• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: OJ Simpson Made in America

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone seen this on Netflix? It's a 5 episode series and was actually food.

Footage of the Rodney King/Reginald Denny stuff, racial divide across America, corrupt PD, just all kinds of stuff.

Recommend it for sure, I was pleasantly surprised.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone seen this on Netflix? It's a 5 episode series and was actually food.

Footage of the Rodney King/Reginald Denny stuff, racial divide across America, corrupt PD, just all kinds of stuff.

Recommend it for sure, I was pleasantly surprised.
I believe that was the series that ESPN produced 5(?) years ago....I watched it then, and the security cam footage of him storming into the hotel to retrieve his stolen memorabilia was gripping. I actually worked at a bank in Rialto that Rodney King came in occasionally per the other Bankers that knew him. So did the guy that played Apollo Creed's trainer in the first 2 Rocky movies, whom I did exchange pleasantries with, seemed nice.

But was always dumbfounded at how the a-holes that attacked Reginald Denny didn't get any jail time...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the one, I think it's part of the ESPN 30 in 30 series. With him dying recently (bye! Enjoy hell you murderer) all the OJ stuff is appearing again on streaming services and I spotted this one. There's another one, has An American Tragedy in the title I was watching but forgot what service it was on.

The whole hotel section was nuts, I never knew the whole story. But dude, you just got acquitted of double murder and are going out doing stupid stuff? One thing I learned in this series was he was a complete egomaniac, quite possibly an undiagnosed narcissist.

That judge in NV dropped the hammer on him too, the 33 years matching the $33 million he owed resulting from the civil suit between him and tye Browns/Goldmans was gold. I don't think there is any coincidence at all, that judge nailed him as payback for walking in 1995.

Same here, no idea how that was missed. I'll have to research Denny and see whatever happened to him. We talk about Rodney King, OJ, others during the 90s but no justice seemed to come out of the Denny beating.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen this but I will check it out
OJ had a house on the Beach in Laguna when I was in high school and a couple of years after (with Nicole)
He was always nice to everyone. Would bring food out to the kids on the beach. Always had time to talk to anyone when he was shopping. Made a commercial at my high school that I don’t think ever aired on tv.
I was going to The Pond to watch a Bullfrogs game ( roller hockey) on the day of the freeway drive watched it on the screens there.
Nicole is buried near where I lived at the time.
Before they saw him the police were blocking off streets near my condo. They thought he might kill himself at her grave. He was spotted near the El Toro Y when the chase began

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen this but I will check it out
OJ had a house on the Beach in Laguna when I was in high school and a couple of years after (with Nicole)
He was always nice to everyone. Would bring food out to the kids on the beach. Always had time to talk to anyone when he was shopping. Made a commercial at my high school that I don’t think ever aired on tv.
I was going to The Pond to watch a Bullfrogs game ( roller hockey) on the day of the freeway drive watched it on the screens there.
Nicole is buried near where I lived at the time.
Before they saw him the police were blocking off streets near my condo. They thought he might kill himself at her grave. He was spotted near the El Toro Y when the chase began

It's on Netflix, each episode (I think 5) is an hour to 1:20+ so be prepared to spend some time watching it all. But it begins talking about LAPD and treatment of blacks in areas like Watts, covers the Watts Riots, etc. laying the framework for the case and race in the middle episodes. At first I was like WTF does this have to do with anything but then it makes sense.

There was a lot of footage of him being nice to people, seemed like a genuinely nice guy. But then later on, at least to me, it was clear that was all a show to feed his narcissism. It was all about OJ, his image, all that stuff. By the end I didn't think he was a good guy at all. The Florida chapter of his life is wild which is also in this series.

I'll never forget where I was either when the Bronco chase broke out, that was insane with people on over passes and what not cheering him on. I didn't know he lived in OC which would explain why it originated at the Y (familiar area although he wasn't at a home of his when he and Cowlings took off for Brentwood).

And a Bullfrogs game? I still have a ticket stub from a game, fun times watching those games. The beach roller hockey stuff was interesting to watch with the ramped end boards, McSorley played in that league in Manhattan during the off season.

