• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P5 Change in Scheduling Philosophy?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riiiiiiight. Let’s ignore the fact that Ohio State made it into the playoffs without winning their conference, over their conference champion. Why? Because they had a high quality win over Oklahoma.
also had 1 less loss than PSU....and PSU had a bad loss.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riiiiiiight. Let’s ignore the fact that Ohio State made it into the playoffs without winning their conference, over their conference champion. Why? Because they get higher TV ratings.
FIFY

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just said you would rather play EMU at home rather than play a road game against a P5 opponent? How do you imagine that will work? You really think P5 opponents are all going to do a one and done just for the privilege to play at the Big House?

My comment about playing EMU was directed at a pretty specific scenario where we lost a home game to play a neutral site against Alabama or Florida. In that case, yes; I'd rather have had the home game that year. But overall, would love it if the NCAA mandated playing P5 teams in OOC. In that more equal setting, I'd be fine with losing home games for home/home series.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riiiiiiight. Let’s ignore the fact that Ohio State made it into the playoffs without winning their conference, over their conference champion. Why? Because they had a high quality win over Oklahoma.
Well...and they had the brand of OSU/Urban behind it....and wasn't Gene Smith on the selection committee at that point?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huh? OSU missed out because of a bad loss, not their wins.
But that plays into scheduling as easy as possible, winning those easy games and just making it to the final 4 (Ala ND last year). Though to ND's credit, they couldn't have planned on as many teams on their schedule shitting the bed like Stanford and FSU.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if part of the shift is the cost of attending a game. If people aren't coming to games because it's $100+ for a ticket, then they wouldn't care if the game was home or away; they'd be rooting for a better opponent that they could watch at home on a TV.
I'm sure ticket price is part of it...but it seems the new group seems to be saying they don't really want to pay any amount to see crappy opponents when they can watch it from the comfort of their living rooms.

Did you read the part about a strategy for increasing demand for tickets?

"Stricklin and McGarity both agree this is an investment in their fans. Earlier this year, CBS Sports detailed the continuing national attendance downturn.

Among the top 30 in attendance in 2018, Florida had the fifth-highest decline in average per game, which is particularly notable considering the Gators improved by six wins from 2017 to 2018.

"One thing that has a huge impact is visiting teams don't travel like they used to," Stricklin said. "We hold about 8,000 for visitors, and they usually bring about 3,000. There's where the 75-inch TV is hurting us."

That's a reference to the concerns of those who oversee even the most packed stadiums. The temptation is enjoy the comforts of home is becoming greater for the consumers of college football.

"We're trying to find that balance where we're creating a demand," Stricklin said. "At some point, we might have to have an NFL model from a stadium standpoint and make seats a little more precious."

While there is nothing on the books currently at Florida, Stricklin says the school is "studying" a plan that would create "fewer [but overall] better seats" at The Swamp."

IIRC, when Arizona State remodeled their stadium their capacity actually went down with the remodel instead of increasing capacity. They now have more "exclusive" seats.

But, I'm old and my memory ain't too god.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you know that it will massively hurt G5 programs but you don’t care because it’s “not fair” they can’t win a national title, despite none of them are really trying for that. I’m guessing that the G5 ADs care about making money or else they would have done this already.
As an Athletic Director you job is to support all sports and give them the money, resources necessary to be operational. Even though even looking from the outside it seems like a logical thing, to form a league to be able to compete, that isn’t necessarily always the goal.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Athletic Director you job is to support all sports and give them the money, resources necessary to be operational. Even though even looking from the outside it seems like a logical thing, to form a league to be able to compete, that isn’t necessarily always the goal.
Yes they don’t do it because they would lose millions of dollars. Again no one from any G5 school is pushing for a separate playoff, why is that?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So quality wins matter. Had they beat Mercer or Citadel rather than Oklahoma, Ohio State would not have been in the playoffs.
Maybe. Also possibly not in if PSU did not lose to Pitt.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they don’t do it because they would lose millions of dollars. Again no one from any G5 school is pushing for a separate playoff, why is that?
I'll take a stab and guess....
giphy.gif

As long as the P5 are willing to fork over the amount of cash the G5s find sufficient, the G5s ain't wanting to change anything.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree....I was only speaking of 16 teams forcing teams to weaken OOC schedules.
Fair enough but I think it ties in. There are now more slots available for teams, you can barely find 8 teams that truly deserve to be in much less 16. Standards will significantly decrease.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough but I think it ties in. There are now more slots available for teams, you can barely find 8 teams that truly deserve to be in much less 16. Standards will significantly decrease.
we are definitely on the same page of not wanting 16 teams.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike the ACC & SEC, the other three Power 5 conferences actually play their conference members.

What's the date of the Washington & Arizona State game this year? How about Washington and UCLA?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1