• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Oscars Predictions 2020.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are who I think will win, not who I think is best.

Motion Picture - Oscars: Full List of Nominations

Best Picture - 1917 or Little Women, I'll go with 1917.
Best Actress - Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Supporting Actress - Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Best Director - Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

International Feature - Parasite (South Korea)
Animated Feature Film - Klaus (Netflix), Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh and Marisa Román
Best Costume Design - The Irishman, Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson
Makeup and Hairstyling - Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten and David White

Best Sound Editing - Ford v Ferrari, Donald Sylvester
Original Song - "Into the Unknown," Frozen II, music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn't any montage of famous scenes from movies.

This was the 2nd year without a host. They did it because they want to keep the pace going.

While it's a big change, not having an iconic host every year, I'm ok with it. Besides, most of the presenters do their own bits anyways, so the comedy element is still there.

(@MHSL82)

Steve Martin and Chris Rock were together. Martin had a good line, where he didn't want to insult Jeff Bezos. See why:

2:20 - 2:25

Also a cool line about how Martin and Rock have both hosted the Oscars twice, so presenting a category was a demotion.

The Oscars also didn't have the annual joke about PricewaterhouseCoopers safeguarding the results of the votes. That was always a cheesy bit.

I see there's some internet outrage at how Shia LeBeouf and Zack Gottsagen were presenting a category. Some people thought Shia made fun of Gottsagen. I didn't see it that way. Shia wouldn't have costarred with Gottsagen in "The Peanut Butter Falcon" if he didn't like him, and he wouldn't have presented with him either if he didn't like him. Even Gottsagen's mom defened LeBeouf.

I thought it was a nice moment for them on stage together.

Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus also had a good bit on Film Editing. Watch from 2:00 - 2:57.

"Ford vs. Ferrari vs. Ferrell". Lol.

There is too much emphasis on how every year, a certain category doesn't have diversity. Not every category is going to have diversity across every section, every year. Overall, across all categories, there is diversity in nominees and winners. A South Korean film won 4 awards.

An Indian film has won Best Picture before.

One of the presenters even pointed out how Best Documentary had 4 of the nominees with women directors.

They picked on Best Director this year, noting lack of women, and the lack of Black acting nominees. Sometimes that's just the way it is in a given year, with a category. There have been plenty of Black nominees, and winners, in recent years.

Unless there's a glaring omission, they don't need to bring it up every year. Besides, the peers are the ones that put in the nominations, and do the votes. It's not like a mysterious board. If the peers aren't voting enough for certain movies, then there's not much that can be done, other than to campaign harder to receive votes for those categories.

There is diversity in other ways, across all categories, among nominees and winners.