• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pac 12 basketball

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even if some "regional scrubs" dragged down your SOS, 8th and 70th is a hell of a difference.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't understand the argument here. Are there folks that think that Arizona should be ranked ahead of Syracuse? They were and then lost to Cal. Losing Ashley was a huge blow and for some reason Nick Johnson lost his stroke. Watching the game last night, it was clear that Arizona is really feeling the effects of losing Ashley, however Hollis-Jefferson is doing a great job filling in. As I see it, an already short bench got shorter. Oregon should have won last night, however they decided not to play well during the last 5 minutes of the game. IMO, at this juncture, one would have to consider Syracuse the best team and that might change after the next game with Duke; a team that has improved a lot these past 2 months.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't understand the argument here. Are there folks that think that Arizona should be ranked ahead of Syracuse? They were and then lost to Cal. Losing Ashley was a huge blow and for some reason Nick Johnson lost his stroke. Watching the game last night, it was clear that Arizona is really feeling the effects of losing Ashley, however Hollis-Jefferson is doing a great job filling in. As I see it, an already short bench got shorter. Oregon should have won last night, however they decided not to play well during the last 5 minutes of the game. IMO, at this juncture, one would have to consider Syracuse the best team and that might change after the next game with Duke; a team that has improved a lot these past 2 months.

Runeman nobody is arguing that Arizona is better anymore. They are just defending the Pac-12's honor from that little shit who spews lies every second of the day. We know that Syracuse is better than us now because of the injury, but we also think we were better than 'Cuse before the injury and all of the metrics that slapdick is ignoring/making up ('cuse with a tougher schedule?? laughable) make the Zona fans want to call him out.

And I will say this. Oregon shouldn't have won last night. We shut them down the last 5 minutes, as we have done all year at the end of games. Simple as that. As a 'Cuse fan you should recognize quite well when a team steps up in the clutch moments. We hit the big shots, they didn't. We made our FTs. They didn't. You could have said the same thing for Stanford and Utah (and almost Cal if not for the buzzer beater). At some point it becomes a trend not an anomaly, and our ability to close out games better than the other team, w/ or without Ashley, is clearly a strength.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Runeman nobody is arguing that Arizona is better anymore. They are just defending the Pac-12's honor from that little shit who spews lies every second of the day. We know that Syracuse is better than us now because of the injury, but we also think we were better than 'Cuse before the injury and all of the metrics that slapdick is ignoring/making up ('cuse with a tougher schedule?? laughable) make the Zona fans want to call him out.

And I will say this. Oregon shouldn't have won last night. We shut them down the last 5 minutes, as we have done all year at the end of games. Simple as that. As a 'Cuse fan you should recognize quite well when a team steps up in the clutch moments. We hit the big shots, they didn't. We made our FTs. They didn't. You could have said the same thing for Stanford and Utah (and almost Cal if not for the buzzer beater). At some point it becomes a trend not an anomaly, and our ability to close out games better than the other team, w/ or without Ashley, is clearly a strength.

Didn't know I was getting in the middle of an argument; was just wondering why everyone was going there. I'm really not a Syracuse fan, my brother is and I attend a game once in awhile. Florida is where it's at. Having been to Syracuse; it's a miracle that Boeheim is able to recruit so well and for so many years.

On a positive side, one could say you shut them down; I felt they played horrendous ball. They forgot about defense and rebounding. At any rate, congrats for passing the "gut check" and winning a game you should have won in a much easier fashion. What's up with Johnson..he threw up plenty of bricks last night and also against Cal? 1st half, I thought I was watching the Gators: no 3's and horrific foul shooting. I will say he made all his foul shots down the stretch...why Oregon kept fouling him is beyond me. I would have face-guarded him and let someone else make those shots. At any rate; Jefferson looks like a keeper and will only get better and if your guards can start making a higher percentage of shots; things will get better. Saw a lot of excellent defense; just don't know if your guys can keep up that pace without using more bench. Florida plays the same trapping defense, however routinely rotates 9 players and usually mid 2nd half good things happen. Using 9 players probably has a down side early and an up side the final 10 minutes.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys seriously enjoy arguing about which conference is better that which & what team is better that another? It's pointless. There is a tourney at the end of the year that decides all of that.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon should have won last night, however they decided not to play well during the last 5 minutes of the game.

This seems to be a common conclusion when people watch Arizona pull out a win at the end of games. While understandable, its just not an accurate portrayal of things. 23 Games into the season, Arizona has proven this is not a fluke, its a well established pattern of great end-of-game defense and execution.

6 times this season Arizona has held their opponent to 10 points or less in the final 10 min
In 16 of Arizona's 23 games they've held their opponent to 15 points or less in the final 10 minutes.
In 21 of Arizona's 23 game they've outscored their opponent in the final 10 minutes of the game.

In the last 10 minutes of close games, Arizona has outscored their opponents by an average of 8 points in the final 10 minutes.

with 10 minutes to go....
UNLV, Down by 1... gave up 5 points the rest of the way
Washington, Down by 1... gave up 10 points the rest of the way
Utah, tied... gave up 9 points the rest of the way
@ Stanford, Down by 2... gave up 6 points the rest of the way
@ Cal, Down by 6, gave up 10 points the rest of the way
Oregon, Down by 6, gave up 8 points the rest of the way

So, you see, Arizona's defense might have had something to do with Oregon's "not deciding to play well".

