• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll ‘over’ Seahawks’ Super Bowl loss, looking to future

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHOENIX — Seahawks coach Pete Carroll sat down Wednesday morning to face the media at the NFL League Meetings and braced himself for what he knew would come next — a flurry of questions about the Super Bowl and where the team goes from here.

Asked almost immediately if it felt weird being back in metro Phoenix — the game was played in nearby Glendale, Ariz. — Carroll shook his head.

“No,’’ he said during a mandatory hour-long session on the day the league meetings concluded. “I’ve been to Phoenix a lot.’’

From that point on, though, it might be more accurate to say that Carroll embraced the questions that came his way, as he put on display for the world to see his well-crafted theme for this offseason: The best way to move on is not to treat the Super Bowl loss as a momentous obstacle to overcome but simply another challenge to be met.

A challenge no different, he said, than the one the Seahawks were presented with last season in trying to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

“It’s the same (challenge),’’ he said, repeating what has become something of a mantra as the 28-24 loss to the New England Patriots on Feb. 1 has begun to recede into the past and bullet points for the 2015 season have begun to crystallize. “It’s exactly the same. The very next step you take — you have to get focused on it and maximize it. It’s exactly the same.

“And that’s why I’m confident that this team is going to come back and fricking roar. We are going to roar back into this offseason. These guys are working hard for it.’’

And the idea that the Seahawks forever will feel a searing pain from being mere feet from two consecutive Super Bowl victories?

Carroll instead presented it as Seattle’s players understanding what an achievement it was to be that close in the first place.

“They know the margin of what just happened. They understand that. They know that,’’ he said. “What are you going to be like the next step? We should be good. We should be stronger. We should be better in a lot of areas. We are growing. We are still a young team that’s maturing. It couldn’t be more exciting, really. And yeah there’s this story (about the Super Bowl), but that’s already done.’’

At the end of that answer, he referred to doubts about the team’s ability last year to get back to the Super Bowl, let alone repeat.

“Hopefully we can surprise you again,’’ he said.

What he also knew were coming were questions about the final offensive play.

To one question about Russell Wilson’s ill-fated pass from the Patriots’ 1-yard-line (which was intercepted by Malcolm Buter, preventing the Seahawks from taking the lead), Carroll delivered a 376-word answer in which he reiterated the same themes as after the game.

Minnesota has no plans to trade Adrian Peterson
Specifically, he said the call came out of a plan that was long in the making and dictated by the fact that the Seahawks had just one timeout remaining.

“I wish the play would have turned out differently, and there are other choices we could have called,’’ he said. “And next time it probably won’t be that exact same play. But it’s all part of the process, that’s why my thinking is clear.

“I knew going into the situation, we knew we were going to throw the ball down there. If we assume it’s going to take all four plays to score, we knew we were going to throw the ball down there, and that’s because of the clock situation, and we had prepared for that for years. So it was not a difficult situation. The fact that all of the focus goes toward it, it is what it is. I can live with that.’’

At another point, asked how long it took him to get over the loss, Carroll said: “I’m over it. I’m way over that. But I’m still answering questions about it, and we have to be prepared to do that. And as we revisit the memory, we have to go there, put our toe in the water and get going. And that’s what we’ll do.’’

To Carroll, it’s all part of the story that is this era of Seattle football, of which the Super Bowl loss was just one chapter.

“We will look back at this time period someday, and that game will be a marker, just like the game a year ago was a marker,’’ he said. “And we’ll see what it all means when we add it up.’’

He made it clear Wednesday that he still expects the Seahawks to come out ahead.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have too move forward... Pats had to endure that a couple times, it's just part of sports... sometimes bad things happen, just like in life, you gotta roll on ... It's a bitch but it's the way it is....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has already shown us they can come together in tough situations, like the Atl playoff lose. I have no doubts this squad has already moved on, enjoying the offseason and then get ready for another SB run. This is what makes our team special.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has already shown us they can come together in tough situations, like the Atl playoff lose. I have no doubts this squad has already moved on, enjoying the offseason and then get ready for another SB run. This is what makes our team special.

Yep.. That Atlanta loss was a BRUTAL one also... It was used as good motivation the next year... Let's see if they can apply that again....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.. That Atlanta loss was a BRUTAL one also... It was used as good motivation the next year... Let's see if they can apply that again....

With the way the SB ended, I expect this team to be motivated with a sense of "unfinished business" to get back to the big game. Now add big play Jimmy into the mix, man I can't to see what the finished product of the team will look like come week 1.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised that he's publicly saying he's over the Super Bowl loss. As a general rule, Carroll tends not to let things linger, good or bad. A year ago he and the team were ready to put the Super Bowl behind them, and they won that one. If the media didn't ask him about it seemingly every time they talk to him, it wouldn't even come up.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good that he is not dwelling on it. I wouldn't expect him to.

I have been over it since soon after it happened. Been looking forward to next year instead of worrying about something that happened in the past.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're good enough to consistently play on big stages, there are going to be disappointments. The true mark of the competitor is how you respond. Another great thing about the Graham addition is now there is a clearly defined transition/difference between the '14 team and the next one. Easier to move on.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to JG playing for our team. I truly think he will help in many ways. We should become more efficient across the board.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had Graham in that superbowl that pass is not intercepted, at worst it would have been knocked up and out of the back of the endzone.( if Graham was in Lockette's place ) But then again If Graham was here then i do not think the Pats would have had the lead or even close to it lol. if's don't count though.

P.S. whats up with my likes? am i really not liked here? lol

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had Graham in that superbowl that pass is not intercepted, at worst it would have been knocked up and out of the back of the endzone.( if Graham was in Lockette's place ) But then again If Graham was here then i do not think the Pats would have had the lead or even close to it lol. if's don't count though.

P.S. whats up with my likes? am i really not liked here? lol

I too thought about that. JG would have been strong enough to get in front of Butler and at worst cause the pass to fall incomplete. I can't wait to see this guy on the field for us.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too thought about that. JG would have been strong enough to get in front of Butler and at worst cause the pass to fall incomplete. I can't wait to see this guy on the field for us.

More likely, Graham is covered by a LB/Safety, who he can beat, or Browner, and we get to have one of our top 2 receivers run the route.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to have a good team and an organization you can count on.
Many teams this time of year are desperate and trying to figure out what the hell to do.
Seattle will be near the top again in expectations. Why look back?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to have a good team and an organization you can count on.
Many teams this time of year are desperate and trying to figure out what the hell to do.
Seattle will be near the top again in expectations. Why look back?
Pretty much where I am. I still think we're closer to the beginning of a big run than the end. It's been a great decade+ for NE and they lost not one but two heart breakers, yet this 15 year run or so is going to be looked back on as being as good as any or maybe even the best.