• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots Will Pay Tom Brady $24M Thru 2017 NFL Season

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the real truth.

You can read the whole article here.

Guess it depends on who u listen too

Brady’s relationship with the Patriots is one of the most interesting dynamics in all of sports. His willingness to do these things almost creates an unfair advantage as no other high end QB has ever played ball to this level with a team. Brady’s initial $24 million extension was signed at a time when he would have likely commanded between $55 and $60 million over the same timeframe on a regular contract extension.

Brady’s $8 million salary in 2015 ranks 17th in the NFL, a ranking that will fall further once quarterbacks are extended and other drafted in the top 5. His cap charge of $14 million also ranks 17th. Meanwhile his closest contemporaries of Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tony Romo will carry cap charges of $21.5, $26.4, and $27.7 million and actual salaries of $19, $19 and $17 million. There is likely no other player in the NFL that would work with a team in this manner and the Patriots should be thankful for having a player like Brady.:suds::

Thoughts on the Tom Brady Restructure with Patriots - Over the Cap

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team First is exactly what he did. Truth hurts don't it?

How is this team first though? It frees up some cash but like Broncos6482 posted the article states why in the world does the Owner who is worth over $4 billion need to worry about whether or not he has $24 million in cash to spend this year? Throw in this actually cost the team $3 million in cap space over the next 3 years which really isn't much but still hits the cap a bit. Really what this does is free up Tom Brady to move on from the Patriots more than anything else. There were rumors earlier in the year that the Patriots were starting to look to move on from Brady. Now I don't think that happens for this next year but the year after that I could definitely see that smoke start to show some fire with Grappolo waiting in the wings. I think it will all depend on how much Grappolo develops in that time span.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I can't wait to revisit this thread about Brady being such a selfless humanitarian when they're paying him $24,000,000 to warm benches late next season and for the next two seasons after that. Or back up Alex Smith in KC.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this team first though? It frees up some cash but like Broncos6482 posted the article states why in the world does the Owner who is worth over $4 billion need to worry about whether or not he has $24 million in cash to spend this year? Throw in this actually cost the team $3 million in cap space over the next 3 years which really isn't much but still hits the cap a bit. Really what this does is free up Tom Brady to move on from the Patriots more than anything else. There were rumors earlier in the year that the Patriots were starting to look to move on from Brady. Now I don't think that happens for this next year but the year after that I could definitely see that smoke start to show some fire with Grappolo waiting in the wings. I think it will all depend on how much Grappolo develops in that time span.

Exactly this. Tom Brady doesn't want to get Logan Mankinsed, so he made it easier for the Patriots to cut him. That's it. This way if they want to move on from him they don't have to trade him, they can cut him, at which point he'll be free to sign a large free agent contract a la Peyton Manning in 2012.

Everyone who thinks he did this to help the Patriots sign free agents doesn't understand what he did. I mean, I guess if Kraft was really hurting for cash this would help the Patriots, but I don't think that's true. And his cap hit actually increased by a million due to this restructuring.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I can't wait to revisit this thread about Brady being such a selfless humanitarian when they're paying him $24,000,000 to warm benches late next season and for the next two seasons after that. Or back up Alex Smith in KC.

They won't pay him to sit on the bench, they'll cut him. Before they couldn't do that due to the cap hit. Now they can.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't pay him to sit on the bench, they'll cut him. Before they couldn't do that due to the cap hit. Now they can.

"But... but... but... the Patriots are sooooo loyal to their players. They never mistreat them!" :rollseyes:

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly this. Tom Brady doesn't want to get Logan Mankinsed, so he made it easier for the Patriots to cut him. That's it. This way if they want to move on from him they don't have to trade him, they can cut him, at which point he'll be free to sign a large free agent contract a la Peyton Manning in 2012.

