• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Houston Astros sign stealing.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MHSL82, I just wanted to post this here, in case you wanted to talk about it. Or if you wanted to read my thoughts.

You don't have to go through these games or videos. But I thought you might be interested the extent that they stole signs.

In case you weren't aware, what they did was videotape the catcher, then bang on trash cans in the clubhouse. A banging meant there would be an offspeed pitch. No bang meant fastball.

I finally started looking into this.

Sign Stealing Scandal

Sign Stealing Scandal

It says double bang to Springer on the 0-2 count in the first inning, I only heard one, but yes, there was something.

Here's an interesting AB.

1:01:21

2nd inning.

4 bangs on the first 4 pitches.

Should have been a bang on the 5th pitch, but there wasn't. He hits a HR anyways.

I don't always hear the bangs when it says there's bangs. But for some of them, yes, I do hear it.

In this next game, it is really audible in this 12 pitch AB against Beltran.

Sign Stealing Scandal

2:03:27

I think it helps that the crowd wasn't as loud, due to it being a blowout. Makes it easier to hear.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of any team in baseball and so what I think is not very strong, but I do hate when people argue three things:

1. Regarding the option of removing the championship, people often argue that it’s never been done before. Holy cow, if that’s the reason why you wouldn’t do it, then let’s do it and get it over with so we have some precedence for next time.

2. Some people say that others do it and you are putting an emphasis on not being caught. Good. Don’t get caught. But if you are, get punished. I do believe anyone who does something, does it with the idea of never being caught. But I don’t like that a factor of that could possibly be that if you do get caught, you still get your contract, you still get the World Series, etc. If the stakes are so high that you will break your integrity to win by cheating, the stakes should be high when you’re caught. Do I feel bad that we don’t catch everyone who treats? Sure, whatever, it’s like how the last person to throw a punch is the one that gets kicked out of the game sometimes. (Not so much anymore with instant replay.)

3. There’s also the intellectual argument whether cheating got them the championship or not. Why give the benefit of the doubt? If you would think that a certain action is worthy of stripping them of the pennant, do. Even if you can’t prove that cheating helped them enough. It’s like Nixon where he won by a landslide even without Watergate. If you lose your presidency or you lose your pennant because of doing something that didn’t actually save you, then the jokes on you.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of any team in baseball and so what I think is not very strong, but I do hate when people argue three things:

1. Regarding the option of removing the championship, people often argue that it’s never been done before. Holy cow, if that’s the reason why you wouldn’t do it, then let’s do it and get it over with so we have some precedence for next time.

2. Some people say that others do it and you are putting an emphasis on not being caught. Good. Don’t get caught. But if you are, get punished. I do believe anyone who does something, does it with the idea of never being caught. But I don’t like that a factor of that could possibly be that if you do get caught, you still get your contract, you still get the World Series, etc. If the stakes are so high that you will break your integrity to win by cheating, the stakes should be high when you’re caught. Do I feel bad that we don’t catch everyone who treats? Sure, whatever, it’s like how the last person to throw a punch is the one that gets kicked out of the game sometimes. (Not so much anymore with instant replay.)

3. There’s also the intellectual argument whether cheating got them the championship or not. Why give the benefit of the doubt? If you would think that a certain action is worthy of stripping them of the pennant, do. Even if you can’t prove that cheating helped them enough. It’s like Nixon where he won by a landslide even without Watergate. If you lose your presidency or you lose your pennant because of doing something that didn’t actually save you, then the jokes on you.

What did you mean by this?

Why do you have to be a fan of a team, to have a valid point on the game (or what is happening in the league)?

I agree their championship should be vacated. Also, the owner should face some sanctions too.

Giving the players immunity was also stupid. If the league thought that the only way to get the truth was to give the players immunity, so that they would be more honest during the investigation, then the league should have just investigated harder, without offering immunity.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you mean by this?

Why do you have to be a fan of a team, to have a valid point on the game (or what is happening in the league)?

I agree their championship should be vacated. Also, the owner should face some sanctions too.

Giving the players immunity was also stupid. If the league thought that the only way to get the truth was to give the players immunity, so that they would be more honest during the investigation, then the league should have just investigated harder, without offering immunity.

Unless my team is specifically robbed, I don’t care too much about what is going on. Baseball is not my sport so it’s even further from my mind. I understand that one sport can have an effect on another as far as culture, as far as understanding of what the punishment could be, etc. and I would be upset if it negatively affected my team even indirectly, but as it is, my opinion is not that strong on it.

But you have to remember, I am a little bit different in that I would rather beat a team whose star is injured than to lose to a complete team. Everyone would rather beat the complete team or at least if they are going to lose, lose to the complete team, but I’m not so altruistic to want everyone to be healthy. I do not root for injury and I would never cause one on purpose. But if it happens, I don’t have really that much lamentation on not being able to play the tougher team.