• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pearson to pens

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioned it in the game thread last night moves were going to come within days if not immediately

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanlin is fast and ufa....but really that is la doing

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is la doing....if he came with a pick, ok I guess...did get older and faster but not sure that's important now

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put the team on notice I guess...but they all know anyways

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See ya, thanks for the memories but that was so 2014.

=)~~

Definitely regressed gradually, the last 2-3 years. I really hoped he would turn it around this season after putting in so much work and not being rewarded for it last season but there was a disconnect to start the season that was obvious within him (granted, it isn't fair to say he's the only one).

Hopefully a change of scenery will benefit him and get his career back on track, he seems like a good guy and has talent but struggles to find that next level. Playing with Crosby and Malkin will help and his speed will be valuable.

Hagelin is older and has struggled himself but this is a salary dump and pretty sure the beginning of the fire sale. Pittsburgh apparently retained $250,000 so the cap hit is unchanged for LA ($3.75 million).

This is a similar deal to last year's Cammalleri for Jokinen, two guys struggling on thri former teams, traded here to maybe pick it up and both coming off the books at the end of the season. The difference was Blake traded a player who has 2 more years on his deal for Pittsburgh taking on $250,000 to not affect LA's cap.

The bigger thing is Hagelin is a UFA and will either a) be traded again at the deadline if he picks it up or b) allowed to walk on July 1.Blake just cleared out $7.5 million in cap space for 2019 and 2020 and I think it's fair to say the Kings are going into rebuild or retool.

I hope this really lights a fire under the guys, specifically Toffoli now that his buddy has been traded.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UFA status of Hagelin would work well for a flip to say, Toronto. How about Muzz, Hagelin, + Voynov for Nylander???

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we end up with nylander...which sucks. He wants 8+ and that's a waste, plus he has shown the $ is a problem and will continue to be

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't followed the details of the Nylander and Toronto negotiations / $$$. If he goes for $7M, then Kings could squeeze him in both this year and next. $8M is probably too high.

Has there been any details leaked to what he is asking vs. what Toronto offered?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tor offer is 6.67...he wants 8+ firm is what I heard

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. If he is firm about $8M, then he likely has to go to a team with a ton of cap room. Carolina will get him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I have with Nylander is the ask if it's truly $8 million+.

Below are guys currently in the league who he is comparable with, but this isn't a clear cut comparison it's a snapshot of what his career is shaping up to be. It's broken down by signing age, amount and cap hit.

As you can see apart from Eichel, there isn't a franchise player on there:

Viktor Arvidson - 24/7 years/$29.75 million ($4.25 million)
Nikolaj Ehlers - 21/7 years/$42 million ($6 million)
Dylan Larkin - 22/5 years/$30.5 million ($6.1 million)
Jonathan Marchessault - 27/6 years/$30 million ($6 million)
Jack Eichel - 20/8 years/$80 million ($10 million)

Arvidson and Marchessault's contracts take them well past the 8 years/age 27 UFA eligibility so you can assume there was a premium paid on those deals since they would forego a few UFA years., the other 3 guys signed deals that either ate up 1 year of UFA or expire exactly when they will be UFA.

The average of all these guys is roughly $6.5 million, which I think is pretty fair for a player of Nylander's experience and stature so the $8 million ask, to me anyway, is way out of line.

David Pastrnak already has 2 seasons of 30+ goals and 70 and 80 points under his belt and he signed a 6 year/$40 million deal ($6.67 at million) at age 21. He will be a UFA at the end of this deal, he's 22 and this is his 5th season in the league already.

He is a more accomplished player than Nylander is IMO and if he is going for $6.67 million, I think Nylander needs to ditch his agent before he ruins his career.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nylander = Le'veon Bell?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nylander = Le'veon Bell?

Yes and no...one of them was arguably the best at his position in the league....the other wasn't even the best on his own team....might be able to say that of both now....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pearson will do well in Pitt. He won't have to create his own anything, and he'll give Pitt some size/speed/defensive accountability. I read similar that LA will probably trade Hagelin at the trade deadline or let him walk, which is fine. Use the cap space elsewhere.

I am not on board with the Nylander talks at what he's asking. Just let that be Toronto's problem, and probably Carolina or whoever else's problem. I am pretty much just on board with letting this team fail as is right now. They fired the coach, and now it's time to let these dudes put up or shutup.

Let us see how the market evolves, and maybe move two more guys near the deadline for good value. In the summer, address some more things, make more trades around the draft. Get some youth and some young guys to get excited about, even if there will be a few lean years. Doesn't have to be a full rebuild, but two down years, probably with just a few of the guys currently on this roster.

Stinks to "throw away" another year, but they signed Kovalchuk and made the moves they could, it just wasn't meant to be right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This core has gotten 2 head coaches fired in 3 years. The only argument is that Stevens was just an extension of Sutter. But they might be working on a 3rd already with those last 3 home games with Willie Desjardins.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desjardins has to be thinking to himself "what the hell did I get myself into". This was supposed to be an audition for him to maybe stay in LA or get back to an NHL gig but he inherited a disaster of a team that he wasn't probably expecting.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not on board with the Nylander talks at what he's asking. Just let that be Toronto's problem, and probably Carolina or whoever else's problem. I am pretty much just on board with letting this team fail as is right now. They fired the coach, and now it's time to let these dudes put up or shutup.

I chatted with a Toronto friend on my beer-league team last night (one of those real polite Canadian type folks). But he sure made it sound like Nylander is way too much of a headache. Apparently Nylander's papa is involved, who himself held-out for more $$$ back in the day. I am changing my tune and going against acquiring him (unless for some reason it turns out to be a low price both in terms of team assets and cap space). Agree that he should be Toronto, Carolina, or someone else's issue and not the Kings.

I'm all for letting the team struggle, miss the playoffs by a lot, and hope for a miracle with a lottery win (or least top-5 pick). But Blake should absolutely being pursuing additional trades to make them better. Whether that is mid-season, trade deadline, or Draft.