• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 seems like an afterthought

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which sucks because it’s a great conference with a ton of great tradition and great teams over the years. It’s also very entertaining since they’ve always been more innovative in their offense (sans Stanford).

But I listen to a lot of college football sports radio (mainly ESPNU Radio) and ESPN just hammers the hell out of SEC talk, followed by ACC, then B1G, B12 followed by some MACtion, then they’ll get to PAC.

I do realize their late start this year has much to do with this. But this goes back a few years now I’ve noticed. You just don’t hear much or see much attention from an east coast/Midwest perspective? It’s just so SEC heavy 51% of the time, followed by 39% other P5, then PAC getting the last 10% of coverage.

East coast bias? Or just bad product on the field? Or Larry Scott not selling it on TV?

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree. I have only been watching and being a diehard fan of college football since 1998. PAC 12 with late games, not as much of a CFP presence, and whatever else. I feel ESPN covers the SEC first and B1G coming in second. Outside of Southern Cal's dominance in the early to mid 2000's and Oregon's national title game or two, the PAC 12 hasn't brought to the media what Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, etc. has. The "news" that the ACC has brought to the table isn't as much as what Clemson has brought to the table. Up until this season, the ACC is all Clemson. This season with Covid and Clemson losing to ND, the ACC talk has changed some.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add that their game did not, in recent year bring the attenance, even in their own stadiums, as other conferences and are on the bottom of the list of conferences in bringing in money. For example, UCLA and USC have had trouble with attendance in recent years.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure when it all changed but when I was young kid then teen in the 80's and 90's in TX.. There was always a PAC games going on.. From UCLA, SC, UW and ASU, that were aired every weekend and seemed like a pretty big deal.

When SC had it's Carroll era, it was talked about a lot as well.. but since then.. There was Oregon but for whatever reasons it seemed that the media wrote them off the same way Leach had been written off at Tech for years til he had his shiny season in 2008.

I don't buy the narrative of the time difference being the reason why they aren't getting the attention like the other conferences. To me, they just need a program to emerge from the rest and put whippings on during the conference schedule... and is it too much to ask for them to actually win a big OOC game at the beginning of the season?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which sucks because it’s a great conference with a ton of great tradition and great teams over the years. It’s also very entertaining since they’ve always been more innovative in their offense (sans Stanford).

But I listen to a lot of college football sports radio (mainly ESPNU Radio) and ESPN just hammers the hell out of SEC talk, followed by ACC, then B1G, B12 followed by some MACtion, then they’ll get to PAC.

I do realize their late start this year has much to do with this. But this goes back a few years now I’ve noticed. You just don’t hear much or see much attention from an east coast/Midwest perspective? It’s just so SEC heavy 51% of the time, followed by 39% other P5, then PAC getting the last 10% of coverage.

East coast bias? Or just bad product on the field? Or Larry Scott not selling it on TV?
So you are saying that the perception of the PAC12, this season has remained the same as all the other seasons

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying that the perception of the PAC12, this season has remained the same as all the other seasons
Ya obviously the PAC has some work to do on the field and some branding, marketing and PR to do. But it starts on the field!!!! Even FSU would probably do as well as 7th to 9th in the PAC

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya obviously the PAC has some work to do on the field and some branding, marketing and PR to do. But it starts on the field!!!! Even FSU would probably do as well as 7th to 9th in the PAC

We'd do better than that. Even this year. Our 9-2 overall record vs PAC12 teams tells me that.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year it is easy ... Most of the Nation has played 5-6 games, the PAC12 has played 1. If you are not playing ... you are not in the game ... and no one is watching... Traditional Rivalry games like the Red River Shootout or Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party are in the books for most of College Football ... While the PAC teams have played 1 game.

Washington is the only PAC team with total revenue in the top 15 in the Nation... oddly with Oregon about $12 millions behind then Utah (of all teams) is in 3rd place in total revenue in the PAC ... I do think you can safely say a lot of PAC School are not holding their fans interest nor are they attracting the recreational $$$.

Oregon is getting a lot of love right now being ranked around the 11 spot... but the truth is their body of work so far is beating Stanford... I'm really not thinking that should entitle you to the #11 slot (right now)...

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd do better than that. Even this year. Our 9-2 overall record vs PAC12 teams tells me that.
Lulz, no. .500 this year at best. Your program is on a squeaky wobbling wheel at the moment.

That’s disingenuous. There’s always been east coast bias in coverage but there’s usually good football to follow in the PAC. The early and mid 2000’s we saw strong USC, Stanford and Oregon football going at it for conference supremacy and natty implications.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Florida State to be competitive again. However, losing by a bunch to Louisville, almost allowing a comeback against UNC, not being in the game against Jacksonville State until late, I feel the Noles would have quite a lot of trouble going 0.500 in the PAC 12.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz, no. .500 this year at best. Your program is on a squeaky wobbling wheel at the moment.

That’s disingenuous. There’s always been east coast bias in coverage but there’s usually good football to follow in the PAC. The early and mid 2000’s we saw strong USC, Stanford and Oregon football going at it for conference supremacy and natty implications.
Pretty sure a Nole fan can recall Oregon for Natty implications. Still today biggest blowout in CFP Playoffs.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years ago was that? Are the same players still playing? Same coaches?

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think alot of it is the times games are played here in the west. 8 pm games here are 10 or 11 on the east coast so there are not alot of people that will stay up and watch them, so they don't become fans. SEC games all seem to be earlier and every fan in the country, including west coast fans, can watch at decent times.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I didn't look this up, but how many PAC 12 championship games had a major impact on the CFP?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC has to get going and establish a championship team. One loss won't do it this year. Oregon appears the team to do it, but let's how they fare against Stanford today.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure when it all changed but when I was young kid then teen in the 80's and 90's in TX.. There was always a PAC games going on.. From UCLA, SC, UW and ASU, that were aired every weekend and seemed like a pretty big deal.

When SC had it's Carroll era, it was talked about a lot as well.. but since then.. There was Oregon but for whatever reasons it seemed that the media wrote them off the same way Leach had been written off at Tech for years til he had his shiny season in 2008.

I don't buy the narrative of the time difference being the reason why they aren't getting the attention like the other conferences. To me, they just need a program to emerge from the rest and put whippings on during the conference schedule... and is it too much to ask for them to actually win a big OOC game at the beginning of the season?
In a way, the time difference does have a big reason why the Pac 12 is where it is at. But that also has to do with national television. You can pin point it to when SC went on probation. Prior to then rarely did a California recruit ever leave the Pac 12 as well as the Hawaiian and all the Samoan kids rarely left the Pac 12 and generally those recruits were big on the offensive and defensive lines. Winning a big OOC is an issue but outside of SC getting waxed by Alabama it isn’t like the Pac 12 is getting killed, it is just a few breaks here or there. Shit, our worst team in a decade nearly beat the national runner up in Auburn.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure a Nole fan can recall Oregon for Natty implications. Still today biggest blowout in CFP Playoffs.
tenor.gif