• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pac 12 basketball

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did a pull-up on the rim. That was idiotic to say the least. Throw the ball in the air or dribble it out and it's over. Why risk that? He gave us a chance to tie and if the T was assessed we'd go to the line AND get the ball on our side of the court. Gotta be smarter than that.

I agree...it was over the top hanging of the rim....should have been called.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, it's done, and that's the way the ball bounces. Gotta move on and do what we've got to do to not put ourselves in the position for this to happen again.

HE TOUCHED THE BALL!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha, Coach's look at the 26 second mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is already 6-6 on threes 11 mins to go in the first half on OSU....

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Luke Walton is announcing the Oregon OSU game. Atta boy Lute. A lot calmer than his dad.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is draining threes like no tomorrow.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Luke Walton is announcing the Oregon OSU game. Atta boy Lute. A lot calmer than his dad.

Great, another dumb Walton announcing........Hope he does not turn out like his father.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow just realized I called him Lute.

Luke would probably have been a top 5 ASU player all time if he went to ASU.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As they should, interesting about the potential second T talked about on here, ASU wouldn't have got a T since the timeout was called allowing ASU players to run the court, I wonder if a TO wasn't called if they would have...

It's all whatever now. But if you go back and look at it, the players were on the court (and inside of the 3pt line) when the ball wasn't even in the hoop yet.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can argue this until the cows come home...fact is Arizona played a bad game and it should have never come down to looking for a call to save the day.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can argue this until the cows come home...fact is Arizona played a bad game and it should have never come down to looking for a call to save the day.

I'm pretty sure that every AZ fan agrees with you. I think talking about this is separate from the loss. As far as the loss goes, we've all acknowledged that it happened because of FTs, turnovers, and a stagnant offense (due to not being able to spread the floor with perimeter shots).

But there is cause for concern in the conference specifically (and maybe CBB, in general), when two extremely questionable techs (and one of them blatant) go uncalled. I'm all for letting them play, but regardless of who the teams are, two techs on the same play (and one at the very least) being ignored, should not be brushed aside. It shows a complete lack of control on the part of the refs.

It has nothing to do with the loss (for the majority of us). I would have been far more pissed if those techs would have bailed us out, and we won. It would have once again made us not really face our weaknesses. But all of that aside, it's an affront to the game when the refs get to pick and choose calling such direct fouls.

Again, the outcome aside: the game before, ASU spat upon players and/or coaches from Oregon. The next game is for the hopes of punching their ticket to the dance, against their rival, and the #2 team in the nation. How on Earth would the refs not expect some shit to go down. The crowd should have been publicly warned, over the loud speaker, before the game. Then, a fan throws objects onto the court. Nothing happens. What message does that send to the crowd, about the refs' ability to control the game? A tech should have been issued to make sure that the refs had it under control. Then, before the end of regulation, the refs should have again warned the benches and the crowd, because anyone could see what would happen if ASU would have won, and it could have been prevented. Then Carson hangs on the rim, and the players are out on the court while Carson is in the air with the ball. Regardless of if the play is under review or not, the bench is on the court while it's a live ball. How is that not a tech for the bench, and then a tech for Carson?

I don't give a shit who's playing, or who wins. The whole situation was out of control, because the refs allowed it. And that's the game after fans were spitting on opposing players. No one is looking for calls to win. The majority of AZ fans don't want any part of winning like that. But as a fan of the game, that shit was ridiculous. I'd feel the same way if it were any other two teams.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I agree with all that and I posted some days ago as to what's up with ASU with the spitting and throwing things on the floor. As long as we are in agreement that the Refs should have called the Tech on the hanging on the rim and we are in agreement that it should have never come to that in order for Arizona to win; I'm OK. Arizona is such a good team with a great, great coach...and it's a team, IMO, that has lost their way. It saddens me to see Gordon and Johnson play so poorly. really don't know if it is because Brandon Ashley is out, and if it is, they need to "man up" and move on. OK we get it; the guy hung on the rim, did a couple of pull-ups, should have been T-D up and maybe Arizona can pull out a "technical win" over a team that doesn't belong on the same floor. Sorry; I'm just not feelin it.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I agree with all that and I posted some days ago as to what's up with ASU with the spitting and throwing things on the floor. As long as we are in agreement that the Refs should have called the Tech on the hanging on the rim and we are in agreement that it should have never come to that in order for Arizona to win; I'm OK. Arizona is such a good team with a great, great coach...and it's a team, IMO, that has lost their way. It saddens me to see Gordon and Johnson play so poorly. really don't know if it is because Brandon Ashley is out, and if it is, they need to "man up" and move on. OK we get it; the guy hung on the rim, did a couple of pull-ups, should have been T-D up and maybe Arizona can pull out a "technical win" over a team that doesn't belong on the same floor. Sorry; I'm just not feelin it.