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the way i see it:

zona is lucky that they have a couple of games left. they have plenty of games to get used to the new rotation and are in a much better position that SU in 2010 & 2012 who lost a key player literally days before the tourny. even if Hollis-Jefferson is better than Ashley (not saying that he is) the situation is still a net loss for zona because their overall depth took a hit and a team having 2 freshman as starters is something i worry about come tourny time. in march a team needs every experienced player it can get.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to be a common conclusion when people watch Arizona pull out a win at the end of games. While understandable, its just not an accurate portrayal of things. 23 Games into the season, Arizona has proven this is not a fluke, its a well established pattern of great end-of-game defense and execution.

6 times this season Arizona has held their opponent to 10 points or less in the final 10 min
In 16 of Arizona's 23 games they've held their opponent to 15 points or less in the final 10 minutes.
In 21 of Arizona's 23 game they've outscored their opponent in the final 10 minutes of the game.

In the last 10 minutes of close games, Arizona has outscored their opponents by an average of 8 points in the final 10 minutes.

with 10 minutes to go....
UNLV, Down by 1... gave up 5 points the rest of the way
Washington, Down by 1... gave up 10 points the rest of the way
Utah, tied... gave up 9 points the rest of the way
@ Stanford, Down by 2... gave up 6 points the rest of the way
@ Cal, Down by 6, gave up 10 points the rest of the way
Oregon, Down by 6, gave up 8 points the rest of the way

So, you see, Arizona's defense might have had something to do with Oregon's "not deciding to play well".

no doubt zona is clutch. but a team that routinely pulls out such close games like this.......it usually is a warning sign for march. 5 of your wins came by 4 points or less (2 of them by 2 pts or less) zona could very easily be a 3 or 4 loss team right now.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the way i see it:

nobody cares...

zona is lucky that they have a couple of games left. they have plenty of games to get used to the new rotation and are in a much better position that SU in 2010 & 2012 who lost a key player literally days before the tourny. even if Hollis-Jefferson is better than Ashley (not saying that he is) the situation is still a net loss for zona because their overall depth took a hit and a team having 2 freshman as starters is something i worry about come tourny time. in march a team needs every experienced player it can get.

did you come to these conclusions all by yourself, big guy? Groundbreaking stuff. Can't believe nobody else thought of it before you.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt zona is clutch. but a team that routinely pulls out such close games like this.......it usually is a warning sign for march. 5 of your wins came by 4 points or less (2 of them by 2 pts or less) zona could very easily be a 3 or 4 loss team right now.

You seem to have turned off "troll mode" right now, so looks like a good time to engage in conversation :-)

Grinding out close wins is both a GREAT sign and a worrisome sign for March. You have to be able to do it come tourney time, but you don't want to constantly be in close games.

Any Arizona fan will tell you, the past few weeks have been worrisome when it comes to Arizona's offensive production. Its nice to know that we have the stifling defense to fall back on.

Two of our best players, Johnson and Gordon are slumping at the same time. Sean Miller has a history of getting his teams to peak at tourney time, so we'll see what happens the next few weeks.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have turned off "troll mode" right now, so looks like a good time to engage in conversation :-)

Grinding out close wins is both a GREAT sign and a worrisome sign for March. You have to be able to do it come tourney time, but you don't want to constantly be in close games.

Any Arizona fan will tell you, the past few weeks have been worrisome when it comes to Arizona's offensive production. Its nice to know that we have the stifling defense to fall back on.

Two of our best players, Johnson and Gordon are slumping at the same time. Sean Miller has a history of getting his teams to peak at tourney time, so we'll see what happens the next few weeks.

hahaha you made me laugh when you said this. He only has one mode!

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. as a syracuse fan i have been through the Ashley situation twice in the last 5 years. Lucky for you guys he went out late enough in the season where zona has established itself as a FF contender but early enough to give zona just the right amount of time to get used to their new lineup. it is way better for this to happen now than during the pac12 tourny. Ashley is a very classy guy watching him in interviews. and considering the way he handled the injury and I have a lot of respect for him now. now he is all but guaranteed to come back next year in what looks to be a decent zona class. in the thick of things zona 2015 > zona 2014

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a career-defining game for Arizona State senior Jordan Bachynski. He set the all-time Pac-12 record with 7 blocks vs the OSU Beavers (he also had 17 points and 15 rebounds)

Bachynski surpassed Arizona's Anthony Cook for the most career blocks by a member of the Pac-12, a record that lasted 15 years.

Bachynski said. "I am honored to hold the title. It's because of guys like Bill Walton who laid the foundation before me that I can have the record."

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a career-defining game for Arizona State senior Jordan Bachynski. He set the all-time Pac-12 record with 7 blocks vs the OSU Beavers (he also had 17 points and 15 rebounds)

Bachynski surpassed Arizona's Anthony Cook for the most career blocks by a member of the Pac-12, a record that lasted 15 years.

Bachynski said. "I am honored to hold the title. It's because of guys like Bill Walton who laid the foundation before me that I can have the record."

How did Bill Walton lay the foundation for him to get the record? By NOT getting 7 blocks in a game? Is that a veiled insult?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Bill Walton lay the foundation for him to get the record? By NOT getting 7 blocks in a game? Is that a veiled insult?

the 7 blocks wasn't a game record, it was the amount he had in the game IN WHICH he passed the all-time record

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seattle Times:

"Beavers entered weekend in best spot in almost a generation."

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 7 blocks wasn't a game record, it was the amount he had in the game IN WHICH he passed the all-time record

ahhh, makes more sense, seemed quite low.