• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies-Nats Series thread.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say that Kapler gives clear, excellent post game press conferences. Hits on even the small details that matter.
Beware of the wolf in sheeps clothing! He is losing sleep at night imagining how he can change the lineup!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beware of the wolf in sheeps clothing! He is losing sleep at night imagining how he can change the lineup!

LOL. Actually, they questioned him about future lineup changes and he generally stated no need to do that since it’s working well so far. However, and obviously, lineup changes have to be made time to time to give the bench players some work. Possibly, tomorrow according to guys in the booth.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-0. A very nice change of scenery after how many losing season starts?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why take Zack out after 85 pitches and 9 Ks after 5?
i mean, it looks like you were watching the game, so you should know why. they took him out because it was 1st and 3rd with one out and they felt Williams as a PH had a better shot to get some more runs.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious tidbit on the rotation. When the Phils play the Nats next week, I heard that they will miss Scherzer. That may be why they decided to start Eflin and allow Nola to pitch against them in each series. Don't know if that was Gabe's strategery or if this was planned all along, but whatever is happening, it's working.

I'll admit, based on the analytics, I wanted Machado. But, I underestimated the 'bro' effect that Harper would have on the fans, the city, his manager, and his teammates. First time in 104 years that they are 4-0 to start a season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, it looks like you were watching the game, so you should know why. they took him out because it was 1st and 3rd with one out and they felt Williams as a PH had a better shot to get some more runs.
Squeeze right there for one run and mccutchen gets a crack with a runner in position.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Actually, they questioned him about future lineup changes and he generally stated no need to do that since it’s working well so far. However, and obviously, lineup changes have to be made time to time to give the bench players some work. Possibly, tomorrow according to guys in the booth.

I don’t buy the “Gabe losing sleep at night since he can’t tinker the lineup” line of thought, tongue-in-cheek or not. I think he’s shown to be far too loose with lineup setting, over using the analytics and being too cute. That’s undeniable.

But I don’t think he’s so dumb as to tinker with a sure fire lineup, especially with his seat sufficiently warmed.

What we have seen is the core lineup, something we certainly didn’t have so solidly last year. I think where the potential for the maddening Gabe to show up is when guys need to start getting breaks (which should start coming soon). How cute does he try to get with those lineups that aren’t the base lineup? That will be a bit interesting to view as it can screw up the mojo a bit of he gets too crazy.

Short of that....any coaching is a crapshoot of gambles. On paper it would have seemed we were half tossing the towel in putting Elfin against Sherzer in order to have Nola for both Nats series. But then that game happened and a manager comes away clean and smelling fresh.

What happens to Gabe if more and more of these types of moves pay off? That’s my big fear.....that it gets to his head and he really start getting cute and drives it into the ground. The only solace to that is that his seat has been warmed up; hopefully will hold some of the Kapler Madness at bay enough to let these guys keep charging.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Nats fans....come on out to the ballpark again today and boo Bryce, please.

After 2 SOs he basically comes up a triple short of the cycle on his first game back. Gotta love that! And also loved how he came out late in the game and bowed to the only full section left in the stadium. Lol

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, and 85 pitches was a healthy start this early. For me, it was fear of Phillies relief. It's an aggressive approach while the lead was only 2-0 and Segura's bases clearing double made it all work out. Alverez floundered but Ramos and Morgan held. Like it or not, gotta give a win to Kapler.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t buy the “Gabe losing sleep at night since he can’t tinker the lineup” line of thought, tongue-in-cheek or not. I think he’s shown to be far too loose with lineup setting, over using the analytics and being too cute. That’s undeniable.

But I don’t think he’s so dumb as to tinker with a sure fire lineup, especially with his seat sufficiently warmed.

What we have seen is the core lineup, something we certainly didn’t have so solidly last year. I think where the potential for the maddening Gabe to show up is when guys need to start getting breaks (which should start coming soon). How cute does he try to get with those lineups that aren’t the base lineup? That will be a bit interesting to view as it can screw up the mojo a bit of he gets too crazy.

Short of that....any coaching is a crapshoot of gambles. On paper it would have seemed we were half tossing the towel in putting Elfin against Sherzer in order to have Nola for both Nats series. But then that game happened and a manager comes away clean and smelling fresh.

What happens to Gabe if more and more of these types of moves pay off? That’s my big fear.....that it gets to his head and he really start getting cute and drives it into the ground. The only solace to that is that his seat has been warmed up; hopefully will hold some of the Kapler Madness at bay enough to let these guys keep charging.

I think we can look too deeply into Kapler's moves as "cute". He tried similar approaches last year, only difference is, he didn't have the personnel to make it work out. Every player collapsed in the second half and he had to take the heat.

This year is different. Solid acquisitions with analytics in mind (OBP!), more experience, and Kapler's what seems to be a perfect lineup are making it all work out. Plus, Franco's 8th location is brilliant, good for him, good for the team. Who else would have tried that?

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too early to say this lineup is better than the 2011 lineup with Pence included. But man, so far they're scary from top to bottom. It is mixed with patience and power. I love it.
It's probably better than 2011 but maybe not as good as 2007.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious tidbit on the rotation. When the Phils play the Nats next week, I heard that they will miss Scherzer. That may be why they decided to start Eflin and allow Nola to pitch against them in each series. Don't know if that was Gabe's strategery or if this was planned all along, but whatever is happening, it's working.

I'll admit, based on the analytics, I wanted Machado. But, I underestimated the 'bro' effect that Harper would have on the fans, the city, his manager, and his teammates. First time in 104 years that they are 4-0 to start a season.
That stat blew my mind. How do you never go 4-0 in 100 years?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not going to the bench yet