Overall a good series, I'd check it out for a weekend binge or something. The other series I was referring to is called OJ and Nicole: An American Tragedy, I'll try to wrap that one up this weekend.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a decent one on The Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez. If you're old enough to remember that summer, and how he had all of SoCal on edge. One of his victims was a couple that lived a few doors down the street from a friend of mine in Diamond Bar. I specifically remember watching the news with my parents when they announced his identity (on a Friday night if I recall correctly), and then the level amazement the next morning having breakfast when they announced he had been captured already.

Is a 3 or 4 episode series, but is worth a watch. I find myself scrolling through the documentaries on the streaming services, and enjoying those more than any of the scripted crap that is produced anymore...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that The Nighy Stalker The Hunt for a Serial Killer from 2021? I saw that one, it was good. Or is there a new one? Nor finding anything on Teh Google.

True crime shows and documentaries get me hooked and next thing you know it's 330am and I have to get up in 90 minutes. Found this, seen most of them. Thw Murdaugh Murders is really good:

We missed Ramirez's reign of terror having moved here in Sept 1986 but even a year after his capture (August 1985) he was still all over the news and what not. I just started 6th grade in the South Bay and kids were still talking about him. Being the new kid and moving from Ohio it was not only an adjustment period but being that young you don't think of those things. My youngest one is going into 6th in the fall and I see him and he has. I clue of how f**ked up this world truly is.

My dad moved to Los Angeles in May 1985 to prepare everything for us to come in September 1986 so he got to deal with it. I remember him calling my mom back in Ohio every night or two and talking about it saying how everyone was on edge, terrified. My mom was freaked out and worried ans everyone was relieved when he was captured.

Pretty awesome a neighborhood came together to stop him and end his killing spree.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a decent one on The Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez. If you're old enough to remember that summer, and how he had all of SoCal on edge. One of his victims was a couple that lived a few doors down the street from a friend of mine in Diamond Bar. I specifically remember watching the news with my parents when they announced his identity (on a Friday night if I recall correctly), and then the level amazement the next morning having breakfast when they announced he had been captured already.

Is a 3 or 4 episode series, but is worth a watch. I find myself scrolling through the documentaries on the streaming services, and enjoying those more than any of the scripted crap that is produced anymore...
That was a scary time for sure. I lived in Diamond Bar at the time. My parents still live in the same house. I remember sleeping with a knife under my bed. Just curious, what is your friends name?

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents & my brothers & I moved to Diamond Bar from the Bay Area in Nov '81. There was absolutely nothing at the intersection of Grand Ave & DB Blvd. Continuing south on the Blvd, after Pathfinder, was only a 2 lane road down to the 57 fwy. We lived on Maple Hill Rd, almost directly across what is now labeled "Premier Swim Academy" on Google Maps. Dad owned the house for about 25 years before selling it.

Anyway, friends name was Ron Brown. What part of DB did you live in? North or South?

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents & my brothers & I moved to Diamond Bar from the Bay Area in Nov '81. There was absolutely nothing at the intersection of Grand Ave & DB Blvd. Continuing south on the Blvd, after Pathfinder, was only a 2 lane road down to the 57 fwy. We lived on Maple Hill Rd, almost directly across what is now labeled "Premier Swim Academy" on Google Maps. Dad owned the house for about 25 years before selling it.

Anyway, friends name was Ron Brown. What part of DB did you live in? North or South?
We were North. My parents are off of Ballena and Golden Springs. Not far from DB Bl and Golden Springs. Less than a mile from Diamond Jims Dairy (if you remember that).

I remember there used to be a Thrifty and Alpha Beta off of Diamond Bar Bl. where the old movie theater used to be.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were North. My parents are off of Ballena and Golden Springs. Not far from DB Bl and Golden Springs. Less than a mile from Diamond Jims Dairy (if you remember that).

