• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC-12 officiating Oregon/Stanford game

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their complain is about the TD reversal. 99.9% of the time thats a TD. They actually ruled Loves run as a TD on an identical play. Without the reversal the fumble return for a TD never happens.

There are two things we can say are certain here. PAC refs have always sucked its nothing new. But you don't fight for extra yardage when running the clock out. Either protect the ball and go down or take a knee. The call sucked but in the end the loss is on Oregon
:nono:
The pylon is OB.

I'll repeat that again.

THE PYLON IS OUT OF BOUNDS.

If that's the point his foot hit coming into/across the end zone THEN HE WAS OUT OF BOUNDS.

They asked their rules expert and he agreed that was correct. It has been talked about later and agreed that it was the correct call.

So no, there hasn't been other examples of a foot ONLY hitting the pylon past the EZ and calling it a TD.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono:
The pylon is OB.

I'll repeat that again.

THE PYLON IS OUT OF BOUNDS.

If that's the point his foot hit coming into/across the end zone THEN HE WAS OUT OF BOUNDS.

They asked their rules expert and he agreed that was correct. It has been talked about later and agreed that it was the correct call.

So no, there hasn't been other examples of a foot ONLY hitting the pylon past the EZ and calling it a TD.
Replay requires indisputable video evidence.....It was ruled a TD on the field. Love alls hit the Pylon on his TD run...Ive seen far more conclusive plays not overturned.Was this a safety?

Screen_Shot_2018_09_15_at_7.11.20_PM.png

As I said I can see why Oregon fans would be upset with the officiating. Instant replay etc we all know PAC refs are just plain bad. But they lost the game because their RB got greedy. And decided to fight for extra yards. Rather then go down and ice the clock.....The Ducks Trees game could have very easily gone either way.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs huh

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also probably one of the least followed senseless rules in college football. The Pylon is in bounds in the NFL. The Oregon WR's foot never actually goes out of bounds. If you watch the play his foot plants in bounds in the end zone. Tbh Im not sure we could count the amount of times this type of play. Or a WR making a catch for a TD. Brushes the pylon with a foot.Their would be a lot of TD's coming off the board or ineligible recievers if that's the case.......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replay requires indisputable video evidence.....It was ruled a TD on the field. Love alls hit the Pylon on his TD run...Ive seen far more conclusive plays not overturned.Was this a safety?

Screen_Shot_2018_09_15_at_7.11.20_PM.png

As I said I can see why Oregon fans would be upset with the officiating. Instant replay etc we all know PAC refs are just plain bad. But they lost the game because their RB got greedy. And decided to fight for extra yards. Rather then go down and ice the clock.....The Ducks Trees game could have very easily gone either way.
That play just isn't disputable. It isn't. It was so freaking clear. I get it being frustrating as a fan, but he was OB and that cannot be debated. That's why the pylon is there. It removes debate over issues at the corner. It is OB, and his foot hit it directly. Therefor he went OB and never actually went into the end zone.

The refs were crap in our game as well. It's what Pac12 refs do.

However their blaming that loss on the refs is simply lame. So that wasn't a TD, but who do you blame for hiking the ball up over Herberts head leading to a 99y return? That's on the team. Who do you blame for their late game turnover? The HC for letting them run a live play instead of taking a knee. Herbert was brilliant, until he wasn't, when it counted.

They choked that game away and had all sorts of places to look at why that happened. The refs were not the story here.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That play just isn't disputable. It isn't. It was so freaking clear. I get it being frustrating as a fan, but he was OB and that cannot be debated. That's why the pylon is there. It removes debate over issues at the corner. It is OB, and his foot hit it directly. Therefor he went OB and never actually went into the end zone.

The refs were crap in our game as well. It's what Pac12 refs do.

However their blaming that loss on the refs is simply lame. So that wasn't a TD, but who do you blame for hiking the ball up over Herberts head leading to a 99y return? That's on the team. Who do you blame for their late game turnover? The HC for letting them run a live play instead of taking a knee. Herbert was brilliant, until he wasn't, when it counted.

