• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Out-of Conference schedule ideas

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball we have Big10-ACC and Big12-SEC challenge every year. So I was thinking why can't we have that in P5 football? Instead of every year we would have every 2 years to allow home and home series.

Said...if the Big12 have conference challenges with the SEC and Big10, and OU draws Florida and Michigan. OU will play them home and home series for 2 years. After 2 years the Big12 will have the PAC12 and ACC for challenges.

What say you?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this should happen. But the only real way is to remove autonomy from the schools. Take their ability to schedule opponents away. Without that, due to the few amount of games and the money factor, they will never do this on their own.

It should be based on previous years standings so lets say one year the B1G will play the ACC and SEC.

Ohio State finished 1st in the B1G, so they would play Clemson and Alabama in the noncon next season as both of those teams finished 1st in their respective conferences as well.

Michigan finished 2nd (same conference record as Northwestern, but better overall record), so they would play Syracuse and Georgia in their noncon.

And so on. Home and home, then rotate. One year the B1G will play SEC and ACC, next rotation it will be PAC and Big12. Leaving the 3rd noncon game to be left to whoever/ traditional rivals (i.e. in many cases Notre Dame).

But also, in order to truly make this as fair as possible, all conferences will need to play the same number of noncon games.

But this is all a dream anyway.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this should happen. But the only real way is to remove autonomy from the schools. Take their ability to schedule opponents away. Without that, due to the few amount of games and the money factor, they will never do this on their own.

It should be based on previous years standings so lets say one year the B1G will play the ACC and SEC.

Ohio State finished 1st in the B1G, so they would play Clemson and Alabama in the noncon next season as both of those teams finished 1st in their respective conferences as well.

Michigan finished 2nd (same conference record as Northwestern, but better overall record), so they would play Syracuse and Georgia in their noncon.

And so on. Home and home, then rotate. One year the B1G will play SEC and ACC, next rotation it will be PAC and Big12. Leaving the 3rd noncon game to be left to whoever/ traditional rivals (i.e. in many cases Notre Dame).

But also, in order to truly make this as fair as possible, all conferences will need to play the same number of noncon games.

But this is all a dream anyway.
I'd be happy if they just pick the games out of the hat. We may not get Alabama-Ohio State, but we may get Alabama Penn State or Ohio State-FSU, and some other interesting matchups.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the PAC12 is having a challenge with the Big Sky
Conf next year.

Wash St-No Colo
Wash-E Wash
Ariz-No Ariz
Az St-Sac St
Utah-Idaho St
Cal-UC Davis
Oregon-Montana
Oreg St-Cal Poly

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many teams have pre-existing annual OOC rivalries for it to be two games.

Iowa - Iowa State
FSU - Florida
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Clemson - South Carolina
Louisville - Kentucky

I wouldn't want to give up the annual coot kickin' for any potential match-up other than maybe Georgia.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ll have to ask the AD’s all this. They are the only ones handling the scheduling some guy who once golfed with a coach in a tournament told us. So he knows.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s a prestigious stripper school in Vegas “female”, that would be alright
Shit on second thought I’m prolly blacklisted somehow
How about Hawaii ?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball we have Big10-ACC and Big12-SEC challenge every year. So I was thinking why can't we have that in P5 football? Instead of every year we would have every 2 years to allow home and home series.

Said...if the Big12 have conference challenges with the SEC and Big10, and OU draws Florida and Michigan. OU will play them home and home series for 2 years. After 2 years the Big12 will have the PAC12 and ACC for challenges.

What say you?
I'm for anything that will improve OOC scheduling. But, if this is the only P5 opponent for each P5 team, then we haven't really improved it have we? Most P5 teams schedule one, uno, 1 P5 opponent every year. That leaves 2-3 other OOC games against....

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for anything that will improve OOC scheduling. But, if this is the only P5 opponent for each P5 team, then we haven't really improved it have we? Most P5 teams schedule one, uno, 1 P5 opponent every year. That leaves 2-3 other OOC games against....
I don't mind P5 teams play ONE fcs school per season, bc they need a warmup game and fcs schools need the money. Anything more than 1 fcs school is too much.

If we have P5 conference challenges rotation every 2 years even though you may get Bama vs Kansas or OU vs Rutger, but you're guarantee to have 2 P5 opponents for each P5 team and a lot of intriguing matchups.

Last edited:

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame Florida for this not happening.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many teams have pre-existing annual OOC rivalries for it to be two games.

Iowa - Iowa State
FSU - Florida
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Clemson - South Carolina
Louisville - Kentucky

I wouldn't want to give up the annual coot kickin' for any potential match-up other than maybe Georgia.

I'd give up GT for an annual matchup with Clemson in a damn heartbeat.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the system continues to work the way it does you'll continue to see less and less great OOC games .

College basketball rewards teams for playing tough games. College Football rewards teams for winning tough games but not as much as it penalizes them for losing those games

Until the reward is higher for scheduling great games than the penslty is for a loss there is no point for a P5 team to risk it

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told today because Nick Saban said no and he runs the universe of scheduling.
Come on, everyone knows coaches are too stupid to know anything about what’s good for their team. That’s why all decisions on coaching staffs, schemes, schedules, and recruiting is handled by the AD.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, everyone knows coaches are too stupid to know anything about what’s good for their team. That’s why all decisions on coaching staffs, schemes, schedules, and recruiting is handled by the AD.
giphy.gif

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy if they just pick the games out of the hat. We may not get Alabama-Ohio State, but we may get Alabama Penn State or Ohio State-FSU, and some other interesting matchups.
Agree, would be great, but as last poster said we'll need to take scheduling out of schools' hands and force it. As we know, there are some teams who frown on home and home scheduling.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the PAC12 is having a challenge with the Big Sky
Conf next year.

Wash St-No Colo
Wash-E Wash
Ariz-No Ariz
Az St-Sac St
Utah-Idaho St
Cal-UC Davis
Oregon-Montana
Oreg St-Cal Poly
Montana will probably play the Ducks tougher than FSU did in the playoffs.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think each year, each team should be put int a group. A,B,C or D. Each team has to schedule 1 game against a team from each group. I know these games are scheduled out years in advance, but it would pull all teams into a closer strength of schedule.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play by actual rules and then use the previous season's standings to determine two OOC games (one home and one away) for each team. For example, 1-4 play 2-3, 5-8 play 6-7, and so on.