• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P5 Change in Scheduling Philosophy?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great to hear, is this where I say how has that worked out for them??? Or should I just say, so what? Each year you state this, talk about how great UW is with their scheduling and how competitive they are, then they lose games they shouldn't, you are then brought back down to earth for a day or two and then you proceed with the same topics as last year.
The SEC followed by the ACC play the least amount of P5 opponents on average than any of the other P5 conferences.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, the playoff format rewards playing no one in out of conference scheduling. A lot of these games were schedules in the early stages of the playoff where it was thought that SOS would be a greater consideration than it currently is.
Here is the quote from the article that made me think "FINALLY".

"There was a long time where playing as many home games as possible regardless of the opponent was satisfying to our fan bases," Stricklin said. "Their tastes have changed."

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC followed by the ACC play the least amount of P5 opponents on average than any of the other P5 conferences.
Would be interested to see overall average of SoS per conference. IMO that should be the key indicator. Just because you play 9 teams in the PAC doesn't make your SoS more bolstered.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interested to see overall average of SoS per conference. IMO that should be the key indicator. Just because you play 9 teams in the PAC doesn't make your SoS more bolstered.
Would be interesting to see those two conferences actually play their own conference members. If you're going to have a conference than no reason to avoid playing your own conference members. 14 teams and an 8 game conference schedule is a fvcking joke.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC played significantly tougher schedules than the Pac 12 did. That's what'll happen when Washington loses to Auburn, Stanford loses to ND, Cal loses to BYU, Oregon St loses to Ohio State and Nevada, Arizona St loses to San Diego St, USC loses to Texas and ND, Arizona loses to BYU and Houston, and UCLA loses to Cincy, Fresno St and OU.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interesting to see those two conferences actually play their own conference members. If you're going to have a conference than no reason to avoid playing your own conference members. 14 teams and an 8 game conference schedule is a fvcking joke.
I personally like having a matchup each year rather than another team in my own conference. The year VT played WVU was just bad ass. With the way the play off committee is viewing SoS and that being "the deal" going forward I think that means more as well as the "sexy matchups" that you get. Now is that VT this year? Heck no, but our alumni want / expect it.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally like having a matchup each year rather than another team in my own conference. The year VT played WVU was just bad ass. With the way the play off committee is viewing SoS and that being "the deal" going forward I think that means more as well as the "sexy matchups" that you get. Now is that VT this year? Heck no, but our alumni want / expect it.
You should have a "sexy matchup" with 3 OOC anyway.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have 4 OOC games you should have two “sexy games”.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the quote from the article that made me think "FINALLY".

"There was a long time where playing as many home games as possible regardless of the opponent was satisfying to our fan bases," Stricklin said. "Their tastes have changed."
I mean, I'd rather have a home game against EMU than a road game against a P5 opponent. But that's just me. I like the opportunity to tailgate. A few years ago we only got like 6 home games and it was a bummer. I think it was either the year we opened with Alabama or Florida on a neutral site and that game counted as a home game for us.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have 4 OOC games you should have two “sexy games”.
I am good with that. That said, it is still SoS regardless. If VT drops only one this year I HIGHLY doubt they would even be a consideration as a contender with the schedule that we have. But next year or the year after if we have a great year and PSU / WVU are decent and our SoS lines up better than MSU or Oregon, then cool we are more deserving for consideration for a spot in the playoff.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Extremely too many teams, completely de-emphasizes the regular season and encourages weaker schedules.
I don't want 16 teams, but don't think it would encourage weaker schedules if they had 16. Teams would know if they win conference they'd be in so that might encourage a tougher OOC as a loss wouldn't matter there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, the playoff format rewards playing no one in out of conference scheduling. A lot of these games were schedules in the early stages of the playoff where it was thought that SOS would be a greater consideration than it currently is.
Not necessarily. Weak OOC hurt Baylor in 2014. OSU drops a game this year and it could hurt us.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. Weak OOC hurt Baylor in 2014. OSU drops a game this year and it could hurt us.
But it's helped a lot more teams recently. The B10 has missed 2 playoffs in a row because of it. ND scooted in with what turned out to be an incredibly easy schedule that they went 12-0 in last year and the year prior both Georgia and Alabama got in over the B10 champ; both played a FCS team.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's helped a lot more teams recently. The B10 has missed 2 playoffs in a row because of it. ND scooted in with what turned out to be an incredibly easy schedule that they went 12-0 in last year and the year prior both Georgia and Alabama got in over the B10 champ; both played a FCS team.
So you want to make 1/4 to 1/3 of the schedule preseason football. Why play any of your top players and risk injury when the games are meaningless?

Why play top teams if the games are meaningless to get you into the playoffs? Play two FCS teams, two G5 and call it a schedule and coast through.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to make 1/4 to 1/3 of the schedule preseason football. Why play any of your top players and risk injury when the games are meaningless?
no, I actually want to split FBS into two divisions that compete for separate titles and control scheduling a little more. Allow teams to only schedule 1 non P5 team in the OOC schedule and teams shouldn't be able to schedule FCS teams. Sure, you might get to schedule Vanderbilt or Rutgers but in most cases it would require teams to schedule at least decent P5 teams in OOC (oh, and I think conference teams not on your forced conference schedule should count as well - if Michigan doesn't play Wisconsin for 4 years in the B10, we should be able to schedule them as one of our free slots). Though, that would complicate conference records. Just an idea.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean the ACC & SEC teams will actually start playing their own conference members?

Unlike the ACC & SEC, the other three Power 5 conferences actually play their conference members.

If the haters had their way, teams like Florida would play 13 SEC games, FSU, Miami, and oh… at least 2 other P5 programs that aren’t in the SEC on the road. Every year…

If you they aren’t dead and make it to the SECCG and Playoffs, add in another potential 3 games.

Enjoy your 17-20 game season Gators. That’s the only way you can match up with the Mighty Huskies.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC played significantly tougher schedules than the Pac 12 did. That's what'll happen when Washington loses to Auburn, Stanford loses to ND, Cal loses to BYU, Oregon St loses to Ohio State and Nevada, Arizona St loses to San Diego St, USC loses to Texas and ND, Arizona loses to BYU and Houston, and UCLA loses to Cincy, Fresno St and OU.
Last year you are certainly correct. How bout the season before when UCLA beat A&M and Cal beal Ole Miss. Both A&M & Ole Miss went to bowls. Yet UCLA and Cal did not qualify. Hmmmm

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about 12?
Still excessive in my book. Now with 12 you are also talking bye weeks etc, which I personally am wholly against. Id anything the playoff needs a de-expansion. The top two teams have been head and shoulders better the past few years. Think this playoff is exposing the lack of a need fo a playoff every season. I say go back to the BCS, if the numbers between 2/3 are close enough a 4 team playoff goes into effect.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want 16 teams, but don't think it would encourage weaker schedules if they had 16. Teams would know if they win conference they'd be in so that might encourage a tougher OOC as a loss wouldn't matter there.
What if you are a 10-2 team, you sit at home during conference championship week yet the team playing in the conference title is also 10-2 and loses. Who is helped and hurt? I know that issue isn’t exclusively for this system, but I think it also is a glaring issue in this scenario.