Everyone who thinks he did this to help the Patriots sign free agents doesn't understand what he did. I mean, I guess if Kraft was really hurting for cash this would help the Patriots, but I don't think that's true. And his cap hit actually increased by a million due to this restructuring.

Most likely 100% right. The relationship between Brady and the Pats is destined to end at some point. I mean the niners traded Montana (GOAT IMO) when they thought he was done.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady's salary is just vacation and spending money to him and his wife. She makes the bank.

Tom Brady Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Gisele Bundchen Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

And that's probably why he was willing to give up the guaranteed money to have a little more flexibility. Tom Brady is no dummy, and I guarantee you he doesn't want to get traded to some scrub team because the Patriots want to move on to JG but they can't afford to cut him. Well, now they can afford to cut him.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely 100% right. The relationship between Brady and the Pats is destined to end at some point. I mean the niners traded Montana (GOAT IMO) when they thought he was done.

Exactly. This doesn't mean they're going to move on from him of course, but now both sides have flexibility to make that happen.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time Brady did this to help out the team the Pats let go his best friend to sign Amendola, I wonder who will get the shaft this time.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....or.......maybe "start" in tennesee,........hmm.,.......I can just [picture] hammered all excited like a young school-girl in love....!

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time Brady did this to help out the team the Pats let go his best friend to sign Amendola, I wonder who will get the shaft this time.

"His benevolence knows no bounds." :L

Sgthall999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how is Wesley working out in Denver right now? That man is one concussion away from being brain dead! And speaking of "loyalty", one of the reasons the Pats have been consistently successful is because the Pats don't hang on to players when they're no longer earning their pay. The NFL is a shrewd business, and players know this. Even today there are players who went to other organizations, yet remain loyal to the Patriots ala Deion Branch, Drew Bledsoe, Ty Law, Lawyer Millioy, etc.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how is Wesley working out in Denver right now? That man is one concussion away from being brain dead! And speaking of "loyalty", one of the reasons the Pats have been consistently successful is because the Pats don't hang on to players when they're no longer earning their pay. The NFL is a shrewd business, and players know this. Even today there are players who went to other organizations, yet remain loyal to the Patriots ala Deion Branch, Drew Bledsoe, Ty Law, Lawyer Millioy, etc.

I think he has worked out just fine. He was a big part of our offense that pretty much wrote the NFL Record book last year and while his numbers haven't been great this year stats wise he has done well making the clutch plays for the team when we needed one. Throw in he seems to be playing his best ball now heading into the playoffs as he has become our punt returner and has been a bit more involved in the offense as of late.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now the truth:suds:

Tom Brady restructured his contract to free up $24 million for the Patriots to spend this offseason.
Brady agreed to change $24 million in a "skill" guarantee to an "injury-only" guarantee, meaning he would only now be guaranteed the money in the event of an injury. (The Patriots could cut Brady and be off the hook for that $24 million.) The Patriots need to re-sign Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder, and perhaps Shane Vereen. They now have the resources to do it.
.....I think hammered just left with his two/man lynch-mob....once he read this...^^^.

Sgthall999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has worked out just fine. He was a big part of our offense that pretty much wrote the NFL Record book last year and while his numbers haven't been great this year stats wise he has done well making the clutch plays for the team when we needed one. Throw in he seems to be playing his best ball now heading into the playoffs as he has become our punt returner and has been a bit more involved in the offense as of late.

But never showed up for the big game, as you all experienced last year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....I think hammered just left with his two/man lynch-mob....once he read this...^^^.

I guess I just don't understand how they NOW have the resources when all this did was free up $24 million in Cash not actual Cap Space. Is your owner really hurting for money where he couldn't fork over the extra $24 million that he eventually is going to have to pay anyway?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But never showed up for the big game, as you all experienced last year.

Not sure what you mean by this...if you are talking about the Super Bowl then wondering if you actually watched the game because Welker was one of the few bright spots for the Broncos having 8 catches for 84 yards. He was not the issue in the Super Bowl.