• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies-Related Trade Rumors and Acquisitions

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll start with needs:

SP: Too much inconsistency in the rotation. Nobody has been able to put together a solid stretch. Even Eflin, who's been the best starter by far, has been roughed up too frequently. Ideally, a light goes on somewhere with Nola, and he becomes the ace down the stretch, and they find a serviceable arm down the stretch to fill out the back end of the rotation.

OF: Probably not major, as it looks like Kingery is going to be the CF and I think they can be alright with him and Quinn as the defensive replacement. If Franco can keep hitting, this isn't really a pressing need.

RP: A lot can be filled internally, with Robertson and Hunter hopefully coming back healthy. Hopefully Morgan got over his shitty outing last week, and has another clean run like he did in April. Otherwise, a lefty reliever is going to be needed. Neris seems to be back, so I'm not worried about a closer.

IF: Would like an upgrade from Knapp. Otherwise, pretty much OK with status quo, unless Franco goes in the tank again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good mid-season synopsis Guy Incognito. I think we can do better than Velasquez in relief and I still wonder why the limp biscuit Hernandez is still on this roster.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Nola is back. Vinnie seems to have a fire under his butt. Pivetta hasn't blown up in the bullpen. Hunter was a significant loss, but Ranger Suarez looks to have filled the lefty void. Smyly might have been an ideal Jamie Moyer-esque addition.

Eflin hasn't been able to maintain his start. As such, I'm OK with looking into additional arms near the top of the rotation. Bauer wouldn't be a bad add. Doesn't sound like Greinke is going to be an option.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vargas and cash for a minor league catcher (and, at best, our fourth-best catching prospect).

Not crazy about the add, but he does improve the rotation, and they didn't give up anything.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.01 ERA is not too bad. Fairly decent addition.
I'm slightly concerned about his groundball ratio being below league average. Hope he can keep the fly balls in the yard.

If they like him, he's only $8 million to keep. If they don't, it's only $2 million to turn down his option. And I think the Mets are paying most of his salary this season.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he's thrown six quality starts. Blown out twice back in April, then 3 weeks ago by MIA. Not bad. Should be more reliable starter than Irvin, Velasquez, Pivetta, and lately, Eflin. Poor beggars, we are.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy Vargas, hope y'all get more mileage out of him than the Mets did.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a trade, but the Phils are taking a chance on a reliever:

Blake Parker, Phillies agree to deal (report)

Parker has actually not been bad in Minnesota. He's shown an ability to pitch multiple innings, bit I guess he pissed someone off after getting shelled by the Yankees last week.

Edit: Found a story that indicates that Parker had some performance bonuses, which it seems the Twins were intent on avoiding.

Twins Designate Blake Parker For Assignment

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic! Phils add a LH .300 hitter. Another blow to Nick Williams.
I'm guessing Bruce becomes the PH when he gets back. Might give them the option to get creative and play Dickerson in left, Haseley in center, and Kingery at third if Franco goes back in the tank, too.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Bruce becomes the PH when he gets back. Might give them the option to get creative and play Dickerson in left, Haseley in center, and Kingery at third if Franco goes back in the tank, too.
Agreed. Haseley needs to play!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With guys like Segura and Realmuto and the pitching is beginning to get a hint better, we may just pull it off.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, this is the type of trading and roster development I wish the Phillies would get their heads into if they could just wake-up from being brain-dead. Grienke was being shopped by the D-backs for several months now and the Phillies did nothing. Don't know why but he now goes to Houston to form a monstrous rotation while we struggle with Nola and handful of dumpster-dive products.

MLB trade deadline winners and losers: Astros make a power move, Red Sox and Dodgers don't

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, this is the type of trading and roster development I wish the Phillies would get their heads into if they could just wake-up from being brain-dead. Grienke was being shopped by the D-backs for several months now and the Phillies did nothing. Don't know why but he now goes to Houston to form a monstrous rotation while we struggle with Nola and handful of dumpster-dive products.

MLB trade deadline winners and losers: Astros make a power move, Red Sox and Dodgers don't

I totally agree with you. What I see is a FO that went and spent big in the offseason, tossed off prospects along the way to do it. All good. But now they see mostly midling output and it seems there is fear to deal more prospects at this point.

Ultimately that might be shrewd in the grand scheme......though I would hate to pass up on a guy like Grienke. Maybe they were concerned about payroll of taking him on too? That seems thin since Middleton said months ago they were willing to be stupid with money.

Yeah....fear of emptying the cupboard of prospects more at this point, perhaps.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with you. What I see is a FO that went and spent big in the offseason, tossed off prospects along the way to do it. All good. But now they see mostly midling output and it seems there is fear to deal more prospects at this point.

Ultimately that might be shrewd in the grand scheme......though I would hate to pass up on a guy like Grienke. Maybe they were concerned about payroll of taking him on too? That seems thin since Middleton said months ago they were willing to be stupid with money.

Yeah....fear of emptying the cupboard of prospects more at this point, perhaps.
They don't have much in the upper levels of the system.

Houston didn't give up top-level talent, but they did trade marketable prospects close to ready for the show. Those guys all left this off-season. Maybe they could have made a move with Bohm and Moniak, but I don't know if the pitching we have at AAA was good enough for Arizona.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Astros paid $24 million plus $53 mill remaining on 35-year old Greinke's contract. I have no idea about the Phils money situation and they've passed on a number of starter candidates, so you assume they have financial guidelines they won't budge on, regardless of their obvious needs. Which means going deep in the post is remote. Astros now have a super rotation.