I remember there used to be a Thrifty and Alpha Beta off of Diamond Bar Bl. where the old movie theater used to be.
I used to deliver pizzas all around there for Papa G's and my mom used to work at Chaparral Middle School.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes! I do remember Jim's Dairy, was a drive thru convenience store, right? My brothers both went to Mt Calvary school when it first opened. When we arrived in 1981, the only stores were the Vons on the North side, and the Alpha Beta & Thrifty's on the South. I attended Chaparral Middle school, and graduated from DBHS IN 1990.

Didn't spend a whole lot of time on the North side, but did go to the Carl's Jr a fair amount of time. When I was in my early 20s (and after Cali outlawed smoking in bars & restaurants) a few of us would frequent the Oak Tree Sports Bar (next to Oak Tree Lanes) because they didn't prevent you from smoking.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only connections to Diamond Bar:
- I don't live too far away in Yorba Linda
- I was in a high speed pursuit once and managed to ditch the cops. I own that one like a badge of honor, straight out of Fast and Furious driving skills. Involved Grand and DB Blvd and Carbon Canyon Road
- I got my CA Dept of Insurance P&C license issued after I passed my exam there

Nice neighborhood. Good times.

=)~~

Last edited:

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! I do remember Jim's Dairy, was a drive thru convenience store, right? My brothers both went to Mt Calvary school when it first opened. When we arrived in 1981, the only stores were the Vons on the North side, and the Alpha Beta & Thrifty's on the South. I attended Chaparral Middle school, and graduated from DBHS IN 1990.

Didn't spend a whole lot of time on the North side, but did go to the Carl's Jr a fair amount of time. When I was in my early 20s (and after Cali outlawed smoking in bars & restaurants) a few of us would frequent the Oak Tree Sports Bar (next to Oak Tree Lanes) because they didn't prevent you from smoking.
Yes, the dairy was a drive through. It was there forever. Too bad it closed up. We went to Mt Calvary church as well. In fact, we went there when we would meet at Golden Springs Elementary in the cafeteria for sunday school and services. Then they built it up on the hill behind Lorbeer and we attended it there. Being that I was in the North end, I ended up going to Ganesha and graduated there in 1988.

Oaktree Lanes.... I used to spens A LOT of times there AND the Carls Jr. I remember Carls Jr. was one of the first places that would allow all you can drink sodas. My firend and I would go there grab a bit and then sit for hours hangning out and drinking soda. Then, if we were able to score some beer, we would drink it in the back of the parking lot where no one would see.

@Puck, SMH. LOL For some reason it doesnt surprise me to hear about the chase. I guess I would be proud that I ditched cops as well, but I would have been too scared to try and run from them in the first place. LOL

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joy riding days, my man.

Me and a buddy stole a car, were spotted on DB Blvd and lit up. Being a minor (17) at the time I figured I wouldn't get hit too hard but my buddy was 18 and would be looking at GTA and some serious stuff so he said gun it and let's take our chances. We gave them a run in and around Diamond Bar for a hot minute. Pretty impressive Porsche.

Carbon Canyon was extremely dark at the time (still is I'm assuming? Nowadays I stroll on it on the Harley in daylight and am mellow just enjoying the scenery and wind therapy) and I managed to pull some controlled yet dangerous stuff and the cops slowed down and backed off buying us some time. Found a secluded area surrounded by trees, pulled in and killed the lights and 2 black and whites went right by us. I'm actually shocked they didn't see us still to this day.

Waited a minute, no third police car but my buddy had a police scanner and we heard a helicopter had been dispatched so I slowly pulled back out, went back in the direction where we came from, ditched the car in some neighborhood nearby, wiped it down and we just ran as fast as we could.

Made it to a gas station near the 57, called a third buddy and he came and picked us up. Waited days and days freaked out, nothing so we figured we were finally OK.

And yeah, definitely wouldn't be pulling any of those stunts these days haha.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joy riding days, my man.

Me and a buddy stole a car, were spotted on DB Blvd and lit up. Being a minor (17) at the time I figured I wouldn't get hit too hard but my buddy was 18 and would be looking at GTA and some serious stuff so he said gun it and let's take our chances. We gave them a run in and around Diamond Bar for a hot minute. Pretty impressive Porsche.

