• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: NBA adopts anti-flopping rules

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA adopts new anti-flopping rule

Violation 1: Warning
Violation 2: $5,000 fine
Violation 3: $10,000 fine
Violation 4: $15,000 fine
Violation 5: $30,000 fine

If a player violates the anti-flopping rule six times or more, he will be subject to discipline that is reasonable under the circumstances, including an increased fine and/or suspension.

Interesting, that'll be weird to see an NBA without flops.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone flops but does not get the call, they still get fined, right? (Assuming it is after the warning.) Derek Fisher's going to lose a lot of money - and then get resigned because of his ability to flop.

I'm biased because I don't like Fisher that much (don't hate him either). His daughter was seen for eye cancer in New York, he said he needed to be bought out for his daughter. Then, he went to LA while his daughter continued to be seen in New York - farther away from New York than Utah was. I thought she'd transfer to LA, though the University of Utah has one of the best cancer treatment facilities in the country. I felt like he used his daughter to leave a team he didn't want to be on.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like a foul for flopping like soccer and hockey has......

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blake griffon is gonna need the business card of vince young's bankruptcy attorney

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teaches these fuckers to play basketball and not cry to win games.

tired of all the fucking flopping... gulliable refs + sleezy players = bad ball!

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a basketball fan, I hate flopping. It detracts from the players who are willing to put in work in the weight room and work to hone their craft as a defensive player.

That being said, I hate this rule. The biggest reason is that flopping is completely subjective. It's one of those "know it when I see it" plays, and without a baseline to quantify it, I think it is ridiculous. Instead of going to the root of the problem, i.e. the league in general becoming soft, they the NBA is going to try and implement this rule to show they're taking a stand against it. The actual solution to this problem is much simpler: either have the ref take a "no-call" stance on it, or call every single one as a block.

The refs should be the ones to regulate flopping. Once players start to realize that they're going to be called for fouls instead of charges, it'll start to click. Once they realize the guy they tried to flop on scored instead of having a charge called, they'll get the message. If a guy like Varaejo tries to flop 3 times in the first half and gets 3 blocking fouls called against him, don't you think that might affect his decision to try it again in the second half? If guys flop in the post and their man scores basket after basket, you don't think they'll try harder to muscle up?

This rule is an absolute cop out and not a solution to the problem. The NBA recognizes this is a star driven league and though they always claim opposite, the Stars will get the benefit of the doubt and subsequently more favorable calls. No one watches to see a guy like Dominic McGuire or Raja Bell shut down a super star. By having this rule in place, it allows them to still allow the plays to happen and it becomes a behind the scenes slap on the wrist. Total bullshit.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its more of a behind the scens type bull sh*t, that's why I'm more for an in game foul against floppers. Don't let them get away with it to dictate games. Do we want Sea/GB like game finishers in basketball anymore? no!

Maybe the Refs will need to adjust their way of reffing? like the ref on the other side of the court can't call a foul to a player that's 3-4 bodies infront of his line of sight.

Or actually watch freaking film on games and study the characteristics of flops and no flops....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a basketball fan, I hate flopping. It detracts from the players who are willing to put in work in the weight room and work to hone their craft as a defensive player.

That being said, I hate this rule. The biggest reason is that flopping is completely subjective. It's one of those "know it when I see it" plays, and without a baseline to quantify it, I think it is ridiculous. Instead of going to the root of the problem, i.e. the league in general becoming soft, they the NBA is going to try and implement this rule to show they're taking a stand against it. The actual solution to this problem is much simpler: either have the ref take a "no-call" stance on it, or call every single one as a block.

The refs should be the ones to regulate flopping. Once players start to realize that they're going to be called for fouls instead of charges, it'll start to click. Once they realize the guy they tried to flop on scored instead of having a charge called, they'll get the message. If a guy like Varaejo tries to flop 3 times in the first half and gets 3 blocking fouls called against him, don't you think that might affect his decision to try it again in the second half? If guys flop in the post and their man scores basket after basket, you don't think they'll try harder to muscle up?

This rule is an absolute cop out and not a solution to the problem. The NBA recognizes this is a star driven league and though they always claim opposite, the Stars will get the benefit of the doubt and subsequently more favorable calls. No one watches to see a guy like Dominic McGuire or Raja Bell shut down a super star. By having this rule in place, it allows them to still allow the plays to happen and it becomes a behind the scenes slap on the wrist. Total bullshit.

Maybe they split the baby, maybe to not make fining players a big issue, call charges and don't fine them. But if they get away with one, fine them. I say "get away with one" because you couldn't also tell players on offense that they can charge through anyone. How do you play defense without getting in front of driving fast breaks? Only block or distract? I think it's harder to not send messages that you don't intend when every call goes one way or the other. The standard should be based on what an average ref thinks an average offensive player has enough time to adjust, but doesn't. That's a charge, but jumping in front of the offensive player and calling it a charge happens too often. So be consistent and perhaps make the timing longer.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now can we get a fine for DB's and WR's that turn and ask for a flag every play?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd was saying that this would ruin the motivation to play defense by taking away passionate agressive play. Flopping is not defense, it's weak sauce - unfortunately it works all too often. Rob (I think) on First Take suggested technical fouls for flopping - though that ignores the difficulty and subjectiveness of calling flops. But he did have a point that winning > low fine that doesn't get serious until 6 offenses. If they gave in game punishment, then it would dessuade more than a fine. But isn't that called a blocking foul? ;)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd was saying that this would ruin the motivation to play defense by taking away passionate agressive play. Flopping is not defense, it's weak sauce - unfortunately it works all too often. Rob (I think) on First Take suggested technical fouls for flopping - though that ignores the difficulty and subjectiveness of calling flops. But he did have a point that winning > low fine that doesn't get serious until 6 offenses. If they gave in game punishment, then it would dessuade more than a fine. But isn't that called a blocking foul? ;)

As soon as charges are called fouls for Lebron, Rose, and Kobe, then we can worry about flopping/blocking being called.

The problem isn't flopping. The problem is "stars" are allowed 70000 fouls a game that aren't called.

And the product sucks. But changing what is called in-game won't fix that.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA adopts new anti-flopping rule

Interesting, that'll be weird to see an NBA without flops.

There'll still be flops, it's just that players will be more discrete about it. You'll get your occasional fines here and there especially with the Euro players or guys such as Varejao, but trying to eliminate flops in basketball is like FIFA trying to eliminate diving in soccer -> sometimes players get red cards and suspensions for diving but it's rare or heck, otherwise you'd see chumps like Didier Drogba or Wayne Rooney or the queen of flopping, Cristiano Ronaldo aka CR7, getting red carded.