• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Talk page.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klentak playing 4-D chess over here.
there's talk that a pitcher will also be involved from Philly.

I'm skeptical a team would just willingly take on Santana's deal. Will be curious to see the final details.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's talk that a pitcher will also be involved from Philly.

I'm skeptical a team would just willingly take on Santana's deal. Will be curious to see the final details.
or they might be getting pitching back?

hmm, perhaps they get stuck with the last year of Felix.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always liked Segura. Hopefully we give him a long term home as it feels like he has been bounced around a lot the last few years.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Hope Santana is part of the deal. That would help our defense. Hoskins back to 1st base and so on.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez. He ain't what he used to be. Made sense to me in easing some of the salary burden, though think it'd be a better look for seattle just to let him finish out his career there.

sounds like we're getting the one reliever they acquired from the mets.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Phillies are getting reliever Nicasio. He is just plain lousy but Phillies have to eat his 8 million dollar contract
to get rid of Santana. I still like the deal!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are going to love Segura. There has been talk he has been an issue in the clubhouse, but I wouldn't be concerned about that. His play on the field really speaks for itself and his contract is very fair. If he hit the open market he'd get a much bigger contract.

Phillies really won this trade and it's not even close. The Mariners have plenty of awful trades to choose from the past decade and I believe this to be by far the worst.

No Mariners fans thought this trade made any sense unless the M's were getting a prospect along with Santana and Crawford.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are going to love Segura. There has been talk he has been an issue in the clubhouse, but I wouldn't be concerned about that. His play on the field really speaks for itself and his contract is very fair. If he hit the open market he'd get a much bigger contract.

Phillies really won this trade and it's not even close. The Mariners have plenty of awful trades to choose from the past decade and I believe this to be by far the worst.

No Mariners fans thought this trade made any sense unless the M's were getting a prospect along with Santana and Crawford.
Rebuilding is frustrating to true fans The Mariners did dump some salary though. Plus Santana will add power to the line up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuilding is frustrating to true fans The Mariners did dump some salary though. Plus Santana will add power to the line up.

I understand the frustration with rebuilding, I just would've preferred the Mariners land prospects for Segura. I'm also not all that high on Crawford.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the frustration with rebuilding, I just would've preferred the Mariners land prospects for Segura. I'm also not all that high on Crawford.

It's an attempt at a cost effective move for SEA.

If they get anywhere near similar production (in WAR value, combining offense and defense) from Crawford versus Segura, then they come out financial winners because Crawford has more years of cost control rookie status.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they get anywhere near similar production (in WAR value, combining offense and defense) from Crawford versus Segura, then they come out financial winners because Crawford has more years of cost control rookie status.

The problem with Crawford is he struck out 59/187 ABs, 32%, in his two years of part time play with the Phillies. That will improve by playing everyday. He did have .333 OBP and has a little power to go with his speed. I think he'll work out in the long run.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Crawford is he struck out 59/187 ABs, 32%, in his two years of part time play with the Phillies. That will improve by playing everyday. He did have .333 OBP and has a little power to go with his speed. I think he'll work out in the long run.

Yeah, SEA is banking on his high rating as a prospect.
He was beset by injuries and really only has a small sample size of MLB at-bats to go off of.
Even if he's an average shortstop on a rookie contract, that's still good value.
Anything after that is gravy.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The trade is contingent on Crawford reaching his potential and the Mariners hopefully getting something decent for Carlos Santana.

That being said, even if Crawford reaches the modest projections of his potential, I don't think he will be as good as Segura. I understand that Segura had to be moved, I just wish the Mariners would've been willing to sacrifice more in terms of money to increase the prospect return.

I will say that there is little reason to think you guys lost this trade. Segura is an incredible player, and one of the more underrated middle infielders in baseball IMO. You're going to really enjoy watching him play.