They choked that game away and had all sorts of places to look at why that happened. The refs were not the story here.
The safety was clear on several angles...Instant replay is inconsistent by nature. The pylon rule is asinine read above post. It did effect the game but as I said Oregon lost this game by failing to protect the ball and icing it

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safety was clear on several angles...Instant replay is inconsistent by nature. The pylon rule is asinine read above post. It did effect the game but as I said Oregon lost this game by failing to protect the ball and icing it
The safety has nothing to do with this game. In any way. It doesn't correlate anymore than the other play you attempted to bring in. It simply doesn't.

Pylon is OB. Player hits pylon FIRST. Player is OB crossing the end zone. It is cut and dry and not debatable. It was by rule the correct call and only bitter duck fans and sympathizers think otherwise.

They wanted PI's and holding in the OT instead of just blaming their team for not performing when the game was on the line.

They lost that game on their own. Point blank, that is THE correct answer.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safety has nothing to do with this game. In any way. It doesn't correlate anymore than the other play you attempted to bring in. It simply doesn't.

Pylon is OB. Player hits pylon FIRST. Player is OB crossing the end zone. It is cut and dry and not debatable. It was by rule the correct call and only bitter duck fans and sympathizers think otherwise.

They wanted PI's and holding in the OT instead of just blaming their team for not performing when the game was on the line.

They lost that game on their own. Point blank, that is THE correct answer.
The safety just shows instant replay is inconsistent.

PI calls will always be inconsistent with PAC refs. Bad calls happen we're all used to them

As for the pylon. You're talking about an extension that stands 18 inches tall. Theres a reason you don't see this called often. And why its considered inbounds in the NFL. One of few rules they have correct. If a player is running down the sideline and their foot hovers 12 inches over the ground. Yet never touches the white paint upon contact. Is he out of bounds?

By ruling the pylon as out of bounds you are making it an obstruction rather than a tool. Without the reversal when the players foot never actually went out of bounds (It never made contact with the ground other than end zone). There is no botched snap or fumble etc....And Oregon has a massive lead.

While I agree the ducks lost the game by not protecting the ball and running the clock out. I can't buy the pylon reversal. I would say the pylons brushed multiple times a game. And I think you would agree if a players leg was hovering the sidelines and never touched white paint he's in bounds....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safety just shows instant replay is inconsistent.

PI calls will always be inconsistent with PAC refs. Bad calls happen we're all used to them

As for the pylon. You're talking about an extension that stands 18 inches tall. Theres a reason you don't see this called often. And why its considered inbounds in the NFL. One of few rules they have correct. If a player is running down the sideline and their foot hovers 12 inches over the ground. Yet never touches the white paint upon contact. Is he out of bounds?

By ruling the pylon as out of bounds you are making it an obstruction rather than a tool. Without the reversal when the players foot never actually went out of bounds (It never made contact with the ground other than end zone). There is no botched snap or fumble etc....And Oregon has a massive lead.

While I agree the ducks lost the game by not protecting the ball and running the clock out. I can't buy the pylon reversal. I would say the pylons brushed multiple times a game. And I think you would agree if a players leg was hovering the sidelines and never touched white paint he's in bounds....
More distraction.

You can question whether the rule should be this way or not, however you cannot question that his foot first made contact with that pylon and that the location where it stands is out of bounds. It simply isn't in contention in any way.

He was clearly out of bounds. Fact.

It wouldn't be mentioned AT ALL had they turned around and punched it in. It is ONLY being talked about because they fucked up BAD and fumbled the ball and gave up a free 6 points. They bring it up to mask that grotesque result after having the ball 1st and goal inside the 1. Instead of putting the blame on botched execution, oh it MUST be the refs fault! It's lame.

You can legitimately question whether some plays had enough contact downfield to be holding or PI. Those are judgement calls so there's always room to bitch.

However, according to OD they should have called forward progress and not called the fumble and a handful of other just derp crying bullshit excuse making instead of just admitting his coach and players let the team down.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More distraction.

