• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peacock (NBCUniversal's new streaming service)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final expected major streaming service has been announced!

Of the 5 major Hollywood studios, NBCUniversal was the only one without a previously announced main entrant in the new streaming wars. (NBCUniversal does have a share of Hulu, but only a lesser stake, with Disney holding a controlling interest in Hulu.)

Today, NBCUniversal have announced that their streaming service will be called Peacock and will launch in April 2020. Pricing has not yet been announced.

Deadline has a long list of the films and shows that will be available at launch.

3261f57e-3aa1-4753-9529-7edec91510b2-Screen_Shot_2019-09-17_at_9.50.49_AM.jpg

Last edited:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's getting to be too many of these... what's the point of unbundling / cord cutting if you're going to be forced to buy from everyone in the end, anyway?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's getting to be too many of these... what's the point of unbundling / cord cutting if you're going to be forced to buy from everyone in the end, anyway?
Gonna end up being just as expensive.

I use my brother's Netflix, and have Hulu. Honestly, I should be able to find enough to watch off those two and Amazon to be sufficient.... If I end up missing something else, oh well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may end that account-sharing will be the answer to the ala carte problems that are creeping up.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's getting to be too many of these... what's the point of unbundling if you're going to be forced to buy from everyone?

Eh, there's not that many. There's going to be basically 10 total that matter...:

- Netflix
- 6 from the major studios: All Access, Crackle, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Peacock
- 3 from the tech giants: Apple TV+, Prime Video, YouTube Premium

...and, currently, Apple TV+ and YouTube Premium don't even have all that much content (actually, Apple TV+ is just launching and barely has anything at all), so you could drop those 2 and not miss much.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought this on Amazon for 150.00 ..records whatever is on the screen. The resolution and sound is really good.
Going to amass a monstrous collection of movies and shows. Gives the the option to cancel services on and off through the year.

61ZLhAKh%2B5L._SL1500_.jpg

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, there's not that many. There's going to be basically 10 total that matter...:

- Netflix
- 6 from the major studios: All Access, Crackle, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Peacock
- 3 from the tech giants: Apple TV+, Prime Video, YouTube Premium

...and, currently, Apple TV+ and YouTube Premium don't even have all that much content (actually, Apple TV+ is just launching and barely has anything at all), so you could drop those 2 and not miss much.
Cool thing is you can just change it each month and catch up. I recently went from Netflix to Amazon. I likely will go back after I'm done with their content.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may end that account-sharing will be the answer to the ala carte problems that are creeping up.
Probably eventually. If so... Meh, it'll suck a little, but I'll get by.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or use kodi or whatever free streaming you want...

Never understood why pirating is bad... I mean, who else watches half of these movies or shows, besides piraters?? and who do you think recommends movies and shows??

Reactions: gob

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never understood why pirating is bad... I mean, who else watches half of these movies or shows, besides piraters?? and who do you think recommends movies and shows??
You don’t understand how pirating is bad??

You don’t think people should be paid for their work? The ethics are quite clear here.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t understand how pirating is bad??

You don’t think people should be paid for their work? The ethics are quite clear here.

When the option is either pirate and watch or never watch ever then the ethics blurrs.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought this on Amazon for 150.00 ..records whatever is on the screen. The resolution and sound is really good.
Going to amass a monstrous collection of movies and shows. Gives the the option to cancel services on and off through the year.

61ZLhAKh%2B5L._SL1500_.jpg

Define really good.

DTS, Atmos, True HD, etc.

DD 5:1 just doesn't cut it.

I've never had better sound in a movie than from a new BluRay.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me cable any day.

I can afford cable. I can easily record cable.

It's better than streaming.

As far as general run of the mill TV stuff goes. Like NFL Sunday Ticket with multiple games at once.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the option is either pirate and watch or never watch ever then the ethics blurrs.
Actually, the ethics don’t blur. Stealing an apple because you are starving is blurred ethics. Stealing a movie because you are bored is not blurred ethics.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the ethics don’t blur. Stealing an apple because you are starving is blurred ethics. Stealing a movie because you are bored is not blurred ethics.

agree to disagree there...

If we did an SAT analogy

Hungry is to apple as what is to entertainment... Bored would be an equivalent answer...

and pirating a movie or show can have its benefits to the "victim" stealing food doesn't....

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree to disagree there...

If we did an SAT analogy

Hungry is to apple as what is to entertainment... Bored would be an equivalent answer...

and pirating a movie or show can have its benefits to the "victim" stealing food doesn't....

Stealing clothing from a store has it's benefits to the victim as well... :rolleyes2:

except it passes the cost along to everyone else that actually pays for and buys "stuff."

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing clothing from a store has it's benefits to the victim as well... :rolleyes2:

except it passes the cost along to everyone else that actually pays for and buys "stuff."

bad example, stealing clothing from a store, you are stealing from the store not from the designer... so there is really no benefit at all to the store... and the designer can only be benefited if the RIGHT person stole it...

When you steal movies or TV, you are stealing from the production company who pays everyone involved in the production...

stealing a view of their production, guarantees it to be seen... And if enjoyed, the person is more likely than BEFORE to subscribe to whatever outlet that production company puts their stuff on... and if you enjoyed the production, you are more willing to recommend it to other people, so the production gets the following it deserves...

when the alternative to stealing tv or movie is not watching it at all, then the harm is minimal...

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you steal movies or TV, you are stealing from the production company who pays everyone involved in the production...

Ummm.... no. You are stealing from the provider that has negotiated the deals (and pre-paid) from the owner of the content, for the rights to provide said content to the general public.

stealing a view of their production, guarantees it to be seen... And if enjoyed, the person is more likely than BEFORE to subscribe to whatever outlet that production company puts their stuff on... and if you enjoyed the production, you are more willing to recommend it to other people, so the production gets the following it deserves...
:spit: :pound:

No. It's fat slobs like @gobucks0409 eating chips on the couch, probably feeling a little entitled... "because fuck business..."

and lemme guess.... he's out there touting how awesome the latest Netflix drop was...

MORE LIKELY... he'll watch something, and rarely if ever mention it to anyone.... good or bad.

amirite?

I'm sure he feels compelled to purchase from the provider.... that's why he uses his brother's account...

source.gif

when the alternative to stealing tv or movie is not watching it at all, then the harm is minimal...

sure... 1 person here. Another person there....

same thing. I steal a shirt here... and a shirt there... someone else comes along and steals a shirt... and all the sudden, Macy's is pricing in the cost of stolen merchandise.

It would be naive of you to think that the providers aren't pricing in, to account for the people that share....

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do use Kodi sometimes

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm.... no. You are stealing from the provider that has negotiated the deals (and pre-paid) from the owner of the content, for the rights to provide said content to the general public.

:spit: :pound:

No. It's fat slobs like @gobucks0409 eating chips on the couch, probably feeling a little entitled... "because fuck business..."

and lemme guess.... he's out there touting how awesome the latest Netflix drop was...

MORE LIKELY... he'll watch something, and rarely if ever mention it to anyone.... good or bad.

amirite?

I'm sure he feels compelled to purchase from the provider.... that's why he uses his brother's account...

source.gif

sure... 1 person here. Another person there....

same thing. I steal a shirt here... and a shirt there... someone else comes along and steals a shirt... and all the sudden, Macy's is pricing in the cost of stolen merchandise.

It would be naive of you to think that the providers aren't pricing in, to account for the people that share....

Here is an interesting question.

Fiscally speaking is their a difference to the production company (or the legal streaming sites) whether you illegally stream or not watch at all??