• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: FCS schools of the Commonwealth

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kinda out there, but if nothing else its a new topic. Has anyone else noticed the movements of the FCS schools in the Commonwealth recently?

Richmond: New stadium. Tiny capacity but surprising ameneties at the club level for FCS.

Liberty: Expansion to 30,000 seats with a master plan of 60,000+. Also upgrades and expansion of their basketball arena.

James Madison: Expansion to 25,000 with a master plan to 40,000+ (from looking at it, they could easily get 50,000 seats for a tiny bit more investment IMO). Their current phase will give them alot (not all) of the things Lane and Scott offer, and easily puts them in an elite category of FCS facilities. Master plan also includes a new basketball arena in the next decade.

Old Dominion: Restarted their football program by selling out their 20,000+ seat stadium. Rumored to be selling out this year. Being in such a talent rich area, and so far away from Blacksburg and less so Charlottesville, they have potential.

It's like a mini "arms race" going on. JMU fans want to jump to FBS. Liberty wants to be a national university. Not even mentioned above, William and Mary are probably the best of the football teams this upcoming season. All this doesn't seem to make any difference to Virginia Tech as it stands, although Virginia happens to be recovering from a pretty rough spot, but I wonder what this might mean in the future. Could UVa and Tech be getting a "Temple" to play with down the road? With all this going on at once, where are the extra fans gonna come from (or do they)?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
W&M is going to be a legit pick to win it all this year. Once ODU gets established, that's going to be 4 solid teams from the Commonwealth.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
W&M is going to be a legit pick to win it all this year. Once ODU gets established, that's going to be 4 solid teams from the Commonwealth.

William and Mary is stacked for a Iaa squad, no doubt. I've been told the quarterback position is still up in the air though. I'd be concerned about that. I would suspect that Mike Paulus (former UNC) will win it out. Not many highly touted guys sit after transferring to a smaller school. Same with Aaron Corp at Richmond.

I wish VCU would start up a program too with City Stadium now vacant. It'd be a treat for CAA football with yet another Virginia rival in the mix. However, this city can't even support the few teams it has so I doubt that'll ever happen.