• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Have I Been Duped?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""Roger Goodell said the NFL is considering a rule change on extra points: "You get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Could this be true?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""Roger Goodell said the NFL is considering a rule change on extra points: "You get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Could this be true?

Heard about this a few weeks back. Apparently bellichick has been harping about this for a bit.

Not sure I like the idea.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe they should focus on allowing replay on BS phantom hits to the head or changing the rule on replaying "ruled down by contact" be fore they F*CK UP the point system... SMH

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about this a few weeks back. Apparently bellichick has been harping about this for a bit.

Not sure I like the idea.

Really? I love it! It would really add a whole new dimension of strategy and some excitement to the extra point. The extra point is a given. 5 were missed this year for the entire year. But if they really want to improve the game, they should try getting some competent officiating crews.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I love it! It would really add a whole new dimension of strategy and some excitement to the extra point. The extra point is a given. 5 were missed this year for the entire year. But if they really want to improve the game, they should try getting some competent officiating crews.

I don't see what excitement it's adding. If anything, it's taking away the occasional excitement of a blocked kick or a "Haha, idiot kicker" when he shanks it.

It's not adding anything strategy-wise, it's just taking away the formality of kicking an extra point.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what excitement it's adding. If anything, it's taking away the occasional excitement of a blocked kick or a "Haha, idiot kicker" when he shanks it.

It's not adding anything strategy-wise, it's just taking away the formality of kicking an extra point.

Of course it would change strategy if by making the extra point you get 8 and by missing it you drop back to 6. How could it not change strategy?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I was watching other teams than yes it would be exciting. However If it's the niners game I would hate to lose a game because of the missed extra point.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was watching other teams than yes it would be exciting. However If it's the niners game I would hate to lose a game because of the missed extra point.

But you don't have to go for the extra point, you can just keep the 7. I bet you would like it though if the Niners were up 7 in a game and the other team scores. What happens then? do they try to win the game and risk losing it by dropping back to 6? Do they keep the 7 and go to OT? It would be fascinating.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it would change strategy if by making the extra point you get 8 and by missing it you drop back to 6. How could it not change strategy?

You misunderstand what he's saying. All that would change is that you don't have to kick an extra point if you don't want to. You automatically get 7 points on a TD. If you want to "go for two" like they do currently and you succeed, you get 8 points. Fail, you get 6.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy. You would still go for the eight points in situations where you go for two now. You would not go for two in situations where you would go for the point after now. The strategy doesn't change; it just gives you the automatic seven points instead of the frivolous point after kick (all but five a year).

But yes, this is not the most important thing in front of the competition committee. It's like when Congress was considering passing a law in regards to the volume of commercials versus the television show. Sure, I would love for the commercials not to be blasting when the television show is low but that isn't the most pressing issue we had to deal with. Even easy laws take time to draft and vote. Similarly, I want the competition committee to be fully focused on getting rid of unreviewable calls where we can.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You misunderstand what he's saying. All that would change is that you don't have to kick an extra point if you don't want to. You automatically get 7 points on a TD. If you want to "go for two" like they do currently and you succeed, you get 8 points. Fail, you get 6.

Meh, what I said is confusing.

He's saying:

No more extra point kicks. You automatically get that extra point on a TD.

Go for two and convert, you get 8 points.

Go for two and fail to convert, you get 6 points.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should start putting a spot on the field that if the QB stands on it and throws a TD it counts as 10 points. If there is a penalty on the defense inside their own 5 yard line the offense gets to choose a player to shoot 2 free throws. Ot just have a point total for each 10 yards on your opponents side of the field and do away with kickers all together. Get to the 40 you get 1 point, 30 2 points and so on.

Seriously though... if they want to make the extra point exciting instead of just an automatic... they should make them kick from further back. Or from the side of the end zone that they scored on. Something where it takes some skill.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. That's the way I understood it. The difference being you have a chance of losing a point that was already on the board which was never possible under the current rules.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy. You would still go for the eight points in situations where you go for two now. You would not go for two in situations where you would go for the point after now. The strategy doesn't change; it just gives you the automatic seven points instead of the frivolous point after kick (all but five a year).
But yes, this is not the most important thing in front of the competition committee. It's like when Congress was considering passing a law in regards to the volume of commercials versus the television show. Sure, I would love for the commercials not to be blasting when the television show is low but that isn't the most pressing issue we had to deal with. Even easy laws take time to draft and vote. Similarly, I want the competition committee to be fully focused on getting rid of unreviewable calls where we can.

No. What's different is you lose a point if you go for the extra point and don't make it. You don't get to keep the 7 so it is much more of a gamble.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. What's different is you lose a point if you go for the extra point and don't make it. You don't get to keep the 7 so it is much more of a gamble.

I understand what you posted in the original post, so I either don't understand this post I'm quoting or you don't understand the proposal. There are no more kicks under the proposal - you can either accept seven or go for the 8th point. If you fail, you lose a point, going to six. So going for 8 total versus keeping the 7 is the exact same as it is now.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's no more of a gamble than it is now if you choose to go for 2 and don't convert.

Nothing is changing, other than eliminating the extra point kick.

Now, you can either kick a (basically automatic) extra point and end up with 7 points total, or you can try to go for two and end up with 6 or 8 points.

Under his proposal you either take the 7 points without the formality of a kick, or you can try to go for two and end up with 6 or 8 points.

Strategically, nothing would change.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's no more of a gamble than it is now if you choose to go for 2 and don't convert.

Nothing is changing, other than eliminating the extra point kick.

Now, you can either kick a (basically automatic) extra point and end up with 7 points total, or you can try to go for two and end up with 6 or 8 points.

Under his proposal you either take the 7 points without the formality of a kick, or you can try to go for two and end up with 6 or 8 points.

Strategically, nothing would change.

As usual, someone said what I said more succinctly and clear.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want to eliminate it in order to have more time for commercials PLAIN AND SIMPLE.:gaah: