• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: How I spent my summer vacation?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, NHL Boarders - school has started back up which means that fall is here (whether the earth's location in orbit agrees or not) and that means that we are getting so close to hockey!!

But since this week is the first week of school for many, it's time for us to hear your reports to the class on how you spent your summer vacation!

Got some stories to share? Got some pics, a video, or have a diorama showing what you did? Family car trip gone awry? Lovely vista? That big fish you caught? The class wants to see it! ;)

I started a new position about a year ago, so I don't have a ton of leave saved up yet, but I did get out for a backpacking trip this past weekend. I'm ashamed to admit I'm still a little sore from it - damn you middle age!! Here's a video of my adventure with some friends...

[YOUTUBE]yQwi-2X0i9g[/YOUTUBE]

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My summer vacation was a college visit road trip. The eldest child (43.5) went to look at Cornell, RIT, University of Rochester and University of Toronto. We spent a few days in the finger lakes region, then crossed into Canada and hung out in GTA for a few days, including a Saturday on Centre Island which we would gladly do again, just not on a Saturday. Went up into the CN tower, at night this time. Very cool. Spent a Sunday at Niagara, which the kids loved.

Then we went and stayed a few days in Chatham-Kent region of Western Ontario and found the area that we would someday like to buy a vacation house. A small community on Lake St Claire. Beautiful, freshwater lake and a adorable little town. Mitchell's bay, I think it was called. There was another great place on Erie called Rondeau that was pretty awesome too.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, 43 - sounds like a good trip. Did you sample any wine in the finger lakes? Bring any back to share with everyone here? ;) Visiting colleges - exciting times for 43.5 (that cracks me up, btw).

I too would like to find a nice lake in the North somewhere to retire on when I get old. It's an idyllic little scene with just me, my retriever, and a quiet place with a boat. My yet-to-be-found wife has passed for many years, leaving me with her family's huge inheritance and to chase the hot, local, 40-something divorcees around town. Aaaaahhh. ;)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost had a head-on collision with an Amish horse and buggy.

I had just gotten off the interstate near Mercer, PA and was crossing the overpass when on the other side, I saw an Amish man in his buggy attached to his horse, sitting off to the side of the road. All of a sudden, the horse spooked for some reason and charged at an angle toward the road and directly toward the path of my car (passenger side). I had to swerve into the oncoming lane (luckily no cars there) to avoid being hit by inches. My wife has the look on his face permanently burned into her brain, one of "I am going to meet my maker."

BTW, I was driving our new car we had just purchased in March.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent my entire summer staring unblinkingly at the I'm Bored thread waiting for the next game of family feud.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much vacation for me. Summer (more accurately April - September) is the busiest time of the year at my job so a lot of work. Travel for my job a lot though, so got to spend time in some nice places like Miami, Tampa, Denver, Vancouver, and Milwaukee.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much vacation for me. Summer (more accurately April - September) is the busiest time of the year at my job so a lot of work. Travel for my job a lot though, so got to spend time in some nice places like Miami, Tampa, Denver, Vancouver, and Milwaukee.

so what did you end doing in Vancouver?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a short road trip in July to Spokane and Coeur d'Alene - Went to an indoor trampoline place in Spokane and Silverwood Amusement Park (yes, it was my version of the Clark W. Griswold family road trip to Wallywood).

/Got pulled over by a state trooper in Washington state, no leash attached to the bumper though.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got new tub/toilet/sink/flooring installed in the main bathroom, then painted the walls.

Flying to Morehead City NC (actually New Bern NC, then driving the balance) late next month to spend a weekend with my kid sister & her family. - That will be my 'vacation' for this year.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what did you end doing in Vancouver?

Stayed in Coal Harbour the whole two weeks. Busy during the weeks so nothing but dinner in the evenings, but did have a weekend.

Saturday: Walked the entire sea wall from Coal Harbour to First Beach. Visited Granville Island. Lunch in Yaletown. Checked out the Zombie Walk. Strolled around Coal Harbour and downtown area for a while just seeing what I saw.

Sunday: Visited Grouse Mountain then strolled around Coal Harbour area some more.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got new tub/toilet/sink/flooring installed in the main bathroom, then painted the walls.

Flying to Morehead City NC (actually New Bern NC, then driving the balance) late next month to spend a weekend with my kid sister & her family. - That will be my 'vacation' for this year.

I had a similar element to my summer. Three weekends, starting with July 4th weekend, were spent removing the carpeting from a room, prepping the floor, painting the walls, and installing hardwood flooring. Came out great but a ton of work.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been there in a few years, but we used to spend a week every summer at an Emerald Isle beach house. Miss the place.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, 43 - sounds like a good trip. Did you sample any wine in the finger lakes? Bring any back to share with everyone here? ;) Visiting colleges - exciting times for 43.5 (that cracks me up, btw).

I too would like to find a nice lake in the North somewhere to retire on when I get old. It's an idyllic little scene with just me, my retriever, and a quiet place with a boat. My yet-to-be-found wife has passed for many years, leaving me with her family's huge inheritance and to chase the hot, local, 20-somethings around town. Aaaaahhh. ;)

on this (being my future) note (and fixed it for me)

we were in Kelowna each of the summer months long weekends (and will be again at the end of the week) ... never gets old ... always relaxing ... bbqs/visiting wineries/playing out on the water ... only thing missing this year was golf

highlight was my 5 year old son kneeboarded out on the big lake on a 4 minute ride ... and the wipeout was of epic proportions after a cigarette boat flew past us (all captured on video) ... once we saw him pop up and knew he was safe and the sense of dread went away, I was so so proud

/for the local guys ... we went here and walked around and its a nutso development in its infancy ... i say go for a hike up there if youre ever in the area

Kelowna Mountain | Your Gateway to Adventure

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of good stories, but a real paucity of pictures and/or dioramas! ;)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, who just googled paucity to find out the meaning? You could have used scarcity or dearth, but oh no, the lawyer has to use his fancy words.

:D

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of good stories, but a real paucity of pictures and/or dioramas! ;)

bird-computer-guyism.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stayed in Coal Harbour the whole two weeks. Busy during the weeks so nothing but dinner in the evenings, but did have a weekend.

Saturday: Walked the entire sea wall from Coal Harbour to First Beach. Visited Granville Island. Lunch in Yaletown. Checked out the Zombie Walk. Strolled around Coal Harbour and downtown area for a while just seeing what I saw.

Sunday: Visited Grouse Mountain then strolled around Coal Harbour area some more.

u a cdn citizen nouw?