• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers sign Jonathan Stewart to 5-year extension worth 36.5M with 22.5M guaranteed

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
according to Adam Caplan. They signed DeAngelo Williams long term last year to a 5-year, 43M dollar deal. Williams' deal contained 21M guaranteed and a 16M signing bonus. The most interesting information is that Williams has no guarantees owed to him after this year, which could make him a very interesting target next year if they outright cut him rather than restructure.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how they can't do something different next year. That's WAY too much money in their backfield if they keep things "as is."

Note: I'll admit I'm making a snap judgement, but right off the bat, I feel like they have a lot invested in Williams, Stewart and Tolbert.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see how they can't do something different next year. That's WAY too much money in their backfield if they keep things "as is."

Note: I'll admit I'm making a snap judgement, but right off the bat, I feel like they have a lot invested in Williams, Stewart and Tolbert.

They do, but the one thing that allows them to possibly get away with it is the rookie restrictions in the new CBA.

Newton's contract is much smaller than it would have been had he been drafted first overall under the old CBA, and he is not allowed to re-negotiate until he's played three years. Carolina doesn't have to worry about a contract issue with Cam until 2014, at which point they can easily get out of the DW contract.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do, but the one thing that allows them to possibly get away with it is the rookie restrictions in the new CBA.

Newton's contract is much smaller than it would have been had he been drafted first overall under the old CBA, and he is not allowed to re-negotiate until he's played three years. Carolina doesn't have to worry about a contract issue with Cam until 2014, at which point they can easily get out of the DW contract.

That crossed my mind as well, but they really have a dearth of talent at receiver and TE (Steve Smith not included) and needs on D, too.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to Adam Caplan. They signed DeAngelo Williams long term last year to a 5-year, 43M dollar deal. Williams' deal contained 21M guaranteed and a 16M signing bonus. The most interesting information is that Williams has no guarantees owed to him after this year, which could make him a very interesting target next year if they outright cut him rather than restructure.

I would expect that to happen. I don't think it's a very wise move to have 2 RB's that are both paid that much.