No I get it, but none of us are looking for the "technical win" most of us are glad we lost, so that the team won't keep thinking that they can just continue to skate by the rest of the season with bad FTs and costly turnovers. They haven't really had to face the music on those weaknesses, because it hasn't cost them any games yet, although all of us fans have been beside ourselves all year that we need to address them. We are hoping that such a despicable loss, to our rivals, who "doesn't even belong on the same floor" (we agree), in 2OT will be the kick in the ass that they need to pull their heads out, bear down, and play AZ basketball. You really can't get much more of a crushing blow than that. So we are really interested to see how they respond. This weekend will definitely be a test. Utah and Colorado are extremely tough at home. Utah only has one loss at home this year (in OT), and other than the game after losing Dinwiddie, CU's only loss at home is in OT.

I can see how you think that AZ has lost their way. But like I told you before; you would definitely be premature to count them out. Johnson is no where near done, and AG just needs confidence. That can come at any time, or it could not. But I bet it does. We'll see. AZ has one of the toughest remaining schedules in the country, left to play. So we'll see how they respond.

AZ needs to do 3 things to play at an elite level:

1) Make FTs. Not easy, but it's not complicated. Really, they're free throws. They just need to figure out how to focus. Obviously, it remains to be seen, but it's all between the ears.

2) Costly turnovers. This relates to the third point, but a lot of it is also focus. Just have to play in the moment. There have been times when AZ has has like 8 turnovers in the first half, and then 1 or 2 in the second half. When they are focused on making good decisions, they respond well.

3) They need to be able to make teams respect them from outside. In their last 7 games, AZ is 24-98 from 3pt, and accordingly, has looked like shit. At the beginning of the year, AG was making 3pt attempts and teams figured out that they had to get out on him. That helped to open up the post by spreading the defense. Now, he won't take that shot, because his confidence is shot. Brandon Ashley helped in spreading the defense by doing the same thing (making open 3pts). He's gone, but it doesn't mean that we can't still spread defenses. Over these last 7 games (where we have shot less than 25% from 3pt), Nick Johnson has gone 6-29 (21%) from 3pt, including a 0-13 drought. So even though Ashley is out, shooting 24% from 3pt (and specifically not having NJ or AG being able to make 3pts) has made teams not respect our perimeter shooting. Teams just stay down low, clog passing and driving lanes, and crowd the basket for boards. It's bogging down our offense. Rondae Hollis Jefferson has splashed some 3s early in the season, and he needs to get back to making enough to keep teams honest. If we can do that, it will open up passing and driving lanes for TJ and NJ to pick defenses apart, and allow room inside for putbacks and tip ins by AG and Zeus. This is how we have been successful this year.

So you see, it has very little to do with Ashley. He will be missed when our bench starts to get thin, but thankfully, none of our guys average more than 32 mpg. So we definitely have the pieces to still make a very deep run. We just need to understand that we have to face our weaknesses, instead of just trying to work around them. The loss to ASU could very well be the slap in the face we needed, because these problems happened with Ashley, and are much bigger than any one player. So I'd (and I think most AZ fans would agree) be stoked if the loss was the wake up call we needed. What we were concerned with, is that we'd keep squeaking out wins, and not face the music of our weaknesses, and then have it cost us in March, and then the season is over; no opportunity to address them at that point.

Again, we'll see how it all plays out. But AZ can still be as dangerous as almost anyone in the country. If they don't learn their lessons, then it's not for any other reason but because they didn't get their minds right. The pieces are certainly still there.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zona -4 at utah......any chance zona drops this game?

Plenty of chance.

Utah has been very good at home this season, only losing to Oregon in overtime (back when the Ducks were playing MUCH better). They've beaten every other conference opponent they've faced at home, including UCLA.

