• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF stat on Blaine Gabbert

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On twitter:

9 QBs threw more air yards than Blaine Gabbert threw total passing yards.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A horrible rookie season. 65.4 QB passer rating and the lowest completion percentage (50.8%) in the entire NFL. I listened to the "Shutdown Corner" each week and they had nothing but bad things to say about Gabbert's progress (lack there of). Pretty much said that he would never amount anything in the NFL.

Maybe he can turn it around, but his pocket presence, footwork, accuracy, and decision-making are all very poor at this point. How does he not even get 1 TD pass to a very good TE in Mercedes Lewis?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much of it is the coaching, or lack there of?

IMO its Gabbert- not coaching. This is from what I've seen of him in the NFL and what others have stated as well. For example:

A league source expressed skepticism to ESPN Florida that Blaine Gabbert has what it takes to make it in the pros.
"The guy sees ghosts in the pocket," said the source. "I'm not sure if you can teach courage." ESPN Florida's Charlie Bernstein believes it's a "real possibility" that the Jaguars might quickly cut their losses with Gabbert and draft a first-round quarterback for a second straight year. Added Greg Cosell of NFL Films recently, "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback."

(This was taken from the Charlotte Observer)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO its Gabbert- not coaching. This is from what I've seen of him in the NFL and what others have stated as well. For example:

A league source expressed skepticism to ESPN Florida that Blaine Gabbert has what it takes to make it in the pros.
"The guy sees ghosts in the pocket," said the source. "I'm not sure if you can teach courage." ESPN Florida's Charlie Bernstein believes it's a "real possibility" that the Jaguars might quickly cut their losses with Gabbert and draft a first-round quarterback for a second straight year. Added Greg Cosell of NFL Films recently, "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback."

Damn that's harsh! Jags have :ss: at the wide receiver position. Yeah most of it was his fault. But coaching and lack of talent played a significant role in this.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was just as bad as Jimmy Clausen and Alex were in their rookie seasons.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was just as bad as Jimmy Clausen and Alex were in their rookie seasons.

I didn't get to watch Gabbert much this year, but Alex looked scared in his first season. He was getting hit a lot, but he looked like he wasn't ready. Not just his knowledge or going under center etc....he just looked like his body wasn't ready. Like he was kid playing against men. Say what you will about his abilities at this point, but I think he has it mentally now. Clausen was just a mess all around. Does Gabbert look like he isn't ready and can turn it around to be serviceable or does it just look like he doesn't have it?? I literally saw maybe 10 snaps of him through the redzone channel this year.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He got thrown right into a bad situation for which he wasn't prepared. Feeling sorry for the kid. Maybe it'll take him a couple of years and the right coach...hmm, wonder who that sounds like?
Personally, I hope he makes it, if only to prove that schmuck Greg Cosell wrong (yet again).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Gotta say, the use of the word courage here bothers me. Is standing in an NFL pocket really courage? Ballsiness, maybe, but I think courage implies something a little deeper. Just a pet peeve.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert is awful, but he will get another year mainly because there really aren't many other possibilities at this point.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh goodie...can i take a moment to laugh at Blaine.

:pound:

LMFAO

fuck off, Blaine! you Suck!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well to pick the kid up slightly can anyone name one of Jacksonville's WR?

At the very least Dalton had AJ Green and Cam had Steve Smith but Blaine had um......?

Of course with that said I don't see Blaine amounting to much of an NFL QB but you never know what could happen with the right coaching and system.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well to pick the kid up slightly can anyone name one of Jacksonville's WR?

At the very least Dalton had AJ Green and Cam had Steve Smith but Blaine had um......?

Of course with that said I don't see Blaine amounting to much of an NFL QB but you never know what could happen with the right coaching and system.

Mike Thomas, I want to say. And Jason Hill for more than half of the season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much of it is the coaching, or lack there of?

he wasn't ready to start. i put it on the coaches. i was not really high on the guy going into the draft, but he was really thrown to the wolves this year when he should have been slowly developing his qb skills in practice.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He looks exactly like a young Alex Smith when he plays, but as terrible as he was.......go compare his stats to Smith's rookie year, Gabbert was practically a Manning in relation.

At what point does Cosell just shut up and stop making big predictions?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks exactly like a young Alex Smith when he plays, but as terrible as he was.......go compare his stats to Smith's rookie year, Gabbert was practically a Manning in relation.

At what point does Cosell just shut up and stop making big predictions?

Can't argue with the young Alex Smith comparison as painful as that is. It's not just stats though- its a guy feeling when watching Gabbert play.

I like some of Cosell's stuff and don't like some of it. He watches an insane amount of film and he's paid to make those kinds of predictions. He very reluctantly gave Smith credit at times, but mostly took subtle and not so subtle jabs at him which became annoying as I listened to the Shutdown Corner podcast each week. He is very good at seeing lesser-known players standout on film and at breaking down alignments, play designs, etc. on any give play. That's why I'll continue to listen to him.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert has always looked the part and acted the part extremely well. That's about it.

He gets extremely flustered if you come after him. His release is slower than average and coming out of highschool they said he could run... Not true.

Once he gets going he has some ok straighline speed but he's so slow taking off.

He looks clumsy at best avoiding the rush. I thought his height and accuracy would kind of help him work through the other stuff but he lost whatever accuracy he had when asked to run something other than spread 4 wides and empty sets. :L

Bust written all over this guy.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched any of his game sin the NFL, but coming out of college I fully expected him to need some time. I thought throwing him into the fire, made no sense, especially with a short off season.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like some of Cosell's stuff and don't like some of it. He watches an insane amount of film and he's paid to make those kinds of predictions. He very reluctantly gave Smith credit at times, but mostly took subtle and not so subtle jabs at him which became annoying as I listened to the Shutdown Corner podcast each week. He is very good at seeing lesser-known players standout on film and at breaking down alignments, play designs, etc. on any give play. That's why I'll continue to listen to him.

Yeah, he knows his stuff. I never liked his appearances on KNBR so much, but his game breakdowns on the NFL Films blog are pretty great. He makes some extremely subtle observations about players' technique that I don't see anywhere else.

I just don't like the definitive proclamations about players that he seems to enjoy. Nobody knows how Gabbert will develop, and there have been no shortage of QBs that looked lost as rookies and turned into something. I'm pretty sure plenty of teams would have made the guy a 1st round pick last year, does Cosell know more than they do?