• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P.J. Hairston looks to put mistakes behind him with Hornets

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,948.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte Hornets shooting guard P.J. Hairston said he's learned from his past mistakes and believes his off-the-court problems are behind him.

Hairston, the 26th overall pick in the NBA draft, said Friday at introductory press conference that he "fully regrets everything that happened" around benefits and eligibility issues while playing at North Carolina.

"I've some bumps in the road that I had to overcome and I feel like I've done that," Hairston said.

Hairston rose to prominence as a sophomore when he became a midseason addition to a four-guard starting lineup, becoming UNC's leading scorer and flirting with entering the NBA draft before opting to return to school.

But he never played again for the Tar Heels. He sat out the first 10 games last season while the school worked to resolve eligibility questions for receiving improper benefits, tied largely to the use of rental cars linked to Durham felon and party promoter Haydn Patrick "Fats" Thomas.

Authorities cited Hairston in May and June 2013 while he was driving vehicles linked to Thomas, the second time leading to a later-dismissed charge for misdemeanor marijuana possession.

Source: ESPN