• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Other top Western Conf teams sputtering

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine that many of you have noticed other top teams in the western conference struggling lately. I'll note what I've seen happening below.

LAC: The Clips seem to be a fairly average team this year. They have the same cast of characters, but something is missing from this year's team that was there last year. Maybe all of the crap that they dealt with regarding the change in ownership has got them out of sync.

SA: They can't seem to win a game lately, and I know they're tired from playing 2 consecutive triple OT games. Parker has some sort of injury, so that has to have something to do with them losing some. Still, though, they are playing themselves out of the top 2 spots in the Western Conference.

Memphis: lost to Chicago in Chicago and barely beat S.A. in 3OTs. They're still mostly intact, healthy and playing good ball.

Portland: They look like they might get the #3 seed in the west. Lillard has had some huge games of late with a 43 pt effort (career high) against the Spurs. They also drummed N.O. at N.O. last night by about 30 pts.

Houston: lost last night to Atlanta at Houston. Otherwise, not been overly impressive. They rely way too much on Harden for scoring.

Dallas: They actually look pretty solid. No real weaknesses or major injuries. I'm honestly not too sure how much better they'll be with Rondo because I haven't seen him play in a while, but they could get into the #4 or #5 seed in the west.

OKC: I don't know the extent of Durant's injury, but if it doesn't force him to miss many more games, they're looking good. They won't be able to get to a seed higher than 6th, but if the dynamic duo are healthy come playoff time, they'll be strong.

Thoughts?

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree w your assessment other than with the Spurs. They have been playing their entire bench and if you've noticed their bench is good enough to beat most NBA teams. Pop is preparing their roster 6-12. No other team does that. Their bench are not just subs - they play the game as though they are starters and they look just like the starting squad for the most part.

The West is obviously deep and when the the post season gets here, it's going to be murder.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that scare me in order of threat (Would be a tough 7 game series): Portland, Memphis
2nd Teir (Should take them, but scary if they start clicking): OKC, Dallas (with Rondo), San Antonio, Clippers
3rd Teir (We should take them without a problem): Houston, Pelicans, Suns

Essentially, the top 7 teams (Dubs included) are a threat to go all the way this season. I personally think Portland is the most dangerous team in the west, they're just built with that grit that can keep pushing through, they're not afraid of anyone and they have a balanced team.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that scare me in order of threat (Would be a tough 7 game series): Portland, Memphis
2nd Teir (Should take them, but scary if they start clicking): OKC, Dallas (with Rondo), San Antonio, Clippers
3rd Teir (We should take them without a problem): Houston, Pelicans, Suns

Essentially, the top 7 teams (Dubs included) are a threat to go all the way this season. I personally think Portland is the most dangerous team in the west, they're just built with that grit that can keep pushing through, they're not afraid of anyone and they have a balanced team.

One can quibble with the order but you are right there are like 6-7 teams that can plausibly win the West (and maybe 5 that can win the East). Which is pretty rare, usually it's 2-3 contenders in each league and that's it. This could be one of the rare years when a seed below 3 makes the finals, maybe in both conferences.

As always will depend mainly on who is healthy when the playoffs start.

Last year's playoffs were really entertaining, this year may be even better. Very few cupcakes in the mix, none in the West.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the best teams are going to lose 20 games a year.

Dallas, San Antonio, Memphis and Portland are the most consistent teams, Warriors not included.

To me the most surprising team has been the Clippers, and not in a good way. They're just not playing high level basketball right now. I feel like some complacency might be setting in for them.

OKC is going to be a threat when they get fully healthy and hit their peak. Houston is hit and miss for me. They're a tough basketball team and have played most of the year with a ton of injuries. I'm not sure how that will affect their team moving forward.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not crazy about the Clippers roster. Something off, mish-mashy, strung together. Either they come together in the post season or they get bounced. It's a high wire act of sorts.