Carbon Canyon was extremely dark at the time (still is I'm assuming? Nowadays I stroll on it on the Harley in daylight and am mellow just enjoying the scenery and wind therapy) and I managed to pull some controlled yet dangerous stuff and the cops slowed down and backed off buying us some time. Found a secluded area surrounded by trees, pulled in and killed the lights and 2 black and whites went right by us. I'm actually shocked they didn't see us still to this day.

Waited a minute, no third police car but my buddy had a police scanner and we heard a helicopter had been dispatched so I slowly pulled back out, went back in the direction where we came from, ditched the car in some neighborhood nearby, wiped it down and we just ran as fast as we could.

Made it to a gas station near the 57, called a third buddy and he came and picked us up. Waited days and days freaked out, nothing so we figured we were finally OK.

And yeah, definitely wouldn't be pulling any of those stunts these days haha.
Its crazy you had the wherewithall to wipe down the car. Also had a police scanner? You knew you were up to no good that night eh?
Pretty gutsy being that nothing really ever happened in DM back then. Surprised you didnt have the whole sherriff dept after you that night.

Havent been to Carbon Canyon in a while at night but crazy dark back then and dangerous. I can see it being a nice relaxing ride on the Harley.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, didn't get through Carbon Canyon hardly ever. Now, Brea Canyon road, got to where I could drive that at 70mph with my eyes closed. My friends and I all had hot rods back then (I had a '71 Camaro), and we'd race from the light at Brea Canyon & DB Blvd (going south), who ever got to the part where the lanes reduce to one was the winner. Also, I worked at the Round Table pizza at Grand & DB Blvd., and at night, after the sprinklers had run their cycle, a puddle of water always formed in the parking lot, that I'd set my rear tire in, and spin my tires all the way up into the next area of the parking lot.

Craziest thing I did was driving 100mph in the bike lane during mid day afternoon traffic to get around a group of cars that were driving "slow".

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy you had the wherewithall to wipe down the car. Also had a police scanner? You knew you were up to no good that night eh?
Pretty gutsy being that nothing really ever happened in DM back then. Surprised you didnt have the whole sherriff dept after you that night.

We started pretty early jacking cars, we never wanted them for anything except joy rides. We're talking high end ones so we always went to nicer areas like DB, Newport, etc. I didn't want your Civic, I wanted your Lambo.

=)~~

It was indeed my scanner, that's how I knew when we'd been found out and exit strategy started. Amazingly we never got caught over a span of about 4 years. Even hit the news once on KTLA, people baffled how these cars are getting stolen but no damage and found in some random city. I'd even lock it up so some jerkoff crook wouldn't get to it. I guess you could say we were respectful thieves haha. Got a chuckle when that piece went on the air.

It was a very quiet night that night on the scanner, we were apparently the only game in town that night. When the two cruisers went right by us that's when pretty much every sheriff started out. We heard multiple officers heading in our direction but the helicopter is what really freaked us out and decided right then and there F this, I will not be able to lose a chopper. Ditched it and bailed, wiping down was always the routine.

Good times, lots of adrenaline.

Havent been to Carbon Canyon in a while at night but crazy dark back then and dangerous. I can see it being a nice relaxing ride on the Harley.

It was basically pitch black, only could see as far as the headlights would let me. But that Carerra hugged the road so well we were never really worried about crashing, I could really pull some moves back then on a stick. Nowadays I drive giant dad mobile SUVs (I have a Yukon XL, latest one I bought new in 2020 right before Covid hit) and take my sweet ass time going anywhere, became a very defensive driver in my early 20s. Got that crazy out of my system apparently, my kids call me Grandpa because I'm usually driving casually.

And man there is nothing like wind therapy on a Harley on twisty roads. If someone is riding me I pull over so they can pass, you are not ruining my ride. Love the straighaways too but taking twisties in a canyon (Mulholland Drive is a lot of fun, as is Ortega Highway. Lots of turns, I scrape my floorboards leaning the bike - big Road Glide) is something special. The scenery, the rush.

Love just being on it and enjoying the freedom it makes you feel. Nothing in the world matters for that moment.