• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pass Interference rule

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the ball is in the air, they are all pass interference calls though. A flag on a downfield pass is most likely going to be PI.
but according to the PI rule when the ball is in the air if it doesnt affect the player to catch the ball it isnt a PI
So all these ticky tack contacts arent PI's
The idea you are not allowed to touch the player is false.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but according to the PI rule when the ball is in the air if it doesnt affect the player to catch the ball it isnt a PI
So all these ticky tack contacts arent PI's
The idea you are not allowed to touch the player is false.

A loophole they seem to be attempting to close. The illegal contact rule is being enforced more strongly this season as a point of emphasis. It's not strictly no contact, but redirecting a player or affecting the catch attempt definitely is. Our read as fans varies greatly depending on who is defending and who is receiving, lol.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A loophole they seem to be attempting to close. The illegal contact rule is being enforced more strongly this season as a point of emphasis. It's not strictly no contact, but redirecting a player or affecting the catch attempt definitely is. Our read as fans varies greatly depending on who is defending and who is receiving, lol.
I absolutely agree in the bolded.

was watching Redzone & most I saw the bolded wasnt happening.
Didnt see any PI on my team for the record. I just hate seeing a shall we say a very questionable PI give a team 50 yards & the win.
Then watch offensive players literally push off to get separation & it be called all good LOL

I am obviously on the side. If it didnt affect the play. It shouldnt be called. (especially considering the severity of the rule) Which is I believe the way the rule was intended from the beginning.
But then we started micro-judging the contacts.
Also while on the subject. Both players have the right to the ball. So if a defender is going for the ball & they make contact also shouldnt be a PI. As long as it it isnt through the back of the player or something obvious like that. Seen a safety running up for the ball & a WR run into the defender who is trying to int. & it gets called on the Defender.
Also on the cheap side of PI's
When a receiver stops in front of a running defender & forces contact & gets a cheap PI (like on under thrown balls) technically the offensive player ran into the defender.

& dont worry I know they will never actually fix this rule. Just a pet peeve of mine.
I plan on doing a lot of head shaking this year. :D (yelling & screaming when on my team)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely agree in the bolded.

was watching Redzone & most I saw the bolded wasnt happening.
Didnt see any PI on my team for the record. I just hate seeing a shall we say a very questionable PI give a team 50 yards & the win.
Then watch offensive players literally push off to get separation & it be called all good LOL

I am obviously on the side. If it didnt affect the play. It shouldnt be called. (especially considering the severity of the rule) Which is I believe the way the rule was intended from the beginning.
But then we started micro-judging the contacts.
Also while on the subject. Both players have the right to the ball. So if a defender is going for the ball & they make contact also shouldnt be a PI. As long as it it isnt through the back of the player or something obvious like that. Seen a safety running up for the ball & a WR run into the defender who is trying to int. & it gets called on the Defender.
Also on the cheap side of PI's
When a receiver stops in front of a running defender & forces contact & gets a cheap PI (like on under thrown balls) technically the offensive player ran into the defender.

& dont worry I know they will never actually fix this rule. Just a pet peeve of mine.
I plan on doing a lot of head shaking this year. :D (yelling & screaming when on my team)

Did you watch the Saints game? The opposite was happening and a fight and suspension came from it. Certain defenders get the benefit of the doubt by reputation.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the Saints game? The opposite was happening and a fight and suspension came from it. Certain defenders get the benefit of the doubt by reputation.
Are you comparing something that happened after a play to a PI? :scratch:

but no I didnt watch any full game. Was watching redzone.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you comparing something that happened after a play to a PI? :scratch:

but no I didnt watch any full game. Was watching redzone.

No, the uncalled PIs ratcheted up the frustration that boiled over (along with Lattimore's shit-talking). He often contacts and obstructs the receivers throughout the route.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the uncalled PIs ratcheted up the frustration that boiled over (along with Lattimore's shit-talking). He often contacts and obstructs the receivers throughout the route.
which kinda goes to my point.
the inconsistency at which refs call PI's

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lattimore is smart. He is a master at flopping and getting the refs to throw a flag on the receiver for OPI.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to stop bailing out offenses on poorly thrown balls

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No contact rule sucks, hurts football, unless you love offense and touchdowns all the dam time … I get the safety part with the hits, but the no contact is ridiculous, DB’s almost have to put feelers out to hang with cutting receivers, as long as they don’t grab, don’t call it !

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with penalties, is the refs are too inconsistent.

It's really hard to be inconsistent. The action is happening too fast. I think that a challenge system needs to come back. These PI calls can have a huge effect on the outcome of a game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No contact rule sucks, hurts football, unless you love offense and touchdowns all the dam time … I get the safety part with the hits, but the no contact is ridiculous, DB’s almost have to put feelers out to hang with cutting receivers, as long as they don’t grab, don’t call it !

Yeah, some contact is allowed. It's a judgment call, and I prefer that that refs err on the side of not calling PI.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those long PI calls where ball is placed at spot of foul are ridiculous. They should cap max penalty at 15 yds IMO.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a defender grabs a jersey of a wide receiver it does two things.

1. It alters the running path (Route) of the WR
2. It slows the forward motion of the WR

When a defender grabs a jersey of a wide receiver it immediately tells two things.

1. The defender is not as fast as the WR
2. The defender doesn't know HOW to defend speed

Grabbing a jersey is no less a violation than wrapping an arm around a WR and spinning him off his route or tackling him before the ball arrives. If the game is too fast for some of these 50 and 60 year old officials, then they shouldn't be officials any longer.

How many 50 or 60 year old players are there in the NFL??

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard to be inconsistent. The action is happening too fast. I think that a challenge system needs to come back. These PI calls can have a huge effect on the outcome of a game.

LMAO. I meant to write that it is really hard to be consistent.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those long PI calls where ball is placed at spot of foul are ridiculous. They should cap max penalty at 15 yds IMO.

That would be unfair, though. If a pass play would've resulted in a 50 yard completion, then awarding only 15 yards is actually a penalty to the offense. It's like the 5 yard holding penalty. If the defense takes that 5 yard penalty to prevent a TD, it's really a win for the defense and a de facto penalty to the offense.

When a call is proper, it isn't even really a penalty to the defense. The offense is simply getting the ball at the spot where they would've been anyway, and this is even discounting any run after the catch.

My main issue with the pass interference rule is that the refs often get it wrong and they wind up gifting 30 or more yards to the offense on a play that was good defense. A team should be allowed to challenge those calls because those plays can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be unfair, though. If a pass play would've resulted in a 50 yard completion, then awarding only 15 yards is actually a penalty to the offense.

When a call is proper, it isn't even really a penalty to the defense. The offense is simply getting the ball at the spot where they would've been anyway, and this is even discounting any run after the catch.

My main issue with the pass interference rule is that the refs often get it wrong and they wind up gifting 30 or more yards to the offense on a play that was good defense. A team should be allowed to challenge these calls because those plays can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.
Agree as long as the penalty is obvious and blatant, like tackling or hitting the receiver before ball gets there. But, many times the call is iffy at best and teams get 50 yards on a pass the QB just chucked up there hoping for the penalty.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree as long as the penalty is obvious and blatant, like tackling or hitting the receiver before ball gets there. But, many times the call is iffy at best and teams get 50 yards on a pass the QB just chucked up there hoping for the penalty.

Yeah, those plays are so infuriating. They're so unfair.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team should be allowed to challenge those calls
the problem is we tried that.
The Establishment was having none of that.
Refused to look at a challenge honestly. Simply wouldnt overturn any calls.