• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - March Madness

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The race to the dance is hitting the stretch run! Duke and North Carolina have their first game tomorrow. Gonzaga with Pepperdine and BYU this week.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky’s Reid Travis left their game today with a knee injury.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guy in Singapore told me to bet heavily on the over, especially since this one is destined to go into overtime. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me which game he was referring to.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion leaves 33 seconds in with an apparent injury (and a blown out shoe). Carolina by 7 with 11 and a half left in the 1st half.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion will not return to the game tonight.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. UNC by 22 with 15:54 left.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC wins 88-72. 2 wins and Gonzaga’s back at #1.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were paying $10k to watch last night's game live. Barack Obama was there. They got one minute of Zion who plays for "tuition" and had the Nike shoe he's obligated to wear because Nike pays Duke millions annually for him to do so blow up and cause an injury that could've been much, much worse.

The NCAA is bullshit.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were paying $10k to watch last night's game live. Barack Obama was there. They got one minute of Zion who plays for "tuition" and had the Nike shoe he's obligated to wear because Nike pays Duke millions annually for him to do so blow up and cause an injury that could've been much, much worse.

The NCAA is bullshit.

I still don't buy the "college athletes should be paid" argument and that there is a systematic problem. I do think the NCAA is poorly managed and that colleges should be able to pay students who qualify a living stipend so they can eat, buy books, etc.

But athletic revenues provide universities with tens of thousands of scholarships and support both athletic and academic programs for students. They also give athletes a chance to audition to become millionaires while getting a free education to fall back on if it doesn't work out. That isn't the case for the millions of student athletes who play with no hopes of some payday in the future. Basketball and football fund tons of sports programs (especially for women) that develop leadership skills and have many other positive benefits.

The problem is the "bowl commitees" and outrageous salaries of basketball coaches/athletic directors. I think it's great for the nonprofit educational institutions to benefit from these programs (which in turn benefits the students), but the fact that your highest public official in many states is a football coach or you have event coordinators around the game making millions is where the scam comes in.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't buy the "college athletes should be paid" argument and that there is a systematic problem. I do think the NCAA is poorly managed and that colleges should be able to pay students who qualify a living stipend so they can eat, buy books, etc.

But athletic revenues provide universities with tens of thousands of scholarships and support both athletic and academic programs for students. They also give athletes a chance to audition to become millionaires while getting a free education to fall back on if it doesn't work out. That isn't the case for the millions of student athletes who play with no hopes of some payday in the future. Basketball and football fund tons of sports programs (especially for women) that develop leadership skills and have many other positive benefits.

The problem is the "bowl commitees" and outrageous salaries of basketball coaches/athletic directors. I think it's great for the nonprofit educational institutions to benefit from these programs (which in turn benefits the students), but the fact that your highest public official in many states is a football coach or you have event coordinators around the game making millions is where the scam comes in.
Those tens of thousands aren't distributed equally among post-secondary institutions and those players all take a risk in serious injury that can prevent them from future earnings for absolutely no reason.

I think NCAA basketball is going to have a big reckoning in the near future with guys going to play in Europe instead of the NCAA, if not outright going straight to the league out of high school once the NBA finally changes its current policy back to how it was when Kobe, KG and Tracy were drafted.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a back road which provides a short cut to the Trans-Canada highway which I often take, only issue is the road isn't that wide and people often walk right on the road as there is no shoulder. It scares the heck out of me especially at dusk when it's tough to see people. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for Jim Boeheim.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those tens of thousands aren't distributed equally among post-secondary institutions and those players all take a risk in serious injury that can prevent them from future earnings for absolutely no reason.

Just like students take a risk taking on debt in hopes of getting a higher paying and/or more satisfying job in the future. We all spend time and money on education, start out in lower jobs to work up to better ones, etc. I don't see how it's that different for college athletes except more people want to watch them and they don't have to take on the risk most of us do since their education is free (and often requires little to no effort).

The NCAA can't make the NBA change it's rule. I agree it's a stupid rule though. Baseball and hockey have it right. Football and basketball get that wrong.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like students take a risk taking on debt in hopes of getting a higher paying and/or more satisfying job in the future. We all spend time and money on education, start out in lower jobs to work up to better ones, etc. I don't see how it's that different for college athletes except more people want to watch them and they don't have to take on the risk most of us do since their education is free (and often requires little to no effort).

The NCAA can't make the NBA change it's rule. I agree it's a stupid rule though. Baseball and hockey have it right. Football and basketball get that wrong.
Don't get me wrong, for some it's fine. Not every good player was getting drafted out of HS in the 90s - some of that generation's best players were NCAA stars. I just don't think guys who would be in the NBA right now like Zion or, in the absolute worst case of this, Greg Oden should be forced to risk it all so some college program can make money off of his efforts.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, for some it's fine. Not every good player was getting drafted out of HS in the 90s - some of that generation's best players were NCAA stars. I just don't think guys who would be in the NBA right now like Zion or, in the absolute worst case of this, Greg Oden should be forced to risk it all so some college program can make money off of his efforts.

Agree with you on that. But like I said, isn't that an NBA rule? They don't allow players under a certain age to be drafted. That's not an NCAA rule or anything the NCAA controls.

Also, didn't Greg Oden just suck on his own? He did suffer from that looking like he was 43 when he was 19 disease. ;)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did suffer from that looking like 43 when he was 19 disease. ;)

Come on man, he's a goalie, probably stopped a lot of pucks with his face, that's not going to help keep a youthful appearance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you on that. But like I said, isn't that an NBA rule? They don't allow players under a certain age to be drafted. That's not an NCAA rule or anything the NCAA controls.

Also, didn't Greg Oden just suck on his own? He did suffer from that looking like he was 43 when he was 19 disease. ;)
It is an NBA rule, and it was put in place because some high schoolers were drafted and then teams would have no idea how to develop them. This was also before the D-league though.

The NCAA played no part in that, true, but their own rules at the time made it incredibly difficult for a player to get advice on what he should do with his life - if he spoke to an agent or any other NBA-related personnel professional for advice he would be automatically barred from NCAA play, which is horse shit when you consider these are 17 and 18 year old kids trying to make the biggest decision of their life.

In the NCAA's defence, they've put in new rules to try and prevent that should the NBA scrap "one-and-done" including allowing players to consult with NBA staffers prior to making any decision to commit to either a school or the draft.