• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: UFC -Georges St Pierre vs Johny Hendricks

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:tsk:

Don't agree with the decision (scored it JH: 1,2,4 - GSP 3,5) because I saw Hendricks do more damage and have more control over the fight the fight, but I knew Hendricks would never win unless he put GSP down. Going into the 3rd round it had become Hendricks' fight to lose, and he did just that by gassing & not going for the kill (ie: letting GSP stand back up more than once).

That being said, if GSP is indeed finished, no doubt he left his mark on the sport. I just think he should give Johny another chance first....

Oh, yeah, AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GOOD BEATDOWN OF CHAEL SONNEN?! :boxing:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you kidding me? I turned it off before the decision because I thought Johnny Hendricks straight out won that fight.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana White at the Post Fight Press Conference: "I'm a promoter, and GSP lost that fucking fight," and later went on to say that the Nevada State Athletic Commission is "incompetent" and "makes me not want to come back to Nevada."

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I had it 48-47 Hendricks, but in all honesty it isn't that far fetched to think GSP got the first round. And they don't judge the fights on damage. They are scoring rounds. So Hendricks obviously did more damage, but that was mostly in the first two rounds (aside from the elbow that cut GSP)

If GSP is going to retire I wouldn't give Hendricks the rematch. After the way this fight went, just end it on the good(?) note. If you come back it might end up an ugly loss. The belt will be up for grabs and Hendricks will probably win that fight so everybody wins.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, did anybody else see in the first round where GSP went for the guillotine and it looked like Hendricks tapped? We were all going crazy thinking that they missed it, but then watched it again and his hand just sort of puttered when he was trying to push off.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones vs Gustafsson was a much closer title fight. I figured if Gus couldn't get the decision after his performance it would have been robbery for Hendricks to get the win over GSP with his.

Another thing going through my mind was were Gus and Hendricks really that impressive or did they just appear that way because of who they were fighting? GSP and Jones up until those fights were just dominating people right and left. So maybe seeing someone actually go even with them in a fight skews our perception to lean in their favor.

Personally I had it like this
Round 3 - GSP
Round 4- Hendricks

I thought those 2 round were pretty clear cut.

Round 2 - Hendricks
This was closer but Hendricks gets it for me because he visibly hurt GSP early. I thought GSP recovered and did more late in the round, but Hendricks visibly hurt the champ which I felt was enough.

Round 1 and 5
Could have been scored either way. I felt like neither fighter really did anything in these 2 rounds to lay a solid claim to them

Apparently 2 judges gave GSP 1, 3, and 5. The other judge had it 1, 2, and 4 for Hendricks. That basically means the fight came down to that first round which was very close.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I had it 48-47 Hendricks, but in all honesty it isn't that far fetched to think GSP got the first round. And they don't judge the fights on damage. They are scoring rounds. So Hendricks obviously did more damage, but that was mostly in the first two rounds (aside from the elbow that cut GSP)

If GSP is going to retire I wouldn't give Hendricks the rematch. After the way this fight went, just end it on the good(?) note. If you come back it might end up an ugly loss. The belt will be up for grabs and Hendricks will probably win that fight so everybody wins.

The judges also score rounds based on who is controlling the fight, right? IMO Hendricks dominated the pace of the fight. GSP and Hendricks stood toe to toe, but GSP was lost on his feet a number of times and basically clinched to attempt to regain composure. Hendricks stopped GSP in his tracks almost every time GSP went for a leg, and every time GSP put Hendricks against the cage, Hendricks would quickly turn the tables and shove GSP into the cage. Every time they clinched, Hendricks would stay active by using knees or elbows that not only landed, but obviously caused damage.

GSP's jab wasn't bad once it got working in the 3rd, and he always is good with his inside leg kicks, but other than that plus his 3 takedowns, I don't see what GSP did to win more than round 3. I only gave GSP round 5 because he is the champion and ties go to the champion (unless GSP tapping on Hendricks' head while holding a leg counts as offensive strikes, which it really shouldn't).

