to get Kmet. Glad we didn't have a first round pick, because I bet they would have taken Kmet in the first round. Several, "expert" draft guys saw Kmet going in the first round.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just revisiting this...

Early on I don't think he'll be seeing much action, considering the shortened camp and preseason. But as the campaign rolls on, my guess is he'll become more and more involved in the O. I'm looking forward to seeing some red zone plays designed for his size and talent.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no guarantee the Bears were going to get Kmet. Glad we didn't have a first round pick, because I bet they would have taken Kmet in the first round. Several, "expert" draft guys saw Kmet going in the first round.

They for sure would have. The Graham signing always was done with this pick taken in consideration is all I'm saying.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really like Kmet. Unlike Shaheen, this isn't a guy whose a wild animal needing to be tamed and molded. He's really natural out on the field. Natural receiver, looks comfortable on the field, good blocker, field awareness, uses body well, route runner, etc. If he ran a 4.5 instead of a 4.7 he goes 1st round without question. Then again, Kelce only ran a 4.63. I think he'll be fine. He may never stretch the field like a young Jimmy Graham. He'll be a good, classic TE, though. IMO

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really like Kmet. Unlike Shaheen, this isn't a guy whose a wild animal needing to be tamed and molded. He's really natural out on the field. Natural receiver, looks comfortable on the field, good blocker, field awareness, uses body well, route runner, etc. If he ran a 4.5 instead of a 4.7 he goes 1st round without question. Then again, Kelce only ran a 4.63. I think he'll be fine. He may never stretch the field like a young Jimmy Graham. He'll be a good, classic TE, though. IMO

40 time is vastly overrated. Maybe Kmet will be the lifer for us Olsen was supposed to be....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kmet is a real TE, and we needed one. He will make a difference and be a very good player for us for a longtime. I'm very happy with this pick. I am sad we had to go TE with our pick as we needed other positions but because Burton did not pan out we needed this.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kmet is a real TE, and we needed one. He will make a difference and be a very good player for us for a longtime. I'm very happy with this pick. I am sad we had to go TE with our pick as we needed other positions but because Burton did not pan out we needed this.
Well, technically, we needed the three the Bears picked up in the off season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, technically, we needed the three the Bears picked up in the off season.

We have an entirely new TE room and it was much needed. Honestly, Graham/Kmet/Harris is pretty solid. Not great, but solid. And if Graham can recapture some magic or Kmet comes on quickly? It becomes damn good.