• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sounders back to back bad losses

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After an incredible run to claw back up to the #1 spot Sounders have gone draw, draw, loss, loss with the two losses by a 2-9 margin (1-5 and 1-4 tonight)

Here's my observation in these past two losses

- Our back line has been horrendous with their spacing. The gaping holes in our defense is really worrisome. It's the equivalent of an NFL defense playing prevent and giving up a seam route for a td. We've given up so many goals where our defender is just out of position, leaving the opposing player an easy lane to sneak a pass in for a run.
- Michael Spurning hasn't exactly been good playing the goalie position either. There are some shots where he has no chance, but of the 9 goals given up at least 4-5 of them Kasey Keller would have saved a few years ago.
- Inability to finish opportunities. It's mind boggling that we've only been able to score 2 goals in the past two matches with as many opportunities as we've had. The Sounders in the past two games is the equivalent of an NFL team who consistently gets first downs and has 8-10 play drives and has to settle for fgs or has a turnover in the red zone and the other team who gets locked down all game and hits 3-4 big plays (70 yd passes, punt return tds, int return td, etc) and blows us out.

Sounders are so damn talented from top to bottom...they need to start picking it up...playoffs are around the corner.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire your enthusiasm for the Sounders. Hope they pick it up.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they can get it together before the playoffs start. After all that work to get to the top spot, it would be a shame if they fizzled towards the end of the season and went quietly in the playoffs. I'm not well-versed in soccer strategy, so I have no idea what they need to do to fix this, but I hope Sigi and co. figure it out soon.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had some issues being short handed with red/yellow cards and also National team call ups. Better get the issues out now before the playoffs.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need to figure out how to pick things up, all right. They had a slow start, came roaring their way up to the top spot in the West, and even all of the MLS at one point, only to fall hard like THIS?

Not many games left in the regular season, so they'd better get a move on here.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't mean as much...but the Sounders can avenge UW's loss to Oregon by beating the Portland Timber tonight

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for reminding me the game was on tonight. Tuned in to 0-0 just in time to see the timbers knock one in. :L

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for reminding me the game was on tonight. Tuned in to 0-0 just in time to see the timbers knock one in. :L

Dempsey had a header right in front of the goal go off the top post (is this guy just unlucky or what...can't catch a break since his return to mls) and Neagle had a header saved by the timber goalie.

Other than that it's been all Portland controlling the ball while Seattle either the players aren't on the same page or they're just playing really dumb (nonchalant passes, miscommunication, constant retreating of the ball that leads to the goalie having to air it up where we lose the ball 90 % of the time).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, they went from leading in the supporters shield with games in hand to lucky to make the playoffs in like 3 games. This team is just terrible right now. If the playoffs started today they would be clean swept out in the first round.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been so frustrating to watch. The offense is just incapable of moving the ball and keeping control. It's like every defender out there is Richard Sherman playing press coverage on our guys. Then when the opposing team is attacking it's like all of our defenders are Kelly Jennings playing soft coverage.

And when we do have opportunities we just can not finish.

Two sure goals that bounce right off the top goal post today. That last one in the 90th minute that bounced off I nearly threw my remote at the tv.

Two games left to get some semblance of momentum moving into the playoffs otherwise like you said we're swept clean out of the first round.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really didn't understand taking Rosales out for Estrada. Mauro is by far our best player on offense to set the table and they took him out down a goal. I was really confused by that. His passing is key to so many of our wins.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...4 straight losses

back to back shut outs

No wins in the past 6 games...outscored 4-14

Unbelievable...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...4 straight losses

back to back shut outs

No wins in the past 6 games...outscored 4-14

Unbelievable...

From first place in all of MLS to might not make the playoffs in a little over a month. Might be the worst collapse in seattle sports history and that's saying something considering how many bad teams we have had.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sounders had to go on a serious hot streak just to get the best record in the league, but now it seems like they've reverted to being the team they were before that hot streak. It's getting harder and harder not to call that hot streak a fluke.