• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pac 12 basketball

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to interrupt the ASU/AZ sniping. :lol:

But I thought USC played pretty well vs. Stanford last night. In the end, inexperience got the better of them. I heard where there are 351 schools that play D-1 basketball and USC is ranked 349 in experience. Hopefully, they'll be a solid team in the next couple of years.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled ASU/AZ hatefest.

Yes, USC is the only team in the power 5 conferences to not have an upperclassmen start 1 game.

They've been pretty competitive in the majority of the games, that I'm really hoping turn into wins next year, Enfield's clock will start ticking next year. With more talent and experience next year it should be better however.

I have some pretty high hopes for Metu and Boatwright coming next year to help immidiately.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to interrupt the ASU/AZ sniping. :lol:

But I thought USC played pretty well vs. Stanford last night. In the end, inexperience got the better of them. I heard where there are 351 schools that play D-1 basketball and USC is ranked 349 in experience. Hopefully, they'll be a solid team in the next couple of years.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled ASU/AZ hatefest.

I never know what to think about USC. Seems like the only time they did well is when Floyd was being a piece of shit. I want them to do well to help the conference (if nothing else), but I don't know what it'll take. I'm not sure that Enfield was the right choice. I think they could have done way better. It's a good time to try and leapfrog UCLA, since the Bruins are looking more and more like they are headed the wrong direction. Unless Enfield (or whomever) is a great coach and can develop lesser talent, USC is going to need a big name that can immediately generate interest from both fans and recruits. I just think they have so far to go unless they can get a big name and turn things around quickly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, USC is the only team in the power 5 conferences to not have an upperclassmen start 1 game.

They've been pretty competitive in the majority of the games, that I'm really hoping turn into wins next year, Enfield's clock will start ticking next year. With more talent and experience next year it should be better however.

I have some pretty high hopes for Metu and Boatwright coming next year to help immediately.

I agree. The upgrade in talent over what we had the past few years is obvious, but so is the inexperience. As you point out, there's some more talent coming next year. I think we'll see a better team next season (maybe an NIT team) and then possibly get into the tourney the following season.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a stud cTP. I get ya brah!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never know what to think about USC. Seems like the only time they did well is when Floyd was being a piece of shit. I want them to do well to help the conference (if nothing else), but I don't know what it'll take. I'm not sure that Enfield was the right choice. I think they could have done way better. It's a good time to try and leapfrog UCLA, since the Bruins are looking more and more like they are headed the wrong direction. Unless Enfield (or whomever) is a great coach and can develop lesser talent, USC is going to need a big name that can immediately generate interest from both fans and recruits. I just think they have so far to go unless they can get a big name and turn things around quickly.

I think Enfield will be fine. We had very little talent last season and the talent that we did have, didn't really fit his system.

The coaching staff decided to re-build, literally from the ground up, which is why we have so little experience. But the difference in talent is already pretty obvious. It's funny though, we run into the same problem recruiting against your Wildcats and UCLA in basketball, that you guys run into recruiting against us in football. For most top basketball recruits, if the choice is Arizona, UCLA or USC, USC is going to come in 3rd almost every time.

With those Floyd teams, one thing about basketball is that 1 or 2 players can make all of the difference. They can turn a bottom feeder into a team that makes the tournament and they can turn a team that makes the tournament into one that wins it. Floyd was pretty good at getting those 1 or 2 guys that could get us to the tournament, but that was about it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC's basketball expectations are different too. One of my closest friends is a UCLA fan. He and I were laughing about the difference in expectations. We were saying how if Ben Howland accomplished at USC what he did at UCLA, USC would have given him a lifetime contract. At UCLA, he got fired after a season in which he won the PAC.

Most Bruins consider Terry Donahue to be their greatest football coach. At USC, he doesn't make it 5 years.

For me, if Enfield can get us to the tournament most years and make a solid run every now and then and beat you guys and UCLA from time to time, I'll be happy. Anything more is gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points, man. You are completely right. I thought about bringing up LA recruiting, which everything you said is true.

I hope he can get the recruits to develop the program. It's a great time with UCLA down, although it will still be tough. I do think he's capable of getting the to the tourney in a spirt within the next few years. Like you said, at that point, your in a better situation to keep him or shop around.

Hahaha, I have never like Floyd though. He did you guys wrong.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points, man. You are completely right. I thought about bringing up LA recruiting, which everything you said is true.

I hope he can get the recruits to develop the program. It's a great time with UCLA down, although it will still be tough. I do think he's capable of getting the to the tourney in a spirt within the next few years. Like you said, at that point, your in a better situation to keep him or shop around.

Hahaha, I have never like Floyd though. He did you guys wrong.

I'm still not sure what happened with Floyd. That whole thing was weird and hasn't ever set right with me.

When the NCAA investigated the whole athletic department because of the Bush family, they claimed to have uncovered evidence that Floyd paid OJ Mayo $1000. Not even that he facilitated it or knew about it, but that he personally handed the money over.

Mike Garrett quickly and quietly fired him or accepted his resignation or something and self-imposed a 1 year post season ban. To this day OJ Mayo says he never got any money and to my knowledge, Floyd has never spoken about it.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OJ Mayo GOT PAID in Cincy. Then Huggy got fired. The truth.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats UOFA on only dropping ONE spot. Thank the pollsters who might just be giving ASU a little bit of credit. Also, several teams losing this last weekend helped the cause. It did not really affect you you at all. If you can get by UTAH than you're back at 6, maybe 5.

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't really hurt our ranking no, but that #1 seed out west is a pipe dream now

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking at it from an outsider's perspective, I think Enfield was a solid choice. Somewhat of a risk, but with the potential of a high reward. He was great in his two years at FGCU, and prior to that was an assistant at FSU under Leonard Hamilton. He took over USC with the cupboard extremely bare. USC was a year removed from him taking over as a 6 win team. They are extremely young this year, and they are growing. They have 2 more top 100 guys coming in next year to provide even more depth, and you'd like to think all these young players with an offseason together will be much more cohesive as a group and even grow individually as well.

Also, next year, outside of Arizona and UCLA(depending on who returns) the Pac 12 will be up for grabs at the 3 spot in the conference. Not saying USC can't get there, but the league is losing a ton off of some of the better teams in the league for next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from an outsider's perspective, I think Enfield was a solid choice. Somewhat of a risk, but with the potential of a high reward. He was great in his two years at FGCU, and prior to that was an assistant at FSU under Leonard Hamilton. He took over USC with the cupboard extremely bare. USC was a year removed from him taking over as a 6 win team. They are extremely young this year, and they are growing. They have 2 more top 100 guys coming in next year to provide even more depth, and you'd like to think all these young players with an offseason together will be much more cohesive as a group and even grow individually as well.

Also, next year, outside of Arizona and UCLA(depending on who returns) the Pac 12 will be up for grabs at the 3 spot in the conference. Not saying USC can't get there, but the league is losing a ton off of some of the better teams in the league for next year.

:agree: I could see us getting to the NIT next year and the NCAA tourney the following year. Although, if the youngsters grow up quickly from being thrown into the deep end of the pool this year and the guys coming in next year can contribute, then an NCAA bid may not be out of the question.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking about Bob Dylan and Snoop Dogg more than the game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking about Bob Dylan and Snoop Dogg more than the game.

That's Bill. I have to say, this is the best I've ever heard him. He's actually fairly lucid. Usually he drives me so batshit crazy I have to change the channel or mute the t.v.

The last USC game he did, he was so bad that I couldn't wait for USC to start getting blown out so that I could change the channel.:lol: