• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P5 Change in Scheduling Philosophy?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I actually want to split FBS into two divisions that compete for separate titles and control scheduling a little more. Allow teams to only schedule 1 non P5 team in the OOC schedule and teams shouldn't be able to schedule FCS teams. Sure, you might get to schedule Vanderbilt or Rutgers but in most cases it would require teams to schedule at least decent P5 teams in OOC (oh, and I think conference teams not on your forced conference schedule should count as well - if Michigan doesn't play Wisconsin for 4 years in the B10, we should be able to schedule them as one of our free slots). Though, that would complicate conference records. Just an idea.

I agree. I really miss being in the East and playing Michigan, Ohio Sate, Penn State and Michigan State every year. I would like to see Cross Conference scheduling. Big Ten and SEC? Teams ranked 1-14 by previous seasons's record. Alternate which conference gets home field yearly

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I actually want to split FBS into two divisions that compete for separate titles and control scheduling a little more. Allow teams to only schedule 1 non P5 team in the OOC schedule and teams shouldn't be able to schedule FCS teams. Sure, you might get to schedule Vanderbilt or Rutgers but in most cases it would require teams to schedule at least decent P5 teams in OOC (oh, and I think conference teams not on your forced conference schedule should count as well - if Michigan doesn't play Wisconsin for 4 years in the B10, we should be able to schedule them as one of our free slots). Though, that would complicate conference records. Just an idea.
Been saying something to similar effect, but it won’t happen anytime soon. Bottom line is the AAC is making more money now as an outside looking in team, than they would in a separate from the FBS division where they would rein supreme alongside the Mountain west.

Think about it. The FBS has added I believe close 20 teams to the FBS over the past 15/20 years. They are moving in the exact opposite direction.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying something to similar effect, but it won’t happen anytime soon. Bottom line is the AAC is making more money now as an outside looking in team, than they would in a separate from the FBS division where they would rein supreme alongside the Mountain west.

Think about it. The FBS has added I believe close 20 teams to the FBS over the past 15/20 years. They are moving in the exact opposite direction.
Seems like that wouldn't impact the split, those teams would just be in the lower division that split off.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that wouldn't impact the split, those teams would just be in the lower division that split off.
They will lose multimillions of dollars and several of them will shut down sports programs.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will lose multimillions of dollars and several of them will shut down sports programs.
So? If you can't run a program without feeding off big schools, then you probably shouldn't have one; it's likely a massive drain to the academic budget as well.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean the ACC & SEC teams will actually start playing their own conference members?

I can understand why you want to play the teams in your own conference more often...you've got a losing record the last two years versus other P5 conferences....going .500 against your own conference actually improves your record.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way this would be plausible is is the bigger schools broke off to form their own league (so pretty much never).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? If you can't run a program without feeding off big schools, then you probably shouldn't have one; it's likely a massive drain to the academic budget as well.
So you know that it will massively hurt G5 programs but you don’t care because it’s “not fair” they can’t win a national title, despite none of them are really trying for that. I’m guessing that the G5 ADs care about making money or else they would have done this already.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s good to see others follow UCFs lead in scheduling good teams.

Tshirt bandwagoner need to learn the UCFacts and be shamed for spreading UCFalse narratives.

#UCFacts

What you smokin', is it an indica?

UCFried

:doobs:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand why you want to play the teams in your own conference more often...you've got a losing record the last two years versus other P5 conferences....going .500 against your own conference actually improves your record.
The best win that Washington has over a team not in the PAC12 in the last 8 seasons is over 8-5 BYU.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I'd rather have a home game against EMU than a road game against a P5 opponent. But that's just me. I like the opportunity to tailgate. A few years ago we only got like 6 home games and it was a bummer. I think it was either the year we opened with Alabama or Florida on a neutral site and that game counted as a home game for us.
Your preference was definitely the conventional wisdom for sure. But according to that quote from the article I posted, that kind of thinking is shifting. Here it is again.

"There was a long time where playing as many home games as possible regardless of the opponent was satisfying to our fan bases," Stricklin said. "Their tastes have changed."

And you have to remember, that "road game against a P5 opponent" will also give you a home game if the agreement was home and home. I can't ever imagine Michigan playing an away game with no return game in the agreement.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you know that it will massively hurt G5 programs but you don’t care because it’s “not fair” they can’t win a national title, despite none of them are really trying for that. I’m guessing that the G5 ADs care about making money or else they would have done this already.
I'm suggesting that they're spending above their credit limit. Somehow FCS programs survive just fine without any affiliation to the P5 teams. G5 teams will have to adjust or shut down. I'm suggesting they play for their own championship and that I don't want to have to see my team play them if at all possible. I'm rooting for match ups against competitive teams vs playing teams that have no chance as a financial hand out to them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I'd rather have a home game against EMU than a road game against a P5 opponent. But that's just me. I like the opportunity to tailgate. A few years ago we only got like 6 home games and it was a bummer. I think it was either the year we opened with Alabama or Florida on a neutral site and that game counted as a home game for us.
Would you rather have a home game against USC or Notre Dame and then the next year have a road game or would you prefer two home games against EMU and CMU?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your preference was definitely the conventional wisdom for sure. But according to that quote from the article I posted, that kind of thinking is shifting. Here it is again.

"There was a long time where playing as many home games as possible regardless of the opponent was satisfying to our fan bases," Stricklin said. "Their tastes have changed."

And you have to remember, that "road game against a P5 opponent" will also give you a home game if the agreement was home and home. I can't ever imagine Michigan playing an away game with no return game in the agreement.
I wonder if part of the shift is the cost of attending a game. If people aren't coming to games because it's $100+ for a ticket, then they wouldn't care if the game was home or away; they'd be rooting for a better opponent that they could watch at home on a TV.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm suggesting that they're spending above their credit limit. Somehow FCS programs survive just fine without any affiliation to the P5 teams. G5 teams will have to adjust or shut down. I'm suggesting they play for their own championship and that I don't want to have to see my team play them if at all possible. I'm rooting for match ups against competitive teams vs playing teams that have no chance as a financial hand out to them.
You just said you would rather play EMU at home rather than play a road game against a P5 opponent? How do you imagine that will work? You really think P5 opponents are all going to do a one and done just for the privilege to play at the Big House?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather have a home game against USC or Notre Dame and then the next year have a road game or would you prefer two home games against EMU and CMU?
I'd rather have alternating 7/8 home games a year against P5 teams than 7-8 home games a year, 2-3 of them being G5 teams....but I also want all other P5 teams doing the same. As it stands, there's no way to schedule like that (playing P5 teams in OOC) without putting yourself at a disadvantage. Beating EMU counts as a win just as much as beating Alabama does right now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's helped a lot more teams recently. The B10 has missed 2 playoffs in a row because of it. ND scooted in with what turned out to be an incredibly easy schedule that they went 12-0 in last year and the year prior both Georgia and Alabama got in over the B10 champ; both played a FCS team.
huh? OSU missed out because of a bad loss, not their wins.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have alternating 7/8 home games a year against P5 teams than 7-8 home games a year, 2-3 of them being G5 teams....but I also want all other P5 teams doing the same. As it stands, there's no way to schedule like that (playing P5 teams in OOC) without putting yourself at a disadvantage. Beating EMU counts as a win just as much as beating Alabama does right now.
Riiiiiiight. Let’s ignore the fact that Ohio State made it into the playoffs without winning their conference, over their conference champion. Why? Because they had a high quality win over Oklahoma.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if you are a 10-2 team, you sit at home during conference championship week yet the team playing in the conference title is also 10-2 and loses. Who is helped and hurt? I know that issue isn’t exclusively for this system, but I think it also is a glaring issue in this scenario.
I don't disagree....I was only speaking of 16 teams forcing teams to weaken OOC schedules.