The home environment at Utah is incredibly good and underrated.

Add in the fact that Zona has floundered a bit offensively since Ashley went down, and there's plenty of reason to talk yourself into a Utah win.

I won't go that far, though. I'm expecting Zona to break through the proverbial wall today... but I'm a die-hard Zona fan so take that with a grain of salt :-)

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that every AZ fan agrees with you. I think talking about this is separate from the loss. As far as the loss goes, we've all acknowledged that it happened because of FTs, turnovers, and a stagnant offense (due to not being able to spread the floor with perimeter shots).

But there is cause for concern in the conference specifically (and maybe CBB, in general), when two extremely questionable techs (and one of them blatant) go uncalled. I'm all for letting them play, but regardless of who the teams are, two techs on the same play (and one at the very least) being ignored, should not be brushed aside. It shows a complete lack of control on the part of the refs.

It has nothing to do with the loss (for the majority of us). I would have been far more pissed if those techs would have bailed us out, and we won. It would have once again made us not really face our weaknesses. But all of that aside, it's an affront to the game when the refs get to pick and choose calling such direct fouls.

Again, the outcome aside: the game before, ASU spat upon players and/or coaches from Oregon. The next game is for the hopes of punching their ticket to the dance, against their rival, and the #2 team in the nation. How on Earth would the refs not expect some shit to go down. The crowd should have been publicly warned, over the loud speaker, before the game. Then, a fan throws objects onto the court. Nothing happens. What message does that send to the crowd, about the refs' ability to control the game? A tech should have been issued to make sure that the refs had it under control. Then, before the end of regulation, the refs should have again warned the benches and the crowd, because anyone could see what would happen if ASU would have won, and it could have been prevented. Then Carson hangs on the rim, and the players are out on the court while Carson is in the air with the ball. Regardless of if the play is under review or not, the bench is on the court while it's a live ball. How is that not a tech for the bench, and then a tech for Carson?

I don't give a shit who's playing, or who wins. The whole situation was out of control, because the refs allowed it. And that's the game after fans were spitting on opposing players. No one is looking for calls to win. The majority of AZ fans don't want any part of winning like that. But as a fan of the game, that shit was ridiculous. I'd feel the same way if it were any other two teams.
:bawling:

Just bustin your chops CTP aka love child.

You see I do care who is playing.

You guys are top ranked in the Country and ASU had you guys in double OT and virtually won the game on that block and dunk.

It probably puts them in the Tourney, anyways what was it, half a second? Oh that's right, they put up .07 after the time out. Usually a half second runs off the clock on a made basket. I just can't see them calling technical fouls in this scenario, I don't think it's a problem with the refs at all. They should swallow their whistles with those type of situations IMO. As it was you guys got a little extra time to pull off the miracle.

Now if there was an obvious personal foul, I'm with you all the way. You gotta make that call ...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zona -4 at utah......any chance zona drops this game?
Could happen... Zona is .500 in their last 4 games and barely beat Oregon by 2! Right now as I type this it's at the spread... The Utes down four.

In other CBB news the Orange goes down tonight to bottom feeder BC! :laugh3:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona hangs on @ Utah in OT.

Down by a single bucket the Utes give up the untimely and unforced TO in the final seconds of last nights contest.

This TO came shortly after Utah's B. Taylor (86% from the line) had an opportunity to take the lead however missed all three free throws after being fouled and rimming out his long jumper from beyond the arc.

A loss here would have been the worse case scenario for the former No. 1 Cats who are just a few games removed from their perfect 22-0 start that firmly placed them as the No. 1 in the Country. A loss last night would have cemented an obvious decline after going a mere .500 in their last 4. The Cats needed a 5 point rally with 3+ minutes to go v the Ducks in one of the two victories just to keep it even in their last 4. They still have a huge task at hand, facing the Tournament bound Buffs on the road this Saturday who will be looking for revenge from the 12 point scorching in Arizona.

Even though things have been shaky at best for the No. 4 team in the country, they can put to rest their critics with a win this weekend and look forward to a couple of home games vs middle of the PAC Cal and Stanford and provide a little pressure on trailing UCLA. Winning out of course may secure a No. 1 seed in the Tournament however another loss and they may need a good showing in the PAC tournament if not an outright win.