• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Food Allergies

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you or your loved ones or friends have any food allergies?

My daughter completed her Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) treatment for her peanut allergy in January. She went from being anaphylactic to contact to eating 24 peanuts a day in 6 months.

Just wanted to let you know about the treatment if any of you knew someone. They have it for peanuts, tree nuts, soy, milk, egg, fruits, fish, and some shellfish. 60+ doctors around the country do it.

A few points for those who might look into it:

1. It's not an experimental therapy; it's in private practice covered by most insurances.

2. The FDA regulates products like the peanut patch, the coming peanut pill, and the like. It does not regulate processes of food they have already approved, like peanuts. The FDA doesn't review, approve, or disapprove of OIT.

3. Any severity level can be treated, from mild hives to anaphylaxis from contact (airborne). Asthma or GI issues make it harder to start or finish, but can still be treated slowly.

Moderator: I apologize if you feel this should be deleted. I've been a member here since August 2011, I think, and feel like this is a place where I know some people as friends, but wouldn't know of allergies in their family.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing I don't have anyone that is allergic but I will keep it in mind if I find out any friends that might be allergic.