• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our way-too-early first pick for the June draft

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument - it's obviously way too early to be guessing who the Sox will take with the #3 pick in the draft this June. Too many variables to lock in on any particular player. There are still FAs out there, trades could happen, cuts and signings could happen, yada yada. And who knows which prospects are going to shoot up or down the charts once the college and high school seasons roll out.

But as of today, based on limited research, I'm going with two solid possibilities as to who the Sox will select if the draft were held right now:

First choice: Andrew Vaughn, 1B Cal. May be the best all around hitter in the draft and perhaps the top masher. Throw in good plate discipline with a nice BB-SO ratio along with strong defense, he seems like a great first choice. Some might claim the one drawback is he only plays 1B, even tho he plays it well.

Second choice: Josh Jung, 3b Texas Tech. Assuming Vaughn is off the board, Jung is more than an adequate Plan B. A bit more overall balance to his game than Vaughn. He too is somewhat limited as to where he can play, but it appears he could handle either INF hot corner spot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now that we're less than a week away, I thought it would be fitting to resurrect this post from a while back when it really was way too early. Here's a take from Fansided as to who the Sox might grab:

Who will the White Sox select in first round of upcoming MLB Draft?

One foregone conclusion appears to be Adley Rutschman out of OSA (former teammate to our last year's #1 pick, Nick Madrigal) will be taken by the O's with the first overall pick in the draft. I have yet to find a draft sight or any analysis that doesn't have this kid at #1. Another consensus has HS senior Bobby Witt Jr going to the Royals at #2.

So that leaves a number of other possibilities for the Sox at #3. The early call was for us taking Andrew Vaughn, and he's still the #3 rated prospect by MLB.com. If we take him, that might tell us that we don't have any long term plans for Abreu and certainly not Alonzo - what a waste of a signing that was. Assuming this to be true, then Vaughn is the likely candidate for our selection.

Another name that has been popping up with greater frequency tho is JJ Bleday out of Vanderbilt. He's an OF with a solid bat, good power, decent glove & arm, but a touch on the slow side. He seems to be gaining momentum on the wish list and is the choice in the Fansided article.

Other possibilities:
CJ Abrams - SS, HS Senior.
Riley Greene - OF, HS Senior

If we selected one of these two highly regarded prospects, we'd obviously be thinking more long term. They would be 3-5 years away at the earliest from seeing any big league action. I don't think the Sox or their fanbase are that patient.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Sox ever drafted a hs player that panned out?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Sox ever drafted a hs player that panned out?
To me, it's not so much a question of whether or not a HS player pans out, it's more of we'd have to wait just that many more years to see the kid in a Sox uniform. Personally, I'd have no qualms whatsoever taking one while the picking is good IF - yes, that's a big IF - we were already stacked at the parent roster and were perennial contenders for the flag. But we're not and we need players who can make the team and contribute in a much shorter timespan.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Rod, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Griffey Jr come to mind.
And wasn't Robin Yount the first player to ever go from high school straight to the majors? My memory on this is extremely faded, but I seem to recall that he made that incredible transition.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And wasn't Robin Yount the first player to ever go from high school straight to the majors? My memory on this is extremely faded, but I seem to recall that he made that incredible transition.
Seems plausible. Just don't know why idseer said that

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone?

Huh? A very large amount of picks are out of high school, at any point in the draft. Early, middle or late.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Rod, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Griffey Jr come to mind.

The list is far too long to elaborate on...

Not to mention the fact that virtually all of the top Hispanic prospects are signed as teenagers.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list is far too long to elaborate on...

Not to mention the fact that virtually all of the top Hispanic prospects are signed as teenagers.

as long as you're not mentioning things ... no one mentioned sox players gio gonzales, carlos may or harold baines.