You can question whether the rule should be this way or not, however you cannot question that his foot first made contact with that pylon and that the location where it stands is out of bounds. It simply isn't in contention in any way.

He was clearly out of bounds. Fact.

It wouldn't be mentioned AT ALL had they turned around and punched it in. It is ONLY being talked about because they fucked up BAD and fumbled the ball and gave up a free 6 points. They bring it up to mask that grotesque result after having the ball 1st and goal inside the 1. Instead of putting the blame on botched execution, oh it MUST be the refs fault! It's lame.

You can legitimately question whether some plays had enough contact downfield to be holding or PI. Those are judgement calls so there's always room to bitch.

However, according to OD they should have called forward progress and not called the fumble and a handful of other just derp crying bullshit excuse making instead of just admitting his coach and players let the team down.
I'm going to disagree and this is where @OregonDucks has a legit complaint. On any other play a player that is elevated. Is not ruled out of bounds until a portion of his body touches the white paint. Its not like he stepped on the pylon. His foot is elevated and grazes the pylon. While still elevated and plants in the field of play.

I'm not saying its not the way the rule is written. But the rule is flawed. By that standard a player going up to make a sideline catch with his body out of bounds. That manages to get a foot back in play and in bounds. Would be out of bounds. The Pylon is elevated 18 inches from the paint. Ticky tack call we don't see for good reason. When you know players most likely graze the pylons a good 10 times a game easy. Not surprised a PAC ref called it....But lets not pretend his foot wasn't elevated and he hit the white paint. This is something that needs to be corrected plain and simple.......WR doesn't touch the ground out of bounds

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to disagree and this is where @OregonDucks has a legit complaint. On any other play a player that is elevated. Is not ruled out of bounds until a portion of his body touches the white paint. Its not like he stepped on the pylon. His foot is elevated and grazes the pylon. While still elevated and plants in the field of play.

I'm not saying its not the way the rule is written. But the rule is flawed. By that standard a player going up to make a sideline catch with his body out of bounds. That manages to get a foot back in play and in bounds. Would be out of bounds. The Pylon is elevated 18 inches from the paint. Ticky tack call we don't see for good reason. When you know players most likely graze the pylons a good 10 times a game easy. Not surprised a PAC ref called it....But lets not pretend his foot wasn't elevated and he hit the white paint. This is something that needs to be corrected plain and simple.......WR doesn't touch the ground out of bounds

:L
The pylon is out of bounds. How many fucking times do you need to be told? :L

IT'S OUT OF BOUNDS.

Graze, clip, doesn't matter. If you make ANY contact AT ALL with OB, you are in FACT OB. If a toenail grazes the white line anywhere, you are OB. That's football 101. The exact location of the pylon is OB at the point where the end zone is. That's why it is there! If you make contact with it, you are OB. If you cross the line without making contact you aren't. It just doesn't get any more simple in football than that.

You can incorrectly disagree all you like, but it changes nothing.

OB player is OB.

Fans bitching are doing so entirely because the ducks shit the bed after that play. Run it in from the half yard line and this isn't a conversation.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pylon is out of bounds. How many fucking times do you need to be told? :L

IT'S OUT OF BOUNDS.

Graze, clip, doesn't matter. If you make ANY contact AT ALL with OB, you are in FACT OB. If a toenail grazes the white line anywhere, you are OB. That's football 101. The exact location of the pylon is OB at the point where the end zone is. That's why it is there! If you make contact with it, you are OB. If you cross the line without making contact you aren't. It just doesn't get any more simple in football than that.

You can incorrectly disagree all you like, but it changes nothing.

OB player is OB.

Fans bitching are doing so entirely because the ducks shit the bed after that play. Run it in from the half yard line and this isn't a conversation.
Right…..Theres 4 parts of every college football field. Where out of bounds is 18 inches higher. And different rules apply to the rest of the field.Seems legit…….

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right…..Theres 4 parts of every college football field. Where out of bounds is 18 inches higher. And different rules apply to the rest of the field.Seems legit…….
:wtf: No, OB is OB. The ENTIRE pylon sits out of bounds at the goal line. If a runner dives for the end zone while going toward that endline and the ball itself goes inside that pylon before any part of his body touches the ground it's a TD. This happens all the time.

Watch your video again as the glaring answer sits right there.

Where is he holding the ball? In his OUTSIDE HAND/ARM, AWAY FROM THE END ZONE.
When his foot hits that pylon, where is the ball? It's so plain as day clear. The ball is at least a half yard away from the end zone when his foot makes contact with the out of bounds marker.

The height doesn't change anything at all. In any way shape or form. You once again turn something so simple (rare in football to have clarity this well defined) into something stupid because you have this weird need to defend all things duck. I swear you are more of a duck fan than you are a USC fan as often as you white knight OD.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: No, OB is OB. The ENTIRE pylon sits out of bounds at the goal line. If a runner dives for the end zone while going toward that endline and the ball itself goes inside that pylon before any part of his body touches the ground it's a TD. This happens all the time.

Watch your video again as the glaring answer sits right there.

Where is he holding the ball? In his OUTSIDE HAND/ARM, AWAY FROM THE END ZONE.
When his foot hits that pylon, where is the ball? It's so plain as day clear. The ball is at least a half yard away from the end zone when his foot makes contact with the out of bounds marker.

The height doesn't change anything at all. In any way shape or form. You once again turn something so simple (rare in football to have clarity this well defined) into something stupid because you have this weird need to defend all things duck. I swear you are more of a duck fan than you are a USC fan as often as you white knight OD.
The Qbs knee was 12 inches from the ground he must be down.....If you want to pretend the pylon is at the same level as the ground.Whatever makes you feel better I guess.......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Qbs knee was 12 inches from the ground he must be down.....If you want to pretend the pylon is at the same level as the ground.Whatever makes you feel better I guess.......
i
t
s
o
u
t
o
f
b
o
u
n
d
s

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i
t
s
o
u
t
o
f
b
o
u
n
d
s
And a wr thats foot is elevated 18 inches over the sideline is out of bounds regardless of whether his foot comes down in play........Well according to your logic

You have nothing to worry about. Washington will roll over Oregon. Game won't even be close

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking with other Duck fans today, it was a well agreed upon answer that the officiating for the Oregon/Stanford game was awful. There were more than one time where the officials blew a call or didn't call something they should have. Also, they didn't review plays that should have been reviewed.

What a shame.

It was a hard fought game by the Ducks, that Oregon dominated the offensive and defensive lines. Ducks completely controlled the game at the line of scrimmage. Ducks defense held Love to less than 100 yards rushing. Yet in a game so dominated by Oregon the officials seemed to keep the Cardinal in the game and ultimately became Oregon's greatest opponent in this game.
Your coach lost a game that he won because he's an idiot. 2nd and 2 with 52 seconds left. This is how any logical person plays that game out:

-Takes knee on 2nd down, Stanford time out. Clock down to about 48 seconds.
-Takes knee on 3rd down, burns 40 seconds off clock and calls timeout
-4th and 2 with 8 seconds left. You could choose to run a play up the middle, punt and or just run backwards for 8 seconds. All options leave Stanford with basically no time left and/or the game is won with a first down. Even if the fumble happens on the run (like it did) Stanford has no time to do anything and no T/O.

Your coach is stupid. You lost because you have a bad coach who should be fired for that decision. How can you be making millions and not know something as basic as this. If you dedicate your life to coaching football and don't know how this plays out, then you should be fired. Period.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there were a few different things you coulda done to end that game. Oregon just went with the dumbest possible one.

Well shit, of course they did. If we know nothing else about Oregon, we know they are going all in on anything they do. Even if it's doing something dumb.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree. I've watched many a PAC12 game and while Big12 officiating can be head gear level retarded, the PAC officials take the prize imo. Terrible at their jobs.

I'd say that watching PAC-12 refs is like watching The Three Stooges officiate a game.

But the Stooges would do a better job.