• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers to hire Titans OC Matt Lafleur

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:

Not feeling it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be a good hire.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he would have waited one more year in LA with McVay he would be the hottest name out there. I don’t thunk he was a good fit in Tennessee so I am not judging it yet. However I’m very happy we are retaining Pettine.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he would have waited one more year in LA with McVay he would be the hottest name out there. I don’t thunk he was a good fit in Tennessee so I am not judging it yet. However I’m very happy we are retaining Pettine.

What gives you hope about Pettine? The defense gave up an average of 25 points a game. The run defense wasn’t good and they still had trouble getting off the field on 3rd down. Do you think it’s just personnel? If they upgrade at a few positions specially at linebacker, do you think the defense improves?

Reactions: GNG

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gives you hope about Pettine? The defense gave up an average of 25 points a game. The run defense wasn’t good and they still had trouble getting off the field on 3rd down. Do you think it’s just personnel? If they upgrade at a few positions specially at linebacker, do you think the defense improves?
Run defense didn’t really go downhill until Daniels injury. Pettine’s defense manufactured sacks so the scheme worked without elite players on the edge.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaFleur should hire his own staff and not have to settle for leftovers from last year's team.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run defense didn’t really go downhill until Daniels injury. Pettine’s defense manufactured sacks so the scheme worked without elite players on the edge.

Yea, the injuries didn’t help. If they keep the same personnel I won’t be surprised to see the same results.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run defense didn’t really go downhill until Daniels injury.

I overlooked this and I find it extremely disturbing. I think Daniels injury was a major indicator of the lack of playmakers on this defense.

Also heard that the new HC may keep the entire defensive staff. I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the injuries didn’t help. If they keep the same personnel I won’t be surprised to see the same results.
I think King and Alexander could both be pro-bowl-caliber players if they stay healthy. I see Josh Jackson as a good #3 slot guy who can play the outside too (he struggled in zones in his rookie year; learning curve). All three guys are good in press man coverage. If you can man up on receivers with success, that allows you to get creative with your front 7 and safeties. Pettine likes to play press man and I think he's got the right starting tools to make it work.

DL - Daniels and Clark are keepers. Lowry seems serviceable. Could use another force up front for rotation and depth.

LB - Martinez is one of the best ILB in the league. Need 2 OLB and 1 ILB that is really good in coverage.

S - There are no starting safeties on this roster. Gotta draft one or two but I'd also like to see Gutenkunst win a top free agent - i.e. Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu are unrestricted free agents.

Really, I think the defense is in a better place regarding personnel than the offense is. We have 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 T, 1 C. Only 5 of 11 starting positions are quality. Maybe 1 TE if we get a play caller who utilizes Graham properly.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire. I didn't want McDaniels at all.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense was ravaged by injury most of the year. Our top 3 linemen finished on IR as well as a top ILB and one of our best cb. numerous other players missed multiple games. Of course your defense will struggle when that happens. I'm fine retaining Pettine. The HC seems like a smart guy but time will tell

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think King and Alexander could both be pro-bowl-caliber players if they stay healthy. I see Josh Jackson as a good #3 slot guy who can play the outside too (he struggled in zones in his rookie year; learning curve). All three guys are good in press man coverage. If you can man up on receivers with success, that allows you to get creative with your front 7 and safeties. Pettine likes to play press man and I think he's got the right starting tools to make it work.

DL - Daniels and Clark are keepers. Lowry seems serviceable. Could use another force up front for rotation and depth.

LB - Martinez is one of the best ILB in the league. Need 2 OLB and 1 ILB that is really good in coverage.

S - There are no starting safeties on this roster. Gotta draft one or two but I'd also like to see Gutenkunst win a top free agent - i.e. Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu are unrestricted free agents.

Really, I think the defense is in a better place regarding personnel than the offense is. We have 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 T, 1 C. Only 5 of 11 starting positions are quality. Maybe 1 TE if we get a play caller who utilizes Graham properly.

I agree with most of this. Daniels and Clark are keepers. They need someone who can disrupt an offense all game long.

I like Martinez but I don't know how well he is in coverage. Again, they need at least one playmaker at the LB position.

For this defense to be affective, 4 rushers need to get pressure on the QB.

Alexander is what the secondary needs. King....if he gets hurt next year...although I like his potential, they may have to cut ties just based on his inability to stay healthy enough to stay on the field.

The safety position is an issue in the secondary which I would like to see filled by FA if there is one worth going after. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas in a GB uniform.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense was ravaged by injury most of the year. Our top 3 linemen finished on IR as well as a top ILB and one of our best cb. numerous other players missed multiple games. Of course your defense will struggle when that happens. I'm fine retaining Pettine. The HC seems like a smart guy but time will tell

And that brings up another question. I know it’s a rough sport and all, and every team has injuries, but it always seems excessive with GB every year and not to just special team players, oh no, it’s always the starters. Even in 2010 injuries were rampant and I thought for sure they were going to be one and done. So, is it just the type of players GB drafts? Or conditioning? Green Bay water? Whatever it is, it has to be minimized in some shape or form or we will be talking about this every f’ing year. I think I would go into f’ing shock if this team made it thru a season fairly healthy.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this. Daniels and Clark are keepers. They need someone who can disrupt an offense all game long.

I like Martinez but I don't know how well he is in coverage. Again, they need at least one playmaker at the LB position.

For this defense to be affective, 4 rushers need to get pressure on the QB.

Alexander is what the secondary needs. King....if he gets hurt next year...although I like his potential, they may have to cut ties just based on his inability to stay healthy enough to stay on the field.

The safety position is an issue in the secondary which I would like to see filled by FA if there is one worth going after. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas in a GB uniform.

Not that PFF is the end all be all but I have no idea where you came up with that claim...

upload_2019-1-9_8-10-34.png

Also while I agree that the best ability is availability but ZERO chance we cut King while on a rookie contract. He has flashed several times but just needs to stay healthy. We did this same shit with Casey Hayward and people couldn't run him out of town faster.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that PFF is the end all be all but I have no idea where you came up with that claim...

View attachment 195294

Also while I agree that the best ability is availability but ZERO chance we cut King while on a rookie contract. He has flashed several times but just needs to stay healthy. We did this same shit with Casey Hayward and people couldn't run him out of town faster.

Really wasn't a claim at all. Just said I don't know how well he is in coverage because I haven't paid attention to him specifically. GB still needs a playmaker at the LB position.

I didn't understand GB getting rid of Hayward. I thought he did well when he played. I hope King can avoid the injury bug next year so we can see if he will live up to his potential.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really wasn't a claim at all. Just said I don't know how well he is in coverage because I haven't paid attention to him specifically. GB still needs a playmaker at the LB position.

I didn't understand GB getting rid of Hayward. I thought he did well when he played. I hope King can avoid the injury bug next year so we can see if he will live up to his potential.
Devin White would be awesome he is a great ILB. However we need help at OLB much more than ILB.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin White would be awesome he is a great ILB. However we need help at OLB much more than ILB.

Do you think this should be the first pick in the draft if one is available or address another need first like safety, OL etc...?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have many pressing needs so I won’t pigeonhole myself into a player or position yet. However I think we could take any number of positions with the first pick. Second first is a bonus pick so maybe WR or TE

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have many pressing needs so I won’t pigeonhole myself into a player or position yet. However I think we could take any number of positions with the first pick. Second first is a bonus pick so maybe WR or TE

Understandable. This team does have many holes. When their on the clock I think they could go on offense or defense. Depending on who goes off the board before them will dictate which side of the ball they choose.