• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots acquire Greg Salas from Rams for a 2015 conditional pick

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
according to Adam Schefter. Salas will open up the year as the Patriots 5th receiver..

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Patriots extended Gronk and Hernandez. They did not extend Welker and it sounds like Welker is just playing out his contract.

Will Welker be back after that? Or will he be put to the curb like Moss, Chad Johnson, and recently Deion Branch?

Is Salas a Welker replacement?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Salas a Welker replacement?

I'm thinking he's exactly that if Welker wants more than they think he's worth. Salas is probably not going to be as good but should be effective enough for their needs.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm thinking he's exactly that if Welker wants more than they think he's worth. Salas is probably not going to be as good but should be effective enough for their needs.

I wouldn't get close to thinking that he's going to replace Walker anytime soon or that they have high expectations that he will do that until they watch him try to pick up and adapt to their offense. Right now he's their 5th receiver. Without Salas, they were going into the year with just 4 wide receivers: Welker, Lloyd, Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater. Edelman and Slater play the same WR position.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't get close to thinking that he's going to replace Walker anytime soon or that they have high expectations that he will do that until they watch him try to pick up and adapt to their offense. Right now he's their 5th receiver. Without Salas, they were going into the year with just 4 wide receivers: Welker, Lloyd, Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater. Edelman and Slater play the same WR position.

Not saying that Salas is great, but don't think they would have given up a draft pick if all they envisioned was him being the #5. I think they expect him to pass Edelman and Slater on the depth chart. Otherwise, why not just sign a FA or bring back Stallworth?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not saying that Salas is great, but don't think they would have given up a draft pick if all they envisioned was him being the #5. I think they expect him to pass Edelman and Slater on the depth chart. Otherwise, why not just sign a FA or bring back Stallworth?

My argument was just that I don't think this plays into Wes Welker very much right away, if any at all.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument was just that I don't think this plays into Wes Welker very much right away, if any at all.

Depends on your idea of right away, I guess. I'm talking about next year when he's a FA again.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting from the Rams' perspective. I figured Pettis was the guy who was in some trouble, especially considering the suspension.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wish they would have dumped Pettis instead.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Update: The Patriots waived him (Greg Salas) yesterday and signed him to the practice squad today.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update: The Patriots waived him (Greg Salas) yesterday and signed him to the practice squad today.

I stand by my statement. Their vision wasn't reality but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. But no way did they give up a draft pick knowing they would throw him on the PS. And they did in fact bring back a vet off the street.