• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies VS Red Sox Series Thread.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoskins on base 6 times and scores 3 runs in this series so far yet everybody with a keyboard is acting like we need to get rid of him. (Except for me and maybe _phillies_ if he is still alive). We will be vindicated!
I liked Gabe's approach by trying to hit him leadoff. Get him as many ABs as possible, and maybe try to get him out of trying to take hero swings and just get back to driving the ball. And, at a minimum, the guy gets on base.

Obviously not a long-term solution, but the willingness to try something different to get a guy going is nice.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Gabe's approach by trying to hit him leadoff. Get him as many ABs as possible, and maybe try to get him out of trying to take hero swings and just get back to driving the ball. And, at a minimum, the guy gets on base.

Obviously not a long-term solution, but the willingness to try something different to get a guy going is nice.

Hoskins is one of six guys with an OBP over .330 on Phils and is among the better producers. So, he’s going nowhere; saying dump him is just fans being frustrated and mad, like me.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoskins is one of six guys with an OBP over .330 on Phils and is among the better producers. So, he’s going nowhere; saying dump him is just fans being frustrated and mad, like me.
Lulz.

"The Phillies messed up Darin Ruf by not playing him enough."

Also:

"Rhys Hoskins sucks and should be sent back to rookie ball."

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Hoskins guy because he has this tendency to disappear at the worst times at the plate. If you want to keep the dude around, you are entitled to think that but I think he will never be a guy who can be depended-upon in the tough moments of a game or to be one who is going to contribute to wins when we need them.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hear you. I have probably said horrible things to my tv set about all the Phillies at one time or another. But this was the crazy article I read yesterday. 5 young arms Phillies could land for Rhys Hoskins

To summarize, first he implies that they can't win with Hoskins because he is too streaky. Then he names like 5 ace starting pitchers that all these other teams will be lining up to trade us for Hoskins. Then we just plug in Alec Bohm and don't miss a beat. Or we plug in Bohm at third, keep Hoskins and sign Gerit Cole.

I do hope Bohm is as good as this guy thinks, but last I checked he was in Reading.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Hoskins guy because he has this tendency to disappear at the worst times at the plate. If you want to keep the dude around, you are entitled to think that but I think he will never be a guy who can be depended-upon in the tough moments of a game or to be one who is going to contribute to wins when we need them.
Yeah, you might be in the majority. I just get worried when they get rid of high on base guys that they will turn into the Orioles.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The guy basically has two years under his belt. This year he’s met the challenge by getting 200 hits and walks combined while hitting in several lineup spots, fulfilling different roles. That’s gotta be tough. It’s too early to suggest he’s a dud, really. Only 8 stinking hits in Aug but he should come back next month.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hear you. I have probably said horrible things to my tv set about all the Phillies at one time or another. But this was the crazy article I read yesterday. 5 young arms Phillies could land for Rhys Hoskins

To summarize, first he implies that they can't win with Hoskins because he is too streaky. Then he names like 5 ace starting pitchers that all these other teams will be lining up to trade us for Hoskins. Then we just plug in Alec Bohm and don't miss a beat. Or we plug in Bohm at third, keep Hoskins and sign Gerit Cole.

I do hope Bohm is as good as this guy thinks, but last I checked he was in Reading.

Tim Hawk is like @_phiLLies_ . Sell everybody high. Most of those selected stud pitchers will be turn out to be crap. Gotta keep Rhys. I’d like to see Bohm next month.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 8 hits the entire three weeks of August, jvett? We shall see if your wish/prediction holds for September when it comes to Hoskins making a comeback of sorts.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Hawk is like @_phiLLies_ . Sell everybody high. Most of those selected stud pitchers will be turn out to be crap. Gotta keep Rhys. I’d like to see Bohm next month.
Yeah that's a diverse group of pitchers. Giolito or Snell I'd trade Hoskins for in a second but those teams would want way more than just Hoskins and the Phillies seem pretty thin on prospects. Severino missed a whole year but I still can't see the Yankees trading him for Hoskins. Despite what the article said, they are loaded with first base/DH types once some of their injuries clear up. And the A's guy in the middle of an 80 game PED suspension seems like a big risk for the Phillies.
I'm looking forward to seeing this Alec Bohm guy though. That would be great if they could plug him in at thirdbase.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 8 hits the entire three weeks of August, jvett? We shall see if your wish/prediction holds for September when it comes to Hoskins making a comeback of sorts.

Yeah, 8 for 63 or .127/.317. 15Ks but 17 walks. Solid April and May but average went downhill with the onset of summer. Still had near .400 OBP though. Wonder if he'd hit better in MIN. lol. Hope he works it out in less humid September.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's a diverse group of pitchers. Giolito or Snell I'd trade Hoskins for in a second but those teams would want way more than just Hoskins and the Phillies seem pretty thin on prospects. Severino missed a whole year but I still can't see the Yankees trading him for Hoskins. Despite what the article said, they are loaded with first base/DH types once some of their injuries clear up. And the A's guy in the middle of an 80 game PED suspension seems like a big risk for the Phillies.
I'm looking forward to seeing this Alec Bohm guy though. That would be great if they could plug him in at thirdbase.

Hoskins goes through a bad period and everybody wants to trade him. Can't figure.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alec Bohm has Charlie's approval but stats don't look that remarkable, so far. Has a similar build 6'5, 225 as bust Dylan Cozens, 6'6, 235. :dhd:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Hoskins' problem is that idiot Kapler has him slotted in the lead-off position most games. Maybe he'd be better in the middle of the batting order. Has shit-fer-brains even tried that approach?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you sell high on guys playing above their worth. that's the whole concept.. that it's fraud shit you're looking at and you're hoping another team will buy it. hoskins is what he is. a high OBP, 30-40 HR masher. his worth is already established, so there's nothing to sell.

however, his worth isn't all that great because of the reality that he can only play 1st or DH. and when he's at 1st, he's average at best defensively. trading him wouldn't really be in the phils best interest. if the right deal came along though, you 100% pull the trigger. the phils would need some nice luck for that type of deal to appear.

they don't have any sell high guys on the team right now. kingery is the closest. it is certainly possible he can play like shit next year. but his ability to bounce around all positions, his speed, his defense and his overall talent is not worth the risk of unloading unless a deal is mind blowing.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you sell high on guys playing above their worth. that's the whole concept.. that it's fraud shit you're looking at and you're hoping another team will buy it. hoskins is what he is. a high OBP, 30-40 HR masher. his worth is already established, so there's nothing to sell.

however, his worth isn't all that great because of the reality that he can only play 1st or DH. and when he's at 1st, he's average at best defensively. trading him wouldn't really be in the phils best interest. if the right deal came along though, you 100% pull the trigger. the phils would need some nice luck for that type of deal to appear.

they don't have any sell high guys on the team right now. kingery is the closest. it is certainly possible he can play like shit next year. but his ability to bounce around all positions, his speed, his defense and his overall talent is not worth the risk of unloading unless a deal is mind blowing.
That makes sense. I also think those high obp guys kind of build on each other. If you just have one, like Votto in Cincinnati for the last few years, teams can work around it. But they have Harper And Hoskins. And at the beginning of the year it was looking like McCutchen could be the guy that added a lot of pressure to opposing lineups when you had him leading off, then Harper and Hoskins after him. Hopefully he's got another year or two left in him. On a semi related note, imagine if it was the Phillies and not the Braves who took a chance on a year of Josh Donaldson for 23 mil.