• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres lock up Tatis

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WOW. Didn't even wait for him to hit his arbitration years. Glad to see they've avoided the Lindor/Betts disasters. I think this is great for baseball and I'm genuinely excited for San Diego fans and Tatis. Nice to see they're showing the fans they're committed to building a WS contender. Best of luck SD fans!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WOW. Didn't even wait for him to hit his arbitration years. Glad to see they've avoided the Lindor/Betts disasters. I think this is great for baseball and I'm genuinely excited for San Diego fans and Tatis. Nice to see they're showing the fans they're committed to building a WS contender. Best of luck SD fans!

It's a big risk for the Padres. But I get why they would do it. Tatis agreeing to it is a little surprising, but I can kind of see why he did it.

For the Padres, they've historically had problems keeping their best players, so I get them locking up a guy who looks like he might be the most talented player they've ever had. But if he suffers a serious injury that diminishes him...they're stuck with that deal.

For Tatis, if he gets hurt, he's covered. But, 14 years is a long time. If he decides he wants out, it could be tough to move that contract.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what the going rate for a SS will be in 5 or 10 years? The Padres likely have insurance to cover the contract in case of injury. They really have little to lose, as the AAV is not really too high for this guy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big risk for the Padres. But I get why they would do it. Tatis agreeing to it is a little surprising, but I can kind of see why he did it.

For the Padres, they've historically had problems keeping their best players, so I get them locking up a guy who looks like he might be the most talented player they've ever had. But if he suffers a serious injury that diminishes him...they're stuck with that deal.

For Tatis, if he gets hurt, he's covered. But, 14 years is a long time. If he decides he wants out, it could be tough to move that contract.
I am guessing the contract won’t be as hard to move for the Padres as long as Tatis he continues to play well. ARod’s contract was more ungodly than Tatis was (granted the Rangers were bankrupt at the time of the trade) and the MLBPA was the hurdle.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing the contract won’t be as hard to move for the Padres as long as Tatis he continues to play well. ARod’s contract was more ungodly than Tatis was (granted the Rangers were bankrupt at the time of the trade) and the MLBPA was the hurdle.

Yeah, when I say "tough to move", I mean there won't be a lot of teams that will be able to afford to take on that contract. That limits potential trade partners.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when I say "tough to move", I mean there won't be a lot of teams that will be able to afford to take on that contract. That limits potential trade partners.
It limits potential trade partners only if the Padres won’t pay huge chunk of the remaining salary or do a 3 way deal where Tatis could have three teams paying on his contract as. I don’t think it will be anywhere as tough as the ARod deal which could only possibly have two suitors at the time and the MLBPA forced it to where only the Yankees could get him. And the MLBPA is going savage own this owners this fall and possibly the PA may finally allow team X to trade for him but extend the contract out or shift money around.