• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats Welker, Talib to hit FA market?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady hoping ?heart and soul? Welker returns | ProFootballTalk

Welker played out this year under a $9.5 million franchise tag, and they could always tag him again for $11.4 million this coming season.

Welker had a team-high 118 catches this season, and has averaged 112 per year with the Patriots.

You’d think they’d want to take care of him, but going into the offseason, you wonder if they’ll use his age (31) and some high-profile playoff drops against him.

Talib loved being a Patriot, but doesn?t know if it will last | ProFootballTalk

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welker will get signed. I have a feeling Talib will as well. Talib was a big part of the defense turn around. They would be smart to sign him, they are one of the few teams with a good enough locker room to control him. Welker won't get tagged again, but I bet they get a 3 year deal for him. 3/$30m?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins need cornerbacks and have tons of cap spa......oh yeah fuck you Goodell for punishing us for NOT COLLUDING with your gangster league.

ANd then it was ruled that the punishment wasn't collusion, how did that happen? That whole fiasco is sickening and I hope the Giants never see the playoffs in Mara's life again.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welker will get signed. I have a feeling Talib will as well. Talib was a big part of the defense turn around. They would be smart to sign him, they are one of the few teams with a good enough locker room to control him. Welker won't get tagged again, but I bet they get a 3 year deal for him. 3/$30m?

Talib is a crucial sign there - when he went out yesterday, it was a big loss (and it showed). And Welker's skill-set is such a crucial part of their O, it's kind of hard to imagine how it would work without him.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Pats, I probably part ways with Welker. One thing that's clear is that he's starting to hear the footsteps. Those drops occurred because he was looking around for the hit.

Once that starts to happen, it's ALL downhill for a WR. He'll start alligator arming everything.

One thing I've never understood is why the Pats don't go out for big name talent on offense. They try to get by with scrubs that Brady makes better, but Brady won't be there too much longer, and they need reliable offensive players. Nows as good a time as any to get that hotshot up and coming WR, instead of some dude nobody else wanted.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) If I'm the Pats, I probably part ways with Welker. One thing that's clear is that he's starting to hear the footsteps. Those drops occurred because he was looking around for the hit.

Once that starts to happen, it's ALL downhill for a WR. He'll start alligator arming everything.

(2) One thing I've never understood is why the Pats don't go out for big name talent on offense. They try to get by with scrubs that Brady makes better, but Brady won't be there too much longer, and they need reliable offensive players. Nows as good a time as any to get that hotshot up and coming WR, instead of some dude nobody else wanted.

(1) I don't agree with that - he had a personal high in receptions this year. When I mentioned his skill-set earlier, I meant his superb route-running, which (imo) Brady has come to depend on heavily. I do think it's crazy to have him back there returning punts.

As a homer aside, Ace Sanders is entering the draft from USC, and I think with the right coaching he could become a Welker-type WR (same physical #s). He's a great KR.

(2) I do agree with this. Their rotation at back Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead is ok - but an explosive playmaker there and at WR seems in order. Randy Moss played a big role in that undefeated (regular) season.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Pats, I probably part ways with Welker. One thing that's clear is that he's starting to hear the footsteps. Those drops occurred because he was looking around for the hit.

That's because the Ravens D was laying the wood out there on them last night.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) I don't agree with that - he had a personal high in receptions this year. When I mentioned his skill-set earlier, I meant his superb route-running, which (imo) Brady has come to depend on heavily. I do think it's crazy to have him back there returning punts.

Thank god someone else sees this with Welker. Everyone says he drops passes like he's some bum 7th rounder playing for the Raiders. He dropped one pass in the SB (THAT WAS OVERTHROWN) and all of a sudden he's a liability. He can catch 6+ passes a game, go over 100 yards, score a TD or two but if he drops one pass in a game its "Oh shit, he's done. What a bum". He's the most consistent WR they've got since his tenure with NE (and really the league for that matter)