Also, did anybody else see in the first round where GSP went for the guillotine and it looked like Hendricks tapped? We were all going crazy thinking that they missed it, but then watched it again and his hand just sort of puttered when he was trying to push off.

I saw it, too, and I was jumping up and down screaming "DID HENDRICKS JUST FUCKING TAP AND GET AWAY WITH IT?!"

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to add something to this. I see a lot of people on Twitter and news sites going off about how Hendricks did more damage and fights should be judged as a whole and not by rounds.

The thing is if you really believe that then Hendricks would not even be fighting for the title. Hendricks got the title fight by winning out against Condit thanks in large part to the round by round scoring system. Condit absolutely destroyed Hendricks in round 3 and come close to finishing him. If that fight was scored on damage or the judges simply picked a winner based on who they felt won then Hendricks loses that night.

Hendricks can think he won the fight all he wants, but he basically handed GSP round 3 and 5 by slowing down his pace. You can't just give rounds up like that when the other 3 were not dominate clear cut victories for either fighter. If he wants to claim he won the fight as a whole I agree with him, but Condit probably wants a word with him on that subject.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Holy crap Dana White really went off in the post fight interview.

You guys should watch it if you haven't. He called for an investigation of the Nevada athletic commission and said St Pierre owes every one (every one = the UFC, the fans, and Hendricks) a rematch.

And what's going on in GSPs personal life? What he distracted?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap Dana White really went off in the post fight interview.

You guys should watch it if you haven't. He called for an investigation of the Nevada athletic commission and said St Pierre owes every one (every one = the UFC, the fans, and Hendricks) a rematch.

And what's going on in GSPs personal life? What he distracted?

I agree with almost every single thing Dana White said.

And what about the CLASSIC moment when Dana shut Johny's ego train the fuck down after Johny had been spouting off, saying, "Oh, I only put 70% power into my punches, and look how badly I still fucked him up; I did everything I needed to do to win the match - "

Dana: "- Yeah, well you didn't fucking stop him and you let it go to the judges"

Johny: *pause* "Ouch, Dana" :lol:

But did Dana really go as far as saying GSP "owed" Johny a rematch? He probably did, but all I remember were his comments about 1) GSP "taking time off" was BS; retire, or don't retire, cause the UFC aint waiting. (174 in the Cowboys dome being a great option for the rematch). Dana said GSP only won round 3 and that GSPs whole team were in the middle of the octagon, talking about having lost the match up until the point Buffer announced the final score that kept GSP's title.

But Dana also didn't completely bash GSP, cause he said the "time off" announcement was completely out of character for who GSP is, and that A) GSP never specifically said retirement, and B) retirement isn't something you decide the instant after you got the worst ass whooping of your life (walked straight from octagon to ambulance and went to the hospital).

When GSP came back near the end of the presser, tho, JEEZ his face was mangled. :fish: :crutch:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When GSP came back near the end of the presser, tho, JEEZ his face was mangled. :fish: :crutch:

GSP seems to bruise and get get busted up more than your average fighter with shots to his face. He looked pretty bad after the Condit fight as well but no one would dispute he won that fight.

I'm sure Dana will push hard for the rematch, but I wonder if what GSP was subtly trying to say was he is looking to move up a weight class. He always said to do it he would need at least a year off to add the weight to his body correctly. I'm wondering if that's his plan, but he didn't want to out right say it before the match was signed. What do you do if your Dana White in that situation? He has said now for 2 years if GSP and Silva wanted to fight he would make it happen, but after tonight does he let it happen or push hard for the rematch?

Personally I feel GSP and Silva are both ready to retire. I could see both of them finally fighting each other for a payday and out of respect for all the fans that want the fight. Then win or lose they both hang up their gloves.

It sorta makes sense right now. GSP has now beat pretty much ever relevant Welterweight in the world. If he doesn't want to do the rematch who else could he fight that he has not already beat at this point? The UFC doesn't seem to want to sign Ben Askren, and that's a boring fight anyway. Silva will probably beat Weidman to recapture his title, but Silva doesn't care for the belt anymore. He only cares about avenging his loss. I think both fighters are less interested in their belts right now and more interested in just getting in a few more big fights before the walk off into the sunset.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fight Stats Rewind: Georges St. Pierre vs Johny Hendricks Round-By-Round Scoring Nov 17, 2013

00GSPStats.png

"There was actually only one round where a single judge disagreed with the others: Trowbridge scored round one for Hendricks, while D’Amato and Weeks gave St-Pierre the round. The rest of the fight the judges were consistent in their scores, alternating winners over the remaining four rounds. St-Pierre took rounds three and five on all three cards, while Hendricks was a unanimous winner in rounds two and four.

According to the chart, these scores make sense. In the unanimously scored rounds the fighter who won was indeed the more successful striker. Had I graphed “attempts” rather than landed strikes, the chart would look the same, with the more active fighter winning the exact same rounds.

The disagreement in round one corresponds to the closest round of all. Was it a coin flip that just happened to cause the judges to give the benefit of the doubt to the champion? Each fighter landed one takedown, and almost exactly the same number of significant strikes. But what else happened? According to FightMetric, St-Pierre attempted 36 significant strikes, and 48 total strikes (strikes that aren’t “significant” are jabs in the clinch or on the ground) in round one.

Meanwhile, Hendricks attempted 26 significant strikes and 37 in total. St-Pierre also had one unsuccessful submission attempt. So St-Pierre was the more active fighter in the round despite having lower overall accuracy. And there’s the trick. Judges can’t count every strike that lands, and they don’t have any access to statistics during the course of a fight. So what they’re left with is an impression of who was more active, which likely led to the award of round one to St-Pierre for two out of three judges. On the other hand, for Trowbridge to have given the round to Hendricks, it must mean that the effectiveness of his striking trumps the volume from St-Pierre. Who is right?

Judging isn’t an exact science; they are, after all, only human. Imperfections are guaranteed. But looking back at hard numbers and aligning them to how judges scored each round is, in my opinion, a valuable exercise. It allows us to isolate where disagreement occurred, and hopefully spark a conversation of how and why judges render the decisions they do. Hopefully this helps inform future scoring rules and judge training, and puts judges on the spot to explain why they disagreed over a certain round so that we can understand why their opinions differ. Maybe commissions can even endeavor to agree on which way is the “right” way to score a round in the future. But I would assume a big-time athletic commission does this kind of thing themselves, right?"

This is by far the best breakdown of the fight I have seen. It was far from the controversial decision or even robbery that the media and others are making it out to be. While Hendricks might have won the fight as a whole he failed to really dominate any of the rounds except the 4th. He also I thought clearly won the 2nd but that's based on the fact he visibly hurt GSP. If you look only at the numbers the 2nd round was nearly as close as the 1st.

In the end Hendricks only his himself to blame. He went into round 5 with a chance to take the title from possibly the greatest pound for pound fighter to ever grace the octagon. All he needed to do was take the fight to the champ for 5 more minutes, but he instead played it safe like all he needed to do was survive the round. GSP fought that round like the belt was on the line and in the end got his hand raised for it. Hendricks mistake was assuming he had already won.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gsp lost that fight just like brooks hit was legal.

Gsp was man handed that fight. Gsp easy out in an fight was that he could just wrestle the guy down and control it. He wasn't able to do it and got smacked up in the process. Horrible decision. Mine as well be boxing now...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gsp lost that fight just like brooks hit was legal.

Gsp was man handed that fight. Gsp easy out in an fight was that he could just wrestle the guy down and control it. He wasn't able to do it and got smacked up in the process. Horrible decision. Mine as well be boxing now...

We're probably the only 2 left still talking about this so I'll probably make this my last post on it.

Hendricks believes in his heart he won that fight and the title should be his and has no issue telling anyone that. He needs to step back and realize though he lost the 5th and deciding round in a championship fight. It's a bit hard to walk around acting like you won a fight when you clearly lost the last round in it. He only has himself to blame for this as well.

He went into round 5 thinking he only lost round 3 and just needed to survive against any and all attempts of GSP taking his head off and finishing him. That's not how someone claiming to be a champion though should be taking the final round in a title fight. Hendricks should have realized how close the first 2 rounds might have been and gone out looking to finish or at least try to win the damn round. There are only 5 rounds in a UFC fight and he knew GSP probably took round 3 so by not trying to win the 5th he knew GSP at least took 2 rounds. That left him a 1 round cushion in his mind, and that is simply not excusable for someone talking like they should be a champion. If you want to be the champion then KO or tap the guy out. If you have to let it go the distance than do it thinking you won every round and not just enough rounds. I mean look at GSP and how many of his fights have gone the distance. How many of his fights does he win every round and how many of them does he win enough rounds? How many of them does he win the 5th round? GSP can know he took rounds 1-4 and still looks to the win 5th, and right now that is the difference in a champion and guy that thinks he won.

What Hendricks is doing right now by saying he is the champion, and he should have won would be like us saying we are Super Bowl XLVII Champions. I mean we pretty much dominated the last half of that game right? We had the Ravens on the ropes and the ball on their 5 yard line. Game, Set, Match we're the champions, only we're not because we failed to finish the drive. Hendricks failed to finish the fight in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Totally agree that Hendricks should have done a bit more in the 5th to seal it.

Dana White gets a lot of credit for his post-match comments. He's really on the ball and he came off really fair and legit. He called it like it is and isn't afraid to call shit out.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, if there's a rematch GSP does need a new gameplan. I think he has to keep his distance it was up close too often.

I'm gonna definitely drop another $55 for part II. :-)

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if there's a rematch GSP does need a new gameplan. I think he has to keep his distance it was up close too often.

I'm gonna definitely drop another $55 for part II. :-)

GSP should retire to be honest. He has not been the old GSP since the knee injury. I don't think the injury is the reason behind it, but he has been noticeably less explosive since coming back. I think the guy at 32 years old has just logged 1 to many minutes inside the cage. If he doesn't retire he at least need an extended vacation from training and even thinking about fights. Joe Rogan said in all of GSP title defenses 50% of the hits he has taking have come in the last 3. That's a very high number.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can see it in guys like GSP and Silva. I think after being on top for so long it weighs you down. Jon Jones is beating a lot of former champs, but a lot of them are past their prime and he is huge compared to them all. GSP didn't have as many former champs to go through because with him there, there was nobody who could ever become the champ. Not to mention he is naturally not much bigger than what he fights at. (it is said he walks at 180-185pounds) so he was fighting guys like Thiago Silva who cut down from 200. A lot of bigger guys. Not to mention it is easier to get to the top, then it is to stay there. Fighting that many top guys, one after another. Having to self motivate because you are not even challenged most of the time… the dude deserves a break for as long as he wants. I think he is tired.

If they do fight again I think GSP should abandon the take down. Hendricks is farm strong and knows how to wrestle. GSP took most of his damage from the clinch. Eating a lot of shots while working for the takedown. He was actually fairing pretty well when he was just fighting. When the takedown comes… then go for it like he did in the first round.

Either way, the fight I most want to see is a toss up…Matt Brown vs Condit is going to be great. And Brandon Thatch is coming up. He is one of my favorite new fighters. If you haven't seen him, watch him fight. He is eventually going to fight Condit because stylistically they are very similar. It might be a year from now, but when it happens, it is going to be glorious.

[YOUTUBE]0mBsDT-0NJw[